Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think what a lot of people here are forgetting is that the purpose of VTA is to have fun, not win. I personally have no problem with the current rules (or the speed), but was throwing a cheap idea out for consideration. If everyone's so concerned about "keeping up with the Joneses", here's your solution: Run in the B-Main, and be happy.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
Oh you drive dirty and you know it. Excpet when you got that fancy body on it cand scratch that one up I been fealing the same way with the rules but is probly just gonna be wishfull thinking.I don't know about the 5.2 raito we tested it at RCP and you could take a nap going down the stretch. defenatly woulden't work at trackside 5.0 is not too bad I bet (maby) 4.6-4.8 is a good all around track gear
I watched a 5.0-5.2 FDR GTB powered VTA car a couple of weeks ago at Trackside that qualified 2 or 3rd and was as fast as any other 4.2 FDR car on the track, hence the new FDR rule for the Novak Race in January.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz406
LOL it's sad like confessing to an addiction but

"Yes I have a GTB" is a sad tone of voice.

I think the most logical solution is limit FRD to 5.0 and not allow timing boost. Just turn off the boost and slow down the speeds on the straights.

I have ran at a few events that have limited the gearing to 5.0 FDR and it's still fast enough and the racing was close. The advantage was that the timing advance speedos were going into the 5.7 to 6.0 ratio to beat you in the infield and the boost function to motor you on the straights too.

I'm out till I get a new speedo or the rules get changed to stop boost. I like many others are not interested in buying 1s lipos and new motors after running VTA for a year with this equipment.

Best case is

limit gearing and turbo IMO
Hi....my name is John - I have a 4 year old plastic tub car, I run a GTB and I'm addicted to VTA....
Old 12-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer X79
Hi....my name is John - I have a 4 year old plastic tub car, I run a GTB and I'm addicted to VTA....
Hi John! (in my best group therapy voice. )
Old 12-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
Hi John! (in my best group therapy voice. )
LMAO - I saw that coming!!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In those meeting you get coins for time in group. My wallet gets lighter the longer Im in this group
Old 12-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer X79
hey Dude... hehehe

you need a fix???? I got some good stuff here....

wait, you're not a cop are you?

check this grade "A" stuff out

750 laps VTA Enduro Dec 27th

qualifing starts noon

www.thunderrcraceway.com

broadcast on www.liverC.com if you can't handle it in person....
Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

The easiest way to keep costs down are to have a "buy out" rule. Set amounts for motors, esc, batteries and possibly chassis. Let some one run what ever esc they want, if they win, the someone can buy the esc, motor, batteries, or chassis for the "buy out" price for that piece of equipment.

It is done in amatuer full size car racing.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Dad
Last year me and my 2 boys all ran 1/12 stock pan, and this year when that class switched to 1s lipo/brushless I found myself stuck with thirteen high-end matched 4-cell 4200, 4600 packs. Having hundreds of dollars of suddenly obsolete equipment isn't a good feeling.

Then I discovered VTA. Perfect, a cheap class to use those packs in along with my still good brushed electronics. Nope, 27T brushed wasn't even close to competetive so I went brushless 17.5. So much for cheap. Speed is OK now but still not nearly as fast as 21.5 guys. Why can't it just stay a stock freakin' class?

Screw it, I'm going to keep running my 17.5 on 4-cell and going slow until someone bans my round cells in this class too.

I got the 21.5 and 7.4V lipo setup and I am not as fast as the other 21.5 guys either!

See you next race RC Dad!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
hey Dude... hehehe

you need a fix???? I got some good stuff here....

wait, you're not a cop are you?

check this grade "A" stuff out

750 laps VTA Enduro Dec 27th

qualifing starts noon

www.thunderrcraceway.com

broadcast on www.liverC.com if you can't handle it in person....
WOW! that sounds like alot of FUN!...I betcha you will get alot of "stick" time in....lots of giggles and excitement...and this is happenning this Sunday, after Christmas....lots of prizes and trophies, and a concourse as well...Oh boy I would love to run in that....and its only $10 per person($30 team)....
Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by volracer
The easiest way to keep costs down are to have a "buy out" rule. Set amounts for motors, esc, batteries and possibly chassis. Let some one run what ever esc they want, if they win, the someone can buy the esc, motor, batteries, or chassis for the "buy out" price for that piece of equipment.

