Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree867Likes

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 06:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Mid-tear down last night to install Tamiya bearing set, replace several incorrect screws, and give it a light cleaning. I also installed the alloy motor mount and a new pinon. The original was in rough shape. It also could use a new spur gear but this one should work for the time being. It would be nice if Tamiya sold the stock spur gear separate, as aposed to buying the whole parts pack it comes with.

Back together but still have some work to do and parts to gather.

I need to get it running today and get a pack or two through it, then I'll tear it down again and rebuild the diffs and re-grease everything.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

your steering links are in different holes on the knuckles
gigaplex and 94SRUNNER like this.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Yep....Whatever you do, do not grease anything other than inside the gear diffs...Use only dry lube if you want to go faster....
Also polish all steel parts and spray 303 protectant on all plastic and rubber parts before you TQ....
94SRUNNER likes this.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Good catch. Thanks...that is what I get for late night wrenching...

Originally Posted by Kregger
your steering links are in different holes on the knuckles
Old 06-25-2022, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Yep....Whatever you do, do not grease anything other than inside the gear diffs...Use only dry lube if you want to go faster....
Also polish all steel parts and spray 303 protectant on all plastic and rubber parts before you TQ....
Would graphite lube work?
Old 06-25-2022, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

I know graphite lube is very slippery, but I have never used it. I can't comment on it.....
I also forgot about removing all the bearing grease and seals, and use light oil. Make sure the bearings fit loosely in all the hubs...
94SRUNNER likes this.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:56 PM
Tech Champion

I know graphite lube is very slippery, but I have never used it. I can't comment on it.....
I also forgot about removing all the bearing grease and seals, and use light oil. Make sure the bearings fit loosely in all the hubs...
Removing bearing seals might be against TCS rules.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

If it is illegal to remove the bearing seals, then let all the bearings soak in brake cleaner until all the grease is gone, and add a drop of oil per bearing...After that, break in the bearings in the vehicle for at least 100 laps...The more the bearings are run, the faster the truck will go...You can also break in the motor bushings with polish or tooth paste, after zapping the motor magnets: nobody will catch you after that....Lots of folks have old brushed motor zappers at home: good luck getting one on ebay...Hopefully magnet zapping is not against tcs rules, and all tracks should offer magnet zapping services for a small fee to level the field...lol....
Old 06-26-2022, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

If it is illegal to remove the bearing seals, then let all the bearings soak in brake cleaner until all the grease is gone, and add a drop of oil per bearing...After that, break in the bearings in the vehicle for at least 100 laps...The more the bearings are run, the faster the truck will go...You can also break in the motor bushings with polish or tooth paste, after zapping the motor magnets: nobody will catch you after that....Lots of folks have old brushed motor zappers at home: good luck getting one on ebay...Hopefully magnet zapping is not against tcs rules, and all tracks should offer magnet zapping services for a small fee to level the field...lol....
Zapping a motor will cause it to exceed the RPM limits and make it illegal.
94SRUNNER likes this.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Not to mention that the bearing treatment is gonna make it a maintenance monster.

And that battery strap isn't legal. And those blue things under the front screws, don't look legal... And the body is missing parts, so isn't legal.

If that truck were on the podium, I'd be making some noise.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Not to mention that the bearing treatment is gonna make it a maintenance monster.

And that battery strap isn't legal. And those blue things under the front screws, don't look legal... And the body is missing parts, so isn't legal.

If that truck were on the podium, I'd be making some noise.
No plans to zap the motor.

This is still a work in progress and I realize it is not close to being considered legal. It was in a major state of neglect when I purchased it and continue to find issues. So much so that I’ll likely purchase a new kit and use this as a parts rig. As you mentioned the body is missing pieces not to mention was awfully finished. But I digress, it is enjoyable.

Brought it with me on a work trip to have something to do in the evenings. As I looked it over this evening I found that the rear arms were flipped so it had the incorrect wheelbase. That was fixed as were the rear body mounts. I still need to track down the correct ones for the front as the PO had a homemade set up installed.

Much more to do.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 94SRUNNER
This is still a work in progress and I realize it is not close to being considered legal. It was in a major state of negl
Much more to do.
Oh, so this is all F'n PO problems. hahahaha.

I'd really recommend getting some decent servo in there. Before I learned my lesson, I was chasing all sorts of problems on cars, until I figured out the car was listening to my commands, just LATER. Those 25kg servos are.. dog slow. Fine for crawlers, bad for race trucks.

I might have spare battery mount stuff. I know I have a spare body.
94SRUNNER likes this.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Oh, so this is all F'n PO problems. hahahaha.

I'd really recommend getting some decent servo in there. Before I learned my lesson, I was chasing all sorts of problems on cars, until I figured out the car was listening to my commands, just LATER. Those 25kg servos are.. dog slow. Fine for crawlers, bad for race trucks.

I might have spare battery mount stuff. I know I have a spare body.
I don't think the PO had any plans for rules specific racing and they took quite a few liberties as you can see from the pictures.

Great tip about the servo. Not only is it slow, it is really heavy. I'll need to do a little research and figure out what is a good solution.

Last edited by 94SRUNNER; 07-01-2022 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

I like the HobbyKing Trackstar D99x, or TS-411. Both are fast enough nobody who's used my cars have noticed.

You can't go wrong with Savox. To get more suggestions you'll need to ask here. :-) I sorted out my servo problem 4 years ago, and haven't needed to look again since.
94SRUNNER likes this.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Straight Zapping magnets( no advance timing zap) only increase torque and efficiency while rpms vary slightly: legal...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.