Search
Like Tree1Likes

BMI Racing Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
ok guys,you all need to call keira and explain this to her.i want it like that too
Ditto brother!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

ok guys,you all need to call keira and explain this to her.i want it like that too
Remember not everyone has a wife that puts up with hobbies!!!!!!!!!! So of us I would say are so lucky its scary. The best was my wife calls my Nextel and I'm at the races. She then says I won that tire machine you were looking at on Ebay!!!!!!! My buddiis are like man she bought you a tire truer. They were shocked.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Jason,

Where can I find some proven setups for the new Xray chassis? I'm primarily interested in foam/carpet setups, but would like to see what was accomplished with rubbers as well if possible.

BTW,

I finally replaced the shock towers with the new BMI one's and performed some preliminary tests. The new shock mount holes on the rear tower are almost perfect with very little ride height change needed across the spectrum. But I was unable to use the innermost holes due to the top of the shock contacting the tower.

I did a little testing with the inner rear camber link mounts and the results promised a more stable and controlled rear end that is already on the light side. With the weight distribution as it is, the rear of the 05 doesn't seem to roll much and maximizing the use of grip from both the rear tires seems to be critical. Performing a cornering simulation on the setup blocks with the longer links showed that the outer rear still gains enough camber, but the inner rear doesn't gain as much as it did with shorter links. Therefore the inner rear should provide a larger contact patch to aid in stability and a little bit more grip over the entire rear axle. And of course the lower rear roll center doesn't hurt.

As the sun was going down, my curiosity got the best of me. I had my car already setup for foam/carpet testing tomorrow, with AE 40lb front springs, 35lb rears, 90wt oil, and a front anti-roll bar. I had tested this setup with a few packs two weeks ago and it worked well. But I ran with a thought and leaned the front and rear springs in 2 holes, put on a set of TakeOff's, adjusted the ride height to 6mm and mounted a freshly tuned Fantom 10x2 V2. I left the chassis stiff as a board with everything else the same. I was quite surprised to find that the car had pretty good grip on the asphalt in front of my house and the quick response from my foam/carpet setup was preserved. There was a little bit of initial entry and corner exit push, but I suspect these were due to the fact that I had 2 holes closed in the front shocks and still had the 2mm anti-roll bar on. I'd hazard a guess that removing the bar, opening a hole or two and raising the rear ride height .5mm would put it on rails.

There is a very lightly travelled T junction on our street in front of my house, that allows me to test high speed cornering as well. After getting a good run up to top speed, going through the corner required a noticeably less amount of steering input and the car didn't lose as much speed as it had before with the original chassis and softer setup.

Not bad for a pretty tight asphalt setup that required only a few minor changes from a good foam/carpet setup.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Brian - Why did you have to buy another tire truer?!?!?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:55 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by John Fontaine
Brian - Why did you have to buy another tire truer?!?!?
I didn't. The one I was talking about was that Hudy one I had the wife get for me while I was racing. It is the one you saw me with last year at WC. My other machine grew Docs and walked off.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Those Docinstocks really move fast! Have you unpacked your stuff since Sunday?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:52 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by John Fontaine
Those Docinstocks really move fast! Have you unpacked your stuff since Sunday?
I'm unpacked abd my TC4 is in a million pieces right now.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

Jason any plans for the TA05?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

no plans for a TA05 at this time buddy.maybe in the future.

Teamgp,
pretty cool buddy,thanks for the feedback.if you PM mark unrath(munrath on rc tech) he could help with a foam tire carpet setup.he has had very good results so far with my kit.

Last edited by protc3; 07-27-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wyd
Remember not everyone has a wife that puts up with hobbies!!!!!!!!!! So of us I would say are so lucky its scary. The best was my wife calls my Nextel and I'm at the races. She then says I won that tire machine you were looking at on Ebay!!!!!!! My buddiis are like man she bought you a tire truer. They were shocked.

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Teamgp- For carpet I would suggest checking out ralph's or mikes carpet nats set up, they are both dialed. I actually have been running a pretty standard xray set up all summer on carpet (my fk05 is very similar to my fk04 set up).

As far as rubber on asphalt check out jilles or peter's reedy race set up, but they are quite different, the carpet and rubber set ups, around a 15+lb/in difference in springs, less shock, a spool, etc...
Old 07-27-2005, 05:52 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!
Yeah but you have a Vette and I don't so something is going well!!!!!!!!!!! My wife is pretty cool but after 4 new 4 wheelers and 3 new bikes in 4 years she is getting tired of that and actually finally said something to me about it. I guess I deserved that.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Tech Lord

keira has been cool with me for getting the quad and all my other toys.i guess i cant complain.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:24 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

keira has been cool with me for getting the quad and all my other toys.i guess i cant complain.
True. Anytime you are allowed to buy toys they are cool!!!!!!!!!!!! They seem to be few and far between. For me it works out because my wife was married before and could never buy anything and lost all of her hobbies. Well now she has her hobby back (horses). She understands how much a hobby means and to loose it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Give the wives a break...they mean well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.