Wiki Posts
Search

Change carpet onroad in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magnum
I agree. Foam tires for 12th scale are not that costly and you know what to expect. The rubber tires for sedan seem to inconsistent sometimes from one set to another. I would like to go back to foam on sedans, them the car would be more controllable at the speeds we now run
I just bought my first 1/12 car. Foam tires are going to be a big expense I had not thought of before.

I can't see myself spending a few hundred on a brand new truer, power supply and then a selection of tires. I have been watching Ebay to find what I need but so far no luck.

So now I have my first race this weekend and I will have to run foam tires as is, out of the box. I know I won't be competitive my first day out but running untrued tires won't help.

I would like the option of either spec tires that don't require truing or rubber tires. Cheap long lasting, less hassle more fun, racing against other drivers on similar tires.

After I get better, more experienced, I could see getting a truer, and a few sets of foams to be competitive.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
WGT might be able to run rubber, they always ran the crappy spec foams anyway, but 1/12 will be a nightmare on rubber tires.
Please explain. I'm a newb and rubber tires seem like they would be a cheap easy way for me to get going in 1/12
Old 10-20-2015, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tekin112000
I just bought my first 1/12 car. Foam tires are going to be a big expense I had not thought of before.

I can't see myself spending a few hundred on a brand new truer, power supply and then a selection of tires. I have been watching Ebay to find what I need but so far no luck.

So now I have my first race this weekend and I will have to run foam tires as is, out of the box. I know I won't be competitive my first day out but running untrued tires won't help.

I would like the option of either spec tires that don't require truing or rubber tires. Cheap long lasting, less hassle more fun, racing against other drivers on similar tires.

After I get better, more experienced, I could see getting a truer, and a few sets of foams to be competitive.
Borrow a truer or ask someone to true your tires for you, you don't want to run on new out of the box tires unless your running on asphalt. Most people with there own truers are more than happy to help others out especially if it will bring someone new to the class.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Lots of people talk about bringing back foam touring. This is (a big part) what killed off TX racing in the mid 2000's. Yes foams are inexpensive, but having to true then down to almost nothing, and then only getting at best a half day from a set before they chunk, camfer, or wear in a way that makes them inconsistent, it gets expensive. Add that to having to have a couple different compounds at any given track, and the budget racer doesn't have a chance. Rubber carpet racing and having a general consensus spec tire that last for several race days has been a huge help to TC. So what if it's "to hard" or whatever, everyone deals with the same tire. And don't bring up the one/two run outdoor rubber, that's not why this thread is about.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

people are talking how diluted the classes are now with too many choices and now people want to add rubber wgt and rubber 12th scale, should be a lot of fun with only three cars on the track at a time!!!!
Old 10-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magnum
people are talking how diluted the classes are now with too many choices and now people want to add rubber wgt and rubber 12th scale, should be a lot of fun with only three cars on the track at a time!!!!
Require a spec rubber tire and then everyone will be in that class. I like foams, but I'd give a rubber tire a chance if it worked well and lasted a long time. I hate having black foam dust all over my garage!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Every body who runs the vta class has to run the same rubber tires it works out well
Old 10-20-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Lots of people talk about bringing back foam touring. This is (a big part) what killed off TX racing in the mid 2000's. Yes foams are inexpensive, but having to true then down to almost nothing, and then only getting at best a half day from a set before they chunk, camfer, or wear in a way that makes them inconsistent, it gets expensive. Add that to having to have a couple different compounds at any given track, and the budget racer doesn't have a chance. Rubber carpet racing and having a general consensus spec tire that last for several race days has been a huge help to TC. So what if it's "to hard" or whatever, everyone deals with the same tire. And don't bring up the one/two run outdoor rubber, that's not why this thread is about.
Strange. I remember attending events where there were only two possibly three TC classes with well over 400 entries, mostly TC's during the foam era. Now we have 5 TC classes and lower turnouts.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:23 AM
Tech Master

As much as foams can be a PITA, I would hate to see 1/12 go to rubber. If you want rubber pan cars, just run F1.

Side note, 1/12 rubber already exists, it's called GT500. Yokomo makes it.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
Borrow a truer or ask someone to true your tires for you, you don't want to run on new out of the box tires unless your running on asphalt. Most people with there own truers are more than happy to help others out especially if it will bring someone new to the class.
Originally Posted by heretic
As much as foams can be a PITA, I would hate to see 1/12 go to rubber. If you want rubber pan cars, just run F1.

Side note, 1/12 rubber already exists, it's called GT500. Yokomo makes it.
Its the nice thing about 1/12 scale
We as a group are always happy to help others get into the game

1/12 on foam, like 1/8 on foam, drives like nothing else
For this reason it will never go away

I'ts not a fad. These are the original World Championship caliber racing classes
Old 10-21-2015, 07:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Its the nice thing about 1/12 scale
We as a group are always happy to help others get into the game

1/12 on foam, like 1/8 on foam, drives like nothing else
For this reason it will never go away

I'ts not a fad. These are the original World Championship caliber racing classes
+1
Old 10-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

As I said, it was part of the problem. But in that same era, almost every major manufacturer was pushing onroad hardcore. The A and B mains were filled with big name, top tier, full sponsored drivers. There were entry level classes offered at these events. This was an era that cars weren't updated every year, or sooner. This was an era that the CHASSIS alone wasn't $400+. Cars were much slower and more controllable and fun for the masses.

Let's do something to get new blood in the door instead of trying to re-slice the existing pie. We need to make a bigger pie. Let's focus on that.

Last edited by theproffesor; 10-21-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A real solution to all of the arguments/solutions, is in the hands of the Track Owners.

They can come up with a core group of classes, that anyone, from anywhere in the country, can walk in and be able to race.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theproffesor
This was an era that the CHASSIS alone wasn't $400+. Cars were much slower and more controllable and fun for the masses.
What "era" are you alluding to exactly ? Where I live a TC3FT used to cost 450 euro... and people were buying them. Even I bought one. And I also bought 150$ battery packs, and a 80$ discharge tray, and a 180$ comm cutter, a 180$ KO servo... etc... This talk of "prices are through the roof nowadays" has to stop. This is just plain false. And most cars behaved like crap, they are much much better out-of-the-box nowadays.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heretic
What "era" are you alluding to exactly ? Where I live a TC3FT used to cost 450 euro... and people were buying them. Even I bought one. And I also bought 150$ battery packs, and a 80$ discharge tray, and a 180$ comm cutter, a 180$ KO servo... etc... This talk of "prices are through the roof nowadays" has to stop. This is just plain false. And most cars behaved like crap, they are much much better out-of-the-box nowadays.
I think he's talking the old 1/12 scale days in the 80's. Cars were $100 to $150, radios about the same. No speed controls, just a cheap servo and a resistor. Yes, by the time touring cars came out the costs were much higher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.