Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree36Likes

New break-in method

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
There is no plug installed so therefore there is much less stress on the rod than regular breakin

Certainly interesting
Thanks,
The only real load on a conrod is the pulling and pushing force during decelerating and accelerating when turning 35000 RPM, that`s a very bit load in 2 directions. That`s xx times higher compared to the break-in Dutch method.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by am
I have seen team engines from big brands that clearly have been ran, but no sign of any combustion ;-)
me too.. Years ago they were doing that allready..
Old 04-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rider313
About $650 is a lot of money for one to break even on break in cost in the long run.
True, around 16 engines to break-in for friends..
I make around 100 dollar profit on the machine, for me it`s hobby since i have a normal daytime engineering job. I dont have to sell.

Think if you are a die-hard racers with around 3 engines a year, it`s a cool machine that really helps with break-in.

There are also people that buy the machine with 5 people, or for a club.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Tech Lord

I am designing one, a small portable 12v version with some changes with which I think is better. The base will be a small 400ml lexan case with a 12v car window wiper motor on top which has a 2 speed selection.
As a heater I will use 50w resistors mounted on the crankcase controlrd by a simple temperature controler so the motor will get the best heat source on the place where it will be heated the most as well during normal operation.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Whats all the hubb-bub about the oil temps? why couldnt ya just warm it up with heat gun and drop it in and go? Really not seeing what "heat" has got to do with it ...
Old 04-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I can see maintaining a approximate "running temp" so that its broke in with expansion of all the components present.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

First it was a $100+ rip-off for a preheater, now it's $650 for this. Amazing what lengths racers will go to.. - to make racing more lame for everybody else. So I guess this is next.. - showing up at a race and seeing bathtubs full of oil on peoples' wrenching tables next to all the spare kits and boxes of tires..

The idea and concept of what's going on here might be neat. But it's totally impractical and unfeasible for the vast majority of people. This is not some huge new breakthrough. I'll keep heat cycling, thanks. Not going to buy a lexan wing either...
Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
First it was a $100+ rip-off for a preheater, now it's $650 for this. Amazing what lengths racers will go to.. - to make racing more lame for everybody else.
You do not have to buy everything you see, you can also let your brain do some work and come up with an alternitive (as someone in this topic did with his drill press) or even decide if you do not need it. Let me remind you this is a technical hobby/sport afterall and if you can not think technical you have to ask yourself if you have chosen the right hobby/sport.

As your example the pre-heater of $100+, a cheap $7,- Ebay hairdryer will do the same....

Let me remind you the original design is just expensive in parts like a compleet one piece milled bathtub and a high power stepper motor with controler. As mentioned if you think clear and search arround it can be made much cheaper.

I am only wondering... If a US hero like Cyrul or Drake did come with such a tool, would you be that sceptic also?
Old 04-24-2015, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof
You do not have to buy everything you see, you can also let your brain do some work and come up with an alternitive (as someone in this topic did with his drill press) or even decide if you do not need it. Let me remind you this is a technical hobby/sport afterall and if you can not think technical you have to ask yourself if you have chosen the right hobby/sport.

As your example the pre-heater of $100+, a cheap $7,- Ebay hairdryer will do the same....

Let me remind you the original design is just expensive in parts like a compleet one piece milled bathtub and a high power stepper motor with controler. As mentioned if you think clear and search arround it can be made much cheaper.

I am only wondering... If a US hero like Cyrul or Drake did come with such a tool, would you be that sceptic also?
It has nothing to do with nationality. It has to do with $300 being the new $200 when it comes to engines, with racers basically constantly chasing whatever is NEW NEW NEW, cost be damned - or in this case, common sense. Of course I don't need it, but IMO it drags the whole hobby further in the direction of where it's only for people with a spare Speed in the box(or two..), a spare kit(or two), a box with 12 new sets of tires, etc etc etc... And that is very much the direction racing has been going the last few years. $650 to break in an engine? That's just ludicrous. Words basically fail to express the stupidity of it. I don't need lecturing either about it being a technical hobby. I heat cycle my engines and it works just fine.. Preheating is overrated too btw... As are bearing and rod changes..(not saying they're never necessary, but surely not as often as people make out..)

I don't mean to insult the guys who came up with it, or anybody who finds it neat. If it's just a fiddle around with new ideas kind of thing, that's cool.. But as a serious idea for real racers, talk of $650 break-in services, along with lexan wings and all the other BS that comes out every few months just makes me roll my eyes. That's all. Racing afaic was cool when you could buy a Go motorbox with pipe, spare rod and plugs, for 200 bucks, break it in cold, and still have it run for gallons and gallons... Since then it's just more and more for a very select few willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money (and time) on piddly overpriced gimmicky stuff to drive toy cars around in circles on a track. Just sayin'... This is just another thing on the huge pile of things you have to ignore. Again, of course I don't need this or a lot of other things. But the pressure to spend spend spend to keep up eventually becomes impossible to ignore, and is inevitable... It's just something else to roll your eyes at... All I'm saying is racing would be cooler - for a larger number of people - if there were less of that. But that's gotten now quite off topic... Back to boiling your engines for $650...
Old 04-24-2015, 12:54 AM
Tech Regular

First it was a $100+ rip-off for a preheater, now it's $650 for this. Amazing what lengths racers will go to.. - to make racing more lame for everybody else. So I guess this is next.. - showing up at a race and seeing bathtubs full of oil on peoples' wrenching tables next to all the spare kits and boxes of tires..

