Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scracer68
You're probably right, I'm glad it worked out for the good.
Thanks man I am too.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone run parts from Hobby Wing. Looking at getting these two things for my SCTEN what to know if it will get it around the track. Thanks, new to elec

HobbyWing XERUN 3.5T 3650-9100KV Sensored Brushless Motor for 1/10 & 1/12 RC Cars ROAR Approved

HobbyWing 1/8 Scale C-Xerun 150A Brushless ESC

Already have a 65C 5600 Lipo packs to run, will this be good?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Any have a problem with the steering servo when you put Futaba radio gear in a rtr? I put my futaba radio gear in an rtr and was able to program the speed controller no prob., but the servo wouldn't work correctly , making red light on receiver blink and servo wouldn't work right. It is bind correctly, tried all modes ppm and hrs, plugged in a JR servo and it worked fine.

put the radio equip. that it came with in and servo works fine, just won't work with futaba
Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Panda-PR
When you parallel charge your lipos, do you install the balance plug first or not?
I tried parallel once and it melted a little on the parallel board. Then I ordered
some parallel multiplug cable:
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=52
and the balance cable also and when I plugged it the balance plug melted. Got scared and took it off and never tried it again. Any advice?
I use the paraboard from epbuddy, never thought about what's plugged in first. I have had zero issues with parallel. Fast, and easy
Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Panda-PR
When you parallel charge your lipos, do you install the balance plug first or not?
I tried parallel once and it melted a little on the parallel board. Then I ordered
some parallel multiplug cable:
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=52
and the balance cable also and when I plugged it the balance plug melted. Got scared and took it off and never tried it again. Any advice?

I use the paraboard it is essentially the same thing in a more user friendly package.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...7pf3pke5k3ekh0

When you parallel charge packs it is absolutely essential that the packs you are charging be around the same charge level. They recommend within .1 volt per cell however I have personally used higher. If you know for sure your packs are not closely discharged you must connect the mains before the balance plugs. In a parallel charge format current passes between packs and is equalized, if you connect the balance plug first a massive surge of current can pass through the tiny balance plug. This is why you melted the connector. When you connect mains first your passing that large influx of current through the large wire and of course the main discharge plugs.

I personally set my cutoff on the high end, usually 3.5v per cell. I drive until the cutoff. After a few minutes of rest my packs are almost always resting within .1 to .2 volt per cell of each other. On the air and heli side I fly with set timers and almost always my packs land within that margin.

Finally it might not be obvious, however you must only charge packs with the same cell count. Capacity and even brand does not matter, you can parallel charge a 2200 mah 2 cell RX pack along with your 6000 mah 2s packs. You cannot mix cell counts.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
Well I have to take back what I said. I didn't know Horizon did the support for Team Orion. I can't say enough about how Horizon handles thir customers. They are sending me out a brand new battery tomorrow. Again A+++ for Horizon and their products.
Here's my issue...I had same problem called, asked politely what could be done, and I was told "too bad". Either warranty it for us all or not, this pick and choose deal is ridiculous.
If a lipo that costs $120 lasts 5 charges, it should at least be taken back and looked at.
As a business owner, CS like I experienced is exactly why companies like Orion will continue to have a bad name.....(Horizon, cough, cough) It's pathetic really.

What Orion should care about is...not a single racer at our track will now buy their lipo's. Only takes 1 person to ruin many future sales.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by roblupo
Anyone run parts from Hobby Wing. Looking at getting these two things for my SCTEN what to know if it will get it around the track. Thanks, new to elec

HobbyWing XERUN 3.5T 3650-9100KV Sensored Brushless Motor for 1/10 & 1/12 RC Cars ROAR Approved

HobbyWing 1/8 Scale C-Xerun 150A Brushless ESC

Already have a 65C 5600 Lipo packs to run, will this be good?

That Hobbywing 150A esc could work but the hobbywing brushless motor would over heat within the first pack. This truck is heavy and 4x4 and needs a good motor. On the cheap you could get a Castle 3800kv on ebay for $50.00 used or maybe the older 1/8th shaft new for around the same price. there's alot of good motor's for under $100 new you can get, Castle Creation 3800kv Tenshock 401 and 411 which are 4 pole motor's. Novak 2 pole motor's work as well. 4.5 or 5.5T
Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, thought I was in the electronics thread LOL..My truck is dialed and I love it,the only people beating me now have Pure Talent...And it`s still Fun!!!!!!That`s Right FUN!!!!!FUN!!!!!!!FUN!!!!!!

