Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Corally_27
i just bought a tekin esc and i was wondering which motor suit the esc best the esc is the tt1153 and the motor we are going to use is the 13.5t
I have been more than happy with the Tekin Redline 13.5 motor
Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
I have been more than happy with the Tekin Redline 13.5 motor
So was I till i cooked it at the weekend they dont like 140 degrees C
Old 07-14-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wiring tip for the Tekin ESC...

Tired of soldering the wires to the posts and heating up the circuit board might damage it? Here is what I did to solve the issues and only soldering the connectors just once...

1. Tin the ESC solder posts...
2. Purchase 5 female 3.5mm diameter gold plated "Super Bullet" connector
3. Tin the insides of connector ( use a small tip )
4. Heat the post and connector and slide on, make sure the low part is facing out.
5. Solder the bottom of the connector and the post to make sure it’s a joint
6. Removed by popular demand....
7. Solder the wire to the top of the connector and you are done...
8. Anytime you want to change wires its a snap......
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RS ESC sensored-ptk-5034.jpg  

Last edited by Nova F1 Racer; 07-14-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Wiring tip for the Tekin ESC...

Tired of soldering the wires to the posts and heating up the circuit board might damage it? Here is what I did to solve the issues and only soldering the connectors just once...

1. Tin the ESC solder posts...
2. Purchase 5 female 3.5mm diameter gold plated "Super Bullet" connector
3. Tin the insides of connector ( use a small tip )
4. Heat the post and connector and slide on, make sure the low part is facing out.
5. Solder the bottom of the connector and the post to make sure it’s a joint
6. Put shrink wrap over the connector.NO!
7. Solder the wire to the top of the connector and you are done...
8. Anytime you want to change wires its a snap......
This would be an OK approach if it weren't for the heat shrink part. The solder posts are the ESC's heat sink and you never want to insulate them! If you have a good, complete solder joint between the post and the connector the heat sink function shouldn't be compromised, but the shrink wrap is a no-no.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

He's right, shrink wrapping the solder posts is a NO NO. That is effectively our heat sink and wrapping it up will negate any cooling it has.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
6. Put shrink wrap over the connector.
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

Had a friend at the track who was thermaling his tekin RS with a 6.5. He had some heatshrink on his solder posts... that didn't even go all the way down. Took the heatshrink off altogther, and he went from thermaling, to barely luke warm.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Just wanted so see if any one can help me out with this:

I recently installed a new Tekin RS in my Car and set it up. When I go out on the track, after about two- three minutes, the power and speed decreases significantly. Does anyone know what is causing this? OR how to make it Stop? I had this happen with on of my other Tekins and had to send it back, but the one I am using currently is only a week old.

I tried resetting the speed control but this did not work. Then, I was told putting on 189 firmware and then back to 203 would fix this problem, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions, or has any body had this issue? Could it be the motor. (LRP X12 13.5) Track was a 140' by 70' outdoor asphalt.

thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samstheman2

I recently installed a new Tekin RS in my Car and set it up. When I go out on the track, after about two- three minutes, the power and speed decreases significantly. Does anyone know what is causing this? OR how to make it Stop? I had this happen with on of my other Tekins and had to send it back, but the one I am using currently is only a week old.

I tried resetting the speed control but this did not work. Then, I was told putting on 189 firmware and then back to 203 would fix this problem, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions, or has any body had this issue? Could it be the motor. (LRP X12 13.5) Track was a 140' by 70' outdoor asphalt.

thanks!
post your set up then maybe people can help more
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Lord

thanks!
Sounds to me like your turbo stops working as your "full throttle" position moves later in the run. Been a bug on the ESC since turbo was released. The fix is easy:

1. Set throttle EPA to 90%
2. Re-calibrate ESC
3. Set throttle EPA back to 100%

try that.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

203 doesn't have the "bug" of throttle calibration but I do know that some radios signal set points wander more than others. If you're using a KO radio set your epa's to 95 on both hi and lo. Calibrate the RS, then set your epa's to 100..adjust your brake from there.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Sounds to me like your turbo stops working as your "full throttle" position moves later in the run. Been a bug on the ESC since turbo was released. The fix is easy:

1. Set throttle EPA to 90%
2. Re-calibrate ESC
3. Set throttle EPA back to 100%

try that.
Been a bug on the ESC since turbo was released.
that's works for me on 199,200,203 just fine...
Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

I have exactly the same thing happening to my rs pro. The motor isn't hot but after 2-3 minutes the speed is just gone. i already had this last summer season and i can't seem to cure it. I have tried everything. Setting epa on 90 and then to 100 etc etc. I now rebooted the esc and put first v180 on and after that v203. Now I also put a new cap on of 24v 4700uF 108c (it is a HUGE cap!) and i placed a fan to blow against the posts. I will have to see if that will work.

The strange thing is that i didn't seem to have any problems in the winter period when it was very cold in the indoor track facility. Now that i am outside with the heat of teh summer on a large track the problems are back again.

If the problem still excists (still have to test them cause of very bad weather here) is it possible to send it in to check it? (or get it replaced? it is not fun when you blaze away for 2-3 minutes and the speed suddenly is gone.

By the way...this is with a 10.5t, 2s lipo in a pro10. I use a futaba 3pm 2.4ghz fasst. Like i said, i already had it last year as well so it really gets annoying as i can't find the problem.

thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
I have exactly the same thing happening to my rs pro. The motor isn't hot but after 2-3 minutes the speed is just gone. i already had this last summer season and i can't seem to cure it. I have tried everything. Setting epa on 90 and then to 100 etc etc. I now rebooted the esc and put first v180 on and after that v203. Now I also put a new cap on of 24v 4700uF 108c (it is a HUGE cap!) and i placed a fan to blow against the posts. I will have to see if that will work.

The strange thing is that i didn't seem to have any problems in the winter period when it was very cold in the indoor track facility. Now that i am outside with the heat of teh summer on a large track the problems are back again.

If the problem still excists (still have to test them cause of very bad weather here) is it possible to send it in to check it? (or get it replaced? it is not fun when you blaze away for 2-3 minutes and the speed suddenly is gone.

By the way...this is with a 10.5t, 2s lipo in a pro10. I use a futaba 3pm 2.4ghz fasst. Like i said, i already had it last year as well so it really gets annoying as i can't find the problem.
Sounds like motorfade to me. I used to run a fan+heatsink on my motor to have the car be consistent thru the whole 5minutes, it kept the motor at 45degree celsius at all times. Single laptimes did not improve but removing the small mistakes made my 5minute record 4s better.

This is very common in the higherturn classes when you have to run alot of timing.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by OVA
Been a bug on the ESC since turbo was released.
that's works for me on 199,200,203 just fine...
It was verified as a bug/issue in 199 by Tekin.. was supposed to be fixed for 200 but wasn't, and has been experienced and fixed by countless people with every walk of hardware on almost every page of this thread going back to 199. If you dont see the issue, great.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

motor doesn't get hot, 149 til 167fahrenheit (65C til 75C) It always starts after 2-3 minutes.

Others that use it in a TC have the same tempeture and they have constant acceleration and speed so i don't think it can be motor fade. I have heard of someone (club member) using a rs pro without any timing advance (zero timing) and oddly enough he had the same problems as well after 2-3 minutes ( 30 degreesC outisde). he put in an old spx or something and speed was constant again. Could some esc be very sensitive to heat? I am using an rs-pro so heat should not be a problem with a 10.5t?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.