Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by Nexus
rookie...sounds like the Pro4 is working out for you nicely.

hopefully i'll set you out at the track soon....just got finished prepping my Pro4 chassis and will start building it this week.
Man, you know I setup my PRo 4 per Kevin and RobK spec...and that works out PERFECT at outdoor.....only thing that slow my down to the top spot is............I don't know how to use the lathe or have no one to help me on fixing my motor....

Other then that, nothing slow my PRO 4 down..................

You will love that car and definitely looking forward to run with you..

Make sure get a set of F/R arms, front steering knuckle, a set of PINS, rear uprights, and a set of ball stud (long and short)....
Old 08-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been thinking about the Pro4 a lot lately-even though I quit running it. All the racing and testing I did was with the hinge-pin blocks on the chassis or at most raised 1mm to 1.5mm for pro-squat or anti-dive.

I am curious-anyone tested the car on carpet with foam tires with hinge-pin blocks raised 3 or 4mm?

What were the results?

Ray
Old 08-10-2004, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Kevin K
Good job rookie......and the Tinley park track is like 200ft by 100ft. And that gearing is a little under geared for that track.....but that would depend on the size of your tires. I ran 36/98 with a 9t on the track with 60mm tall tires. At the second points race there was 3 of us that went a lap faster then Nitro on that track layout. Its funny to see the looks on the nitro guys faces when we are that much faster or even pass them on the straight......yeah electric cars are slow....lol.

Im gald that you like your car.

Euge raced his on sunday.....he seems to like it alot too.

Keep it up and I will look for you out at RSJ this winter.
Kevin K....yeah, once I am settle with the whole NITRO thing....PRO 4 will managed to spent all my money this coming WINTER....and at RSJ, you, rob, euge and NEXUS (LOL....he just joined the DARK SIDE.....LOL).........are what I have to hang around with.....really, I have quite a lot to learn on elect, especially those MOTOR and battery thingy, that, I cannot just READ on the web, I need someone "HOLD MY HAND" and show me...

Don't worry, BEER and BURGERS on me...................
Old 08-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by robk
"..I ran a 15 laps on the 3rd heat, and then another 14 laps on the main.....and my NITRO best time is still a 14 laps........."

Nice job rookie.....are you ready for foam???!?!?!
Robk, that was on FOAMS (yeah, I also need to learn HOW to run rubber)....but those foams are my 2 years old NITRO left over foams with 54mm rear and 52mm diameter.....(good thing I didn't throw those old foams away........they ended up working with the car very nicely)

I was almost running with the CHASSIS (stripped 1 spur gear cause it rub the ground).........at least every one around the track asking "WHAT was those spoke underneath your chassis..."?

P.S. on the last Sunday.....all rubbers run like 13-14 laps only....like usual, top guns are all FOAMS.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Ray - not sure about the 3 mil roll blocks. I ran mine for the first time on carpet this sunday. I Just kinda guessed at a setup.
I had to make some changes. not many. I am using 1 mil up front and 1.5 in the back. I Think that you would have to much traction with them that high. Oh yeah. I am running the stock chassis and top deck. No 3 mill chassis here baby. I like to use the stock stuff. My TC3 had the Plastic chassis. No graphite. I did very well Locally with it last Winter.

I am very happy with the way it preformed on its first outing. Not sure if you remember when I said that I race will Billy Sydor. I was with in .1 of the the fastest lap at in stock class. Billy was fastest. Fairly close to stock set up. That is the funny part. I think that it would only need some minor tunig to get to where I like it. Billy and I finished about 1 sec apart in the main. I started 2nd and finished 2nd. Especially since I never changed My Stock motor all day. I ran it 8 times. I can't wait to take it apart and Check it out. it will be a while before I run it again. its Still Nitro season.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
especially those MOTOR and battery thingy, that, I cannot just READ on the web, I need someone "HOLD MY HAND" and show me...
You'll have no problem with any electric questions you have, but there's no way anyone's going to hold your hand.....
Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by 2Fast4U2
I am very happy with the way it preformed on its first outing. Not sure if you remember when I said that I race will Billy Sydor. I was with in .1 of the the fastest lap at in stock class. Billy was fastest. Fairly close to stock set up. That is the funny part. I think that it would only need some minor tunig to get to where I like it. Billy and I finished about 1 sec apart in the main. I started 2nd and finished 2nd. Especially since I never changed My Stock motor all day. I ran it 8 times. I can't wait to take it apart and Check it out. it will be a while before I run it again. its Still Nitro season.
Cool!! I was never unhappy with my car mind you-easy to drive. I just wish I tried th higher roll center.

