Thinking about making the jump...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about making the jump...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 06:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Hmmmm. Convinced me you have. Jump I will. The "gas" side of the force has seduced me.

Sooooooo... I'm looking over some of these HPI kits (I've always been happy w/ HPI products) and it looks like I've got some options. 1) Pull start vs. starter. 2) Standard kit vs. RTR. 3) 12R SS engine vs 15 engine.

Any helpful input?
Old 11-27-2002, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to race, check out your local club and see what classes they run. If they run some kind of stock class, and you'de like to try that i'de reccommend a VoneS or the likes of. In Aus the HPI kits don't get much of a look in! If you are an experienced racer and would like to start at the top, then look at MTX3 or VoneRR. Most importantly, check out the clubs
Old 11-27-2002, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default To race or bash

Dig_R/C;

If your planning on racing, I would buy something OTHER than an HPI. To much $$$ needed to make them competitive with the other cars/trucks on the market. If your a backyard basher then get whatever has the best parts support in your area.

Let us all know what you end up with.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Default money!!!

ya, i had the same interests as you dig r/c, but i got out as soon as i started pricing things, high speed metal geered servos, one for the throttle, and one for steering, the thign i considered was a xxxnt sport, but i usually don't like the sport kits, but i love my xxx-t mf, first truck i got out of novice, and i had a xx-4 we that i ran in novice before that.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Tech Rookie

I've never raced at a track. I use to go and watch all the time with the guy that got me started in R/C. Never had any real desire to compete in any organized events. Me and a group of guys use to get together before I moved and race around on a "track" that we carved out in a field. I usually pretty much run stock. Maybe a few slight mods. Nothing major.

The XXX models are Losi kits right? I checked out their site. They didn't seem to have much of a selection of on-road kits.

(By the way popsracer, Rialto is where I just moved from. I use to get all my stuff at Busy Bee on Highland and Pegasus in Montclair. Now I usually just go to HobbyShack in Rancho. We use to go to the track at Ranch Pit Stop in Pomona.)
Old 11-28-2002, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Neighbors

Dig_RC

I know most of the guys that work at both Pegasus and Hobby People Rancho. You and I may have even crossed paths one time or another !.
I may buy a Futaba 3PK from Busy Bee when one comes in (best price).
I didn't see in any of your posts about what kind of Nitro R/C you are looking for, On-Road or Off-Road.
What ever you buy, I am local to you if you ever need any help. I do race Off-road sometimes, but only if I can't find a place to race On-road for the weekend.

Talk later, Happy Thanksgiving,
Old 12-01-2002, 12:54 AM
Tech Rookie

On Road or Off Road... THAT is the question. I still haven't made up my mind. I use to buy off road cars because it was easy to run them onroad. Just go out and buy a set of street tires. After I bought my first on road car I was addicted. Running a truck or buggy on road just isn't the same. So I'm still debating with myself.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Default JUMP ALREADY!!!!!

DigRC:

Revelation Raceway in Montclair is back open. It's a big On-Road track that races anything from 1/10 sedan to 1/5 scale cars.

Revelation Raceway

Pegasus Hobbies now has an Off-Road track behind the new building (next door). They race on Friday evenings twice a month.

Pegasus Hobbies

Last edited by popsracer; 12-01-2002 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Dig_R/C: I too have been with electric since day one and only got my nitro tourer about half a month back. The major pro I find is the runtime. It just keeps goin' and goin.

Bottom line for me: Nitro is a superb bashing unit!!! I love it on bashing days!

Else giving me the choice between electric and nitro for racing, I'd take electric. 5 mins mains and heats means the need to drive with next to no errors - is really damn intense.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:49 AM
Tech Rookie

well jump
Old 12-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

JUMP ALREADY WILL YA!!!