Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree30Likes

Headsets, suggestions and ROAR Rules

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

I am also using the Came-tv waero and its great!!
Old 07-16-2022, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

any comment on eartec and smartcom headset? which one you will go for today? would appreciate your user experience, thanks
Old 09-26-2022, 06:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Roelof
I do not want one, I like to hear my engine.....
I agree with you. In questions about accessories and headphones, I used to use only high-quality models. And recently I found some new models that caught my attention https://treblab.com/blogs/news/motorcycle-headphones Thanks to the reviews, I can compare all the advantages and disadvantages and understand what suits me. This helps me avoid unnecessary purchases and choose the best option.

Last edited by Lloyder; 10-03-2022 at 02:41 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by choisan
any comment on eartec and smartcom headset? which one you will go for today? would appreciate your user experience, thanks
Great question! Anyone have any feedback to help answer this?

I had a chance to use a set of Eartecs at the 2022 ROAR Nats back in March. They worked well, and it was nice being able to talk to the pit guy without shouting. Also, a BIG benefit is the prompting of the pit person when a flame-out occurs. Sometimes, things get hectic down in the pits and the pit person may not notice right off the bat that the flame-out has occurred. The driver, however, knows instantly, and they can get the pit person's attention and direct them to the right portion of the track, and be ready for the hand-off, just by talking (no shouting necessary!). Voice and volume was clear. Turning-on and setup was easy. That's about it, really. The Eartecs are no-nonsense headsets.

On the other hand, looking at the specs and features of the Smart-Com, I think they have the advantage. The most useful, extra feature the Smart-Coms have is the voice-prompting + timer, which can be used to help provide confidence and assurance of the timing, on the DRIVER'S level, for pit-stop refueling. The MASTER headset is the one that dictates/starts the timer, and I am assuming the voice comes through BOTH headsets (I couldn't prove this with the demo videos currently available). I am also guessing that one would want the MASTER headset to be the PIT PERSON so they have the control to start the timer as it would be easier for them to do it when the timer "starts on the tone." This feature could be an annoyance, however. After all, the pit person should be looking at the time clock and making decisions/informing the driver throughout the race. Having an additional layer of protection could be a good thing, though! However, if a flame-out happens and the car is brought back in to restart, most likely you're going to top-up the tank, so how easy is it to reset the timer from that point on? If you didn't, then all the times reported by the voice-prompt via the FREE-RUNNING timer will be off!

estill likes this.
Old 09-24-2023, 02:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Using 2-way radio headsets for communication during an RC race, especially for coordinating with your boy, can be quite helpful. However, the rules regarding their use can vary depending on the specific event and organizer. In the case of ROAR (Remotely Operated Auto Racers), it's important to check with the event organizers or refer to their specific rules and regulations for the event you plan to attend.

ROAR typically follows specific rules and guidelines for different classes and types of RC racing, and their regulations can change over time. Therefore, it's crucial to consult with the event organizers or check their official documentation or website for the most up-to-date information regarding the use of 2-way radio headsets at the upcoming offroad fuel nationals in Fremont, Indiana.

As for recommendations on specific radio headsets, it's best to choose a model that offers clear and reliable communication with minimal interference. Brands like Motorola, Kenwood, and Baofeng are known for producing quality 2-way radios and headsets suitable for various racing scenarios. However, always consider any specific requirements or frequencies that may be stipulated by the event organizers when selecting your communication equipment.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I smell ChatGPT.
stanleyw808, oldfool and mrkab like this.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Meh, if you need a headset, then you done screwed up.

It's not rocket science. Fuel the car every time it comes to you. Carry the caddy to the start line. Down and quiet. Go to the pit lane and fuel the car everytime it comes to you.

The driver does his job, the pit guy does his. No words need spoken.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Being the pit crew sucks major butt!!!
Not too many people want to sit there and stare at the racer's car for long periods of time. A headset is nice to get their attention. Also, there might be another reason you need to pit besides fuel.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

If there's another reason than fuel, your race is over anyways. Deal with it.

Better tracks have people that love to pit. People that compete to be the best pit guy. And even have an award for fastest pits at large events.

But you're correct, most of the rc community is too lame for such.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
If there's another reason than fuel, your race is over anyways. Deal with it.

Better tracks have people that love to pit. People that compete to be the best pit guy. And even have an award for fastest pits at large events.

But you're correct, most of the rc community is too lame for such.
I guess this applies to all the factory drivers around the world that found a benefit to using headsets for fuel planning and race strategy. I guess Sontag and Truhe just messed up.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:56 AM
Tech Rookie

These sets are the shizzel great pit communication and an awesome tool for coaching my son while he's practicing.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Last edited by choisan; 11-12-2023 at 04:00 PM. Reason: solution found
Old 11-16-2023, 04:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

This might have been answered already but why not just use your cell phone (assuming both driver and pit guy have one)? You can keep an earpiece in one ear and clearly hear the marshals with the other and most people already have wireless or wired headsets that come with the phone.

I mean really unless its an hour long A-Main final I also don't really see the need for them. You know well into your qualifying days roughly how long your fuel is lasting per tank before a pit is needed. The only other thing that might want to be communicated for hour long finals is possibly tire changes of if there are small adjustments maybe to an engine tune but really if your setup is wrong, your not winning anyway.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shaginwagon13
This might have been answered already but why not just use your cell phone (assuming both driver and pit guy have one)? You can keep an earpiece in one ear and clearly hear the marshals with the other and most people already have wireless or wired headsets that come with the phone.

I mean really unless its an hour long A-Main final I also don't really see the need for them. You know well into your qualifying days roughly how long your fuel is lasting per tank before a pit is needed. The only other thing that might want to be communicated for hour long finals is possibly tire changes of if there are small adjustments maybe to an engine tune but really if your setup is wrong, your not winning anyway.
Some areas have garbage cell / internet reception.

Some people use it for more than just coordinating fuel stops. It can be handy to ask your pit guy to see that car that is coming up on you, are you battling for position or are they lapping you? Your pit guy can also point out crashes ahead etc. I use it alot with my son too, coaching him and calming him down etc.