Last edited by BmainStar; 12-27-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: cuzz yer battery sucks!!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larlev
Here's my issue...I had same problem called, asked politely what could be done, and I was told "too bad". Either warranty it for us all or not, this pick and choose deal is ridiculous.
If a lipo that costs $120 lasts 5 charges, it should at least be taken back and looked at.
As a business owner, CS like I experienced is exactly why companies like Orion will continue to have a bad name.....(Horizon, cough, cough) It's pathetic really.

What Orion should care about is...not a single racer at our track will now buy their lipo's. Only takes 1 person to ruin many future sales.
I know what you are saying about that! One person has a bad experience at a track and tells his buddies... Then nobody will buy that product... (Viper, cough, cough)
Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Default Tekin Pro 4 motor and Novak ESC's

Not sure if this question has been answered before but I want to ask anyway. Can anyone explain to me from a technical standpoint why the Tekin Pro 4 4600 motor wouldn't be compatible with either a Novak Havoc Pro or Kinetic ESC's? Is there some issue with the fact that the motor is a 4 pole, sensor issues, or amp draw? I'm currently running a Havoc Pro ESC with a 4.5 550 Ballistic motor with the epoxy dipped stator installed. And I use MaxAmps 7.4 6500maH 150c batteries. Since installing the new stator, I noticed motor temps went down. But the motor seems to have less top end now. Very strange. Runs fine otherwise. I picked up a Pro 4 motor a while back but have been afraid to install it due to all the talk of the ESC going "POOF". Is this concern legit? Normally my ESC is barely warm after an 8 minute Amain and my motor temps at 130 degrees. I'd ask Novak directly but I'm not sure I'd get a straight answer due to manufacturer conflict. Can anyone offer constructive, detailed advice on the matter?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larlev

Horizon generally has EXCELLENT customer service. I usually never call though, just send it back in a box with a return address, and without fail, a new whatever comes in the mail. Generally, with a note saying they will charge me next time, and telling me how the failure was somehow mysteriously my fault, lol. Whatever, if it makes them feel better to blame it on me, thats fine, as long as I get a new one. I really have zero complaints, they have come through for me on a number of occasions.

If it was my battery, I'd send it in anyways, even if they told me no on the phone. Sending stuff in, it seems to always get to the "right" people that are willing to help you out. It's easy to say NO on the phone, but when it's sitting on their lap with just a return address, it seems to get a bit more attention. Besides, I hate talking to phone operators that don't know their arse from a hole in the ground, lol.....IME, it's better for the blood pressure just to bypass those spodes.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridley
Horizon generally has EXCELLENT customer service. I usually never call though, just send it back in a box with a return address, and without fail, a new whatever comes in the mail. Generally, with a note saying they will charge me next time, and telling me how the failure was somehow mysteriously my fault, lol. Whatever, if it makes them feel better to blame it on me, thats fine, as long as I get a new one. I really have zero complaints, they have come through for me on a number of occasions.
+1 same here, never had anything to complain about with Horizon customer service. The lil notes are a bit annoying but I can handle it...
Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

I haven't been on here in awhile; and I only looked a few pages back, diden't see anything. But does anyone know how well the new Tekin 4 pole sensored motors perform compared to the Castle 1410 in the scte?? Is it really any better??
Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Bonhomme
Not sure if this question has been answered before but I want to ask anyway. Can anyone explain to me from a technical standpoint why the Tekin Pro 4 4600 motor wouldn't be compatible with either a Novak Havoc Pro or Kinetic ESC's? Is there some issue with the fact that the motor is a 4 pole, sensor issues, or amp draw? I'm currently running a Havoc Pro ESC with a 4.5 550 Ballistic motor with the epoxy dipped stator installed. And I use MaxAmps 7.4 6500maH 150c batteries. Since installing the new stator, I noticed motor temps went down. But the motor seems to have less top end now. Very strange. Runs fine otherwise. I picked up a Pro 4 motor a while back but have been afraid to install it due to all the talk of the ESC going "POOF". Is this concern legit? Normally my ESC is barely warm after an 8 minute Amain and my motor temps at 130 degrees. I'd ask Novak directly but I'm not sure I'd get a straight answer due to manufacturer conflict. Can anyone offer constructive, detailed advice on the matter?
You are far more likely to get a reliable answer from Novak than anyone else and this specific topic is being discussed in the new thread on the X-Drive Havoc Pro SC. Go over there and send a PM to NovakTwo.

If Novak tells you no and someone else tells you yes, whould you risk your ESC? Even if they've done it? Maybe their gearing or setup is different enough from yours that it might make a difference.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My center diff seems to be leaking grease, plan on switching it out anyways but was just wondering if this IS a common issue?? How do i go about fixing it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.