The idea and concept of what's going on here might be neat. But it's totally impractical and unfeasible for the vast majority of people. This is not some huge new breakthrough. I'll keep heat cycling, thanks. Not going to buy a lexan wing either...
You sound so angry and depressed...lol
Old 04-24-2015, 01:32 AM
am
Tech Master

But, he has a point...

Here we saw that the engine heaters became a must have :-( Guys new to the hobby were throwing out 130 dollars (that was the price here) jusy because shops and experienced racers said this is a must have. Compleatly BS!! Just start your enigne a few minutes before your start and do not give full throttle on the straight at the first lap. Thats more than good enough.

First timers should use their mony on tires fuel and parts!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:45 AM
Tech Champion

I was just in the MT section "discussing" the finer points of nitro vs. electric - obviously proving beyond any reasonable doubt that the former is unequivocally superior to any flashlight any day.. .. Then I look over here in the nitro section and see talk of $650 break-in services?.. Ha ha.. (I also hadn't had coffee yet, so there's that..) I still feel that way about the trajectory of racing though. I wish it were more beginner- and casual-racer-friendly..

I like running nitro more than racing to be honest. And I feel caught between two flawed extremes. On the one hand you have nitro-hating flashlight-fanboys who just go on about how nitro is "so hard" or "so much maintenance" or "for people who like to fiddle", which is all total bunk(There is a learning curve, but viewed properly, this enriches the experience, because you are more a master of your machine than if you're just flipping a switch... The "effort" required to get over that learning curve is a means to an end, not an end in itself..) But on the other hand the nitro section here seems more and more to be all talk about preheating and overpriced modded engines and new pipes every six months and changing bearings and rods every two gallons and now this.. Just sayin'.. Point is, I think a lot of nitro guys themselves are guilty of making nitro out to be more of a rocket science than it is.

The Novarossi P5XLT is on sale at amain currently for 175 bucks. Plus, if I understand correctly.., an additional %10 in the month of April... "Do the math"..
AlbertN likes this.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

I .. Then I look over here in the nitro section and see talk of $650 break-in services?.. Ha ha.. (I also hadn't had coffee yet, so there's that..) I still feel that way about the trajectory of racing though. I wish it were more beginner- and casual-racer-friendly..
Hahahahaah, cool. Coffee is good stuff, maybe i will try that as lubricant in my bathtubs..
But i agree and understand what you are saying. It`s a valid point you are making, the hobby is expensive and starters really dont know what to buy. A lot of shops take advantage from this and sell the starter stuff they dont need.

Myself, i`m racing for 20 years and love the hobby, we drive like mad and have all the parts/options that make us faster. Yes, there are a lot of options we dont buy because it are only marketing products to make money. Racing is my passion for 20 years.

I made this machine for myself to be faster, i gave it a try and after testing i`m convinced it works. Then i had the idea to sell it to the world, not for starters, but for people that would like it and want to try. If I look at all the shit i have seen since i sell a rc product...makes me really feel sorry for the guys who`s core business it is.

I can`t look into the wallet of people or at the mind off starters. they have to make the dessicion if they want to buy the machine, not me. Believe me, i will never tell a starter that they will be faster with a break-in machine...I always say they should buy a 150 dollar engine and use the WOT method, then make 1000ths of laps at the track and learn to drive. If they come to the track with their 150 dollar engine and ask about the break-in, i will help them all day explaining the WOT method and break-in their engine on the track for them.
If they ask for the break-in service standing there with 40 euro`s, i take the engine and do the break-in for them at home, and say to them they cann keep the 40 euros to buy tyres/fuel to drive. They dont have to pay, actually, i offered all 150 drivers of my club free break-in.

But on the other hand the nitro section here seems more and more to be all talk about preheating and overpriced modded engines and new pipes every six months and changing bearings and rods every two gallons and now this.. Just sayin'.. Point is, I think a lot of nitro guys themselves are guilty of making nitro out to be more of a rocket science than it is.
200% agree, the guys are quilty at acting like sheaps and copying the fastest guy at the track, mostly sponsored drivers (go figure..). A lot of racers pay the price for their own stupidity.

But cool you come back at the discussion, think you have a point about the difficulties in rc racing, but dont say the machine is shit, its not neccesary.

But on the other hand, it doesn`t really matter since i`m not in the business to sell.. If people dont buy, i dont care.

Imagine how the other companies feel if their product/brand is bashed on a forum, they are wise and dont respond. Know for sure a lot of them have fallen because of rumours and forum/pit bashing. Imagine you have to eat from selling rc products. But on the other hand, lots of them sell shit, its their own created market. It`s almost like the real life world markets...

We all love the hobby and try to get it moving forward on our own way, but yes, when money or interest involved, it becomes like the real world. Not that nice for all.

Last edited by rbakker; 04-24-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:21 AM
Tech Champion

OK dude, sorry for coming off harsh-ish... As I said (or tried to say..), the actual technical novelty of it etc.. is indeed interesting, and it is cool to see people try new stuff. Sorry for the tangent, and good luck with it. Brrapp brraapp..
Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Really cool, great idea .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.