Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAMIYA F103 RM

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey all, I see I'm not the only one that's been thrashing on a body. It's good to see the intrist being revived with F1's again. I love these cars.

I've been working on a Williams FW18. It's sort of a pain in the butt body to paint, but I don't think it's as difficult as rxsevengt's ING body. HOLLY CRAP MAN! It sure looks nice...you gonna run it? I posted pics of the work as it goes along. I'm also working on a Sauber, no pics yet. That one shouldn't take nearly as much time. I think I've put in about ten hours today on the Williams.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Nice! I have an FW18 new in box too but I haven't had the time to paint it up. Plus I fear I will mess up a rare body too!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Location: Smashing the wall at the end of the straight @ Ryper Raceway

FW18 is bombed! Love your work, Want to do the FW16 one day, I like the Rothmans paint job, looks classy.
Raced the Renault today, First F1 in W.A for a long time on a new track. Didn't go too well for me but had the most fun in R/C I've ever had.
Needless too say Renault is a wreck, and funnily enough I blew an engine in the final just when I was starting to go well!
We had smashed wings, flying wheels, engines dying, was like a real GP.

I struggled with oversteer all day, however by the final I had a decent balance and went from 10sec. lap behind to 1 sec. a lap off the leaders best, so I managed to get on the pace, but I think with more track time the car can go alot faster, it's still twitchy and pretty badly behaved, and I know my ride height was way too high.

Mowed through a stack of spares, especially spur gears, But all in all a great day was had
Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Can anyone confirm the rumour I've heard about a F103R version being released by Tamiya next month?

Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
Can anyone confirm the rumour I've heard about a F103R version being released by Tamiya next month?

Actually, it is this month, more precisely next week. If you go to the Tamiya homepage it lists 2 new 103 kits
Old 10-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Below are some pics showing some updates to the Williams FW18 I've been working on. I got the front wing completed this morning, the rear wing is next. But I have to stop to watch some football.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dan the Man

Are you referring to the 15 Anniversary Edition kit? It's not a "R" kit, it actually looks more like a TRF kit. I've heard about this and actually seen some pictures on a Japanese RC shop web page. I found some pics of it but they're black and white and in Japanese. It looks pretty bad @$$! I'm down for getting one of those. I'll post some up tomorrow when I get to work.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

If anyone is looking for an F103RM, I have a new in the box kit with the "M" body style. I have too many cars and am getting away from R/C for the most part, and I would be willing to let it go for $150 (shipped). I'm not real interested in shipping outside of the U.S. though. I also have a set of brand new TRF shocks (4) for F103s, still in the box, too. I was set to plop them both on eBay this week, but if anyone wants either, it would save me the time and effort...

PM me here or AIM/Yahoo: upon3

doug
Old 10-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Regular

So i was just curious to see if any of you have added tweak screws to the f103. Just seems to me that handling would be drastically improved and i'm keen to test it out. but I also wanted to find out if there were any rules against adding such modifications. I certainly don't want to do anything that's illegal. I just think it would improve the car. so your thoughts are welcome.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vyger
Are you referring to the 15 Anniversary Edition kit? It's not a "R" kit, it actually looks more like a TRF kit. I've heard about this and actually seen some pictures on a Japanese RC shop web page. I found some pics of it but they're black and white and in Japanese. It looks pretty bad @$$! I'm down for getting one of those. I'll post some up tomorrow when I get to work.
Some pics here - http://www.rc-japan.de/article.php?id=277&pg=1&anch=0. Looks very nice!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rewp
So i was just curious to see if any of you have added tweak screws to the f103. Just seems to me that handling would be drastically improved and i'm keen to test it out. but I also wanted to find out if there were any rules against adding such modifications. I certainly don't want to do anything that's illegal. I just think it would improve the car. so your thoughts are welcome.
If you do it on the pivot ball rear end it is in bounds, but not on the oring
It does help, although there are two ways to use it. Like a 12th scale where the tweak screws apply constant pressure or use them to limit the movement, kind of like bump stops. It all depends on track conditions
Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by veecee
I just got convinced to wait for the F103R version instead of the RM. Very nice car!!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the TRG slicks? How do they perform on smooth asphalt? I noticed there are 2 available compounds (hard & medium) for the front while only 1 for the rear. Which combination works best? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool
Has anyone tried the TRG slicks? How do they perform on smooth asphalt? I noticed there are 2 available compounds (hard & medium) for the front while only 1 for the rear. Which combination works best? Thanks.
I run the medium fronts with the rear (only 1 compound) on semi-smooth semi-dusty asphalt, and they go quite well. I tried foams (38F 30R) but the rubber tyres hook up better. Just remember to rotate the tyres from LH to RH after every run as they do scrub quite a bit. Oh yeah... they squeal heaps too!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Sweet! Can't wait to get the F103R!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.