It is done in amatuer full size car racing.

That'd be somewhat realistic if we were all running identical equipment... But we're not. Usually it's just the motor buy out in rc anyway.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trerc
My motor is already silver, with a pretty purple stripe

I think the logical solution would be to divide the class into 2 groups, the ones that wanna go fast and the ones that dont. Seems logical to me from what I gather the fast guys dont really wanna go slow and the slow guys dont really wanna go fast and neither group wants to buy new equipment so...What to do??

Thunder in Nashville does that to an extent. Sometimes you will see them run a Pro TA class which is straight USVTA rules, and then the other VTA class has relaxed rules.

I wouldnt mind seeing a class just for kids, noobs, and more casual racers that would do the following:
1. Slow down the pace. I think 1s lipo with 17.5 would be a good option.
2. Use street or sports bodies including the ones in VTA.
3. Allow wings but limit the rake on them to no more than 4mm. That would allow drift wings but eliminate TC wings (Unless you shaved them down to almost flat.)
4. Use treaded D compound tires inlcuding the VTA legal tires.

If you follow this recipe you could build a sports car like a modern Mustang or RX7 to race, or you could change the Battery and motor out in your VTA car and use it. Dont know what you would call the class but I would like to see something like it in areas where VTA is large enough to sustain it. The smaller VTA class in Nashville is the closest thing to this that I have seen so far.

This is not the first time I have mentioned this, but it sticks with me.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Thunder in Nashville does that to an extent. Sometimes you will see them run a Pro TA class which is straight USVTA rules, and then the other VTA class has relaxed rules.

I wouldnt mind seeing a class just for kids, noobs, and more casual racers that would do the following:
1. Slow down the pace. I think 1s lipo with 17.5 would be a good option.
2. Use street or sports bodies including the ones in VTA.
3. Allow wings but limit the rake on them to no more than 4mm. That would allow drift wings but eliminate TC wings (Unless you shaved them down to almost flat.)
4. Use treaded D compound tires inlcuding the VTA legal tires.

If you follow this recipe you could build a sports car like a modern Mustang or RX7 to race, or you could change the Battery and motor out in your VTA car and use it. Dont know what you would call the class but I would like to see something like it in areas where VTA is large enough to sustain it. The smaller VTA class in Nashville is the closest thing to this that I have seen so far.

This is not the first time I have mentioned this, but it sticks with me.
Or even the 25.5 with a 2s pending how the testing goes, could create a 21.5 Pro VTA and a 25.5 Pro Stock VTA. I"m not trying to stir a bunch of shit here I'm simply saying the VTA formula seems to be working for the majority of us. Why throw a wrench in it?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trerc
Or even the 25.5 with a 2s pending how the testing goes, could create a 21.5 Pro VTA and a 25.5 Pro Stock VTA. I"m not trying to stir a bunch of shit here I'm simply saying the VTA formula seems to be working for the majority of us. Why throw a wrench in it?
I can see your point and VTA as it is right now still has a lot of appeal as a class. I would dare say that it remains one of the most fun classes to run. However there are two things that concern the guys who have been around it for a few years.
1. The increased speeds that were brought on by allowing the 21.5 lipo powerplant were unexpected and not comparable to the original 4 cell 27t setups that they were intended to be equal to. That problem has been amplified by the release of what we now call juiced ESC's.

2. The slower speeds were a feature that set VTA further apart from regular Touring and with it being faster, it now is more similar to TC and RCGT. Part of its uniqueness is lost, even if it remains a killer class as it stands.

I can see why you would feel like VTA is running fine and should not be tweaked, but many of us remember what was lost and would like to recapture it. But like you I too would like to not be an excrement disturber.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

The carpet track I race VTA is the largest and widest in the US. Turn out of VTA cars at about 15 twice a week. From what I have seen is everyone is running 21.5 and 5000mah max. We have several clsses that allow NOVAK only ESC's. If you don't like Novak then you don't run---period. Come Jan 4 the new Esc will be allowed in some classes. Most racers like the idea of spec tires, motors and speed controls. What an even playing field concept. 2010 looks like it will be brushless only classes for most classes. I can buy new Havoc esc all day for $90 backed by Novak great service. I think this is the best deal on the planet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.