Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
Well here is something you could probably convert to the LCG SD.
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=418&id=4633

Oh and I know a guy who races his SDW everyweek and has not one thing broke cause it got into the gear boxes....
I like the open boxes it allows for a lighter and more free drive train...
Hope to see one real soon.....
Stephen <><

Cheers for the link!

I appreciate that machined alloy components can be made to finer tolerances than moulded composite, so alloy makes for more precise gear allignment, thus a more efficient transmission. However, open gearboxes simply aren't - nor ever will be - a fully satisfactory engineering solution on any type of car, for obvious reasons. And to be honest, there's no real reason why the gearboxes should be left open anyway.

The open gearbox look is certainly very distinctive and I see a 'trend' developing.

I suppose through chance alone, some people's SDWs will never swallow a stone or other foreign body through the gearboxes. But for others, it will happen - and sod's law dictates this will most likely occur during the most important race of the season!

I've always taken a belt & braces approach to racing and if I went and got an LCG SD, I'd definitely cover those gears up with lexan. Those Evo lexan gear covers could surely be adapted like you suggested?

Does anyone else here use lexan to cover up their gearboxes? If so - what do you use?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Horatio

I suppose through chance alone, some people's SDWs will never swallow a stone or other foreign body through the gearboxes.

Does anyone else here use lexan to cover up their gearboxes? If so - what do you use?
chance my you know what, i drive so fast, and those gears are spinning so crazy that stones don't have a chance,

2nd question, uummmm..... lexan. j/k
Old 05-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Pro4Capece
How hard is it to get the diffs out of the SDW?
You are going to be very suprised to know that the LCG bulkheads are very simular to the BD so getting the diffs out should only take four screws and they come right out the top. Take a very close look at the bulkheads and notice four screws....that how they made it very easy to work on.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 05-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

where can i get the lcg from at the moment?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by agower
where can i get the lcg from at the moment?
According to Matt Howard, it should be here state side by the end of the week. Its already out in Japan, so if you have any favorite shops there, give 'em an email to check availability.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default yokomo sd ssg

does anyone wanna buy mine for 180 shipped i dont want it i want money for some rims
Old 05-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

According to the specs, the LCG has split alloy gear cases to enable easier diff access!!! A similar concept to the split alloy centre diff cases on certain 1:8th buggies.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Turtlemaster
chance my you know what, i drive so fast, and those gears are spinning so crazy that stones don't have a chance,

2nd question, uummmm..... lexan. j/k
Having re-read what I asked about the Lexan gear covers, I see what you're getting at - my 2nd question kinda had the answer in the question! Sorry guys - I must have had a brain fart or something!!

Regards your gears spinning so fast - one day, when your open gearbox car strips half of it's teeth - you'll remember Horatio's post!

Then again, perhaps you won't...

Afterall is said and done, the SDW and LCG versions are very cool machines. I might just try one of those LCG versions yet!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for seeing the joke, sometimes people don't get my sense of humor

for the record, the gears do pick up small stuff and you can hear it clicking around but it really hasn't affected free spin as much as not cleaning the bearings since they were installed back in january. i did change the gears when i got graphite ones and all is quiet again.

and i did consider a piece of tape but figured it would just get sucked into the gears. when the bd gets here, i'' probably retire it to the dust collecter shelf or sell it. probably sell it, i'm to old to wait for it to be worth more.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Steve is workign with Yok USA on getting a good price for us on the LCG...it seems it should be here very soon.
Stephen <><
Old 05-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

I know this may sound off topic but is the diff lube that comes with the SDW is any good? I ran out of A/E stealth lube

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

It seems to be the exact same stuff.
I mean there is probably a difference but I dought you will notice between the two. To be honest the best stuff I have used is the Xray stuff. It is expencive but my diffs are real smooth.
Also use some ceramic balls, worth it to me....Never worry about wobble or the off chance one is slightly bigger and the diff sounds like sand paper.
Just my two pennies..and thats about what its worth.
Stephen <><
Old 05-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Shookie, I was actually wondering if the diff balls could be involved with the wobbling prob I ve had with my diff, thats interesting!

Would the tungsten carbide balls be good enough? at least for being precise?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

They are good but Acer sells a pack even for full price its like $12.99, worth every cent.....You shoudln't even have to replace the balls so really it is up to you. I think Acer even has some super percision ones also for liek $9.99.
Look into it.
Stephen <><
Old 05-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
It seems to be the exact same stuff.
I mean there is probably a difference but I dought you will notice between the two. To be honest the best stuff I have used is the Xray stuff. It is expencive but my diffs are real smooth.
Also use some ceramic balls, worth it to me....Never worry about wobble or the off chance one is slightly bigger and the diff sounds like sand paper.
Just my two pennies..and thats about what its worth.
Stephen <><
The diff lube is from Associated and the ceramic balls are nice, but will just wear the diff rings faster. The carbide balls are best and last for years, the kit balls are good for a couple of runs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.