I hear ya on too much traction on carpet!!

Ray
Old 08-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Well we are getting a new carpet track Here in Hutchinson, KS and I have just ordered a pro 4 from the local shop...will be asking for some setup tips from you 2fast. We are excited to have a local carpet track now!

Jeff
Old 08-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL

One thing I don't like about the Pro 4 is that you have to take off the WHOLE upper deck (12 screws) then take off another 2 to access the differential. On my Brokomo, you just take out a pin or something and the spur comes out or take off 2 screws for the diff case and it comes out.
You can get away with taking apart either end by taking out the screws covering the diff case and sliding the diff case out from under the top deck. The deck will flex a little. Be careful when doing this for the rear diff case, when you re-install the top of the diff case.Take care not to bend the shims on the input shaft. Disassembling the front end, this way, is very easy. Happy Wrenchin'!
Oh yeah, you may have to pop off the ball cups of the sway bars to make things easier.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ray-

The week before the nationals, when i was at the gate, I had been running the car like 1mm under the blocks. I wound up trying 2mm all around . i did notice the car went from feeling smooth to a feeling like it would roll onto "bumpstops". Basically, the the car wants to take a set INSTANTLY. It lost a ton of steering. i suppose that there may have been a way to take advantage of that theoretically, but I did not have the time or inclination. Besides, don't we want to free the car up?

Maybe going higher would be beneficial for rubber tire, as slip angles come into play more-- i.e. more sliding. Foams have much more side bite, and the car sort of needs to be slower to roll the sprung weight.

I tend to think of the roll center more controlling the amount of time the car needs to roll. The lower the roll center the longer the chassis will be in motion. High roll centers tend to make the car react faster. With foam, the car has lots of side bite making the chassis want to rol alot anyway. We control this by getting the roll center lower.

This is sort of my seat of the pants thing and you may want to consult a copy of 'Tune to Win' (ask Seaball).

Speaking of Seaball, this may rival some of his posts in length
Old 08-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Default A Question for Erik S

Hi Erik
A few of us in Australia have seen the postings about the free upgrade to v1.1 gearset that USA and Europe are getting, and the local importer of HPI, DSI, are not going to come good with this offer. Is there any way that those of us Down Under can get the free upgrade??

Thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Tech Addict

Just got some good news, the PRP chassis will be shipping next week! Can't wait to get hold of mine
Old 08-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

rayhuang, I think raising the hinge-pin blocks to 2 possibly 3mm might have the same effect as when guys went from plaid/purple tire setups to the dbl pink (orange)/dbl pink tire setups. On carpet you would have thought the dbl pink tires would have had too much side bite/traction but instead they allowed the cars to carry more corner speed. I think if the right combo of chassis roll and dampening is found the raised hinge-pin blocks could work....
Old 08-11-2004, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Default high roll on carpet v.2

robk-Teacher-thanks guys!!

I feel cheated in a way-I never got the Pro4 as fast I think it should be. Not that I didnt try!!! Theres a local guy who has a BMI Pro4, maybe I'll toss set-up ideas t him and see if he likes it better or not.

Ray
Old 08-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Ray, so is "EVERYBODY" that is racing on carpet running a 3mm chassis? Even on the X-ray? I assume Chicky must have set the new track record?? He is FAST at whatever he does!!

Cant wait to get the car on the rug next weekend!!! With extremely limited experience on carpet, this is gonna be interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.