Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Headsets, suggestions and ROAR Rules >

Headsets, suggestions and ROAR Rules

Like Tree19Likes

Headsets, suggestions and ROAR Rules

Reply

Old 05-29-2017, 07:04 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 140
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Headsets, suggestions and ROAR Rules

Hi, my boy and I are signed up for the upcoming offroad fuel nationals in Fremont indiana. I would like to use some 2-way radio headsets for communications during the race to make it much easier on both of us.

Is that legal at roar races?

If so, which ones should I get?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 05-07-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Wendling00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:11 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,489
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

ROAR Racing
GrandeGixxer likes this.
MX304 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:05 AM
  #3  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 140
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
Thank you. No wonder I couldn't find it, I was looking on the site before they posted it😃
Wendling00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:29 AM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
adrictan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,174
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

https://www.rcracingcommunications.c...gle-ear-system
adrictan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:19 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,926
Default

Funny
token is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:17 PM
  #6  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (148)
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,522
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

These sets are the shizzel great pit communication and an awesome tool for coaching my son while he's practicing.
Goof likes this.
Frank L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:47 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 140
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
These sets are the shizzel great pit communication and an awesome tool for coaching my son while he's practicing.
I looked at those...... I was looking for a cheaper alternative but I may just have to go with them.....
Wendling00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:50 PM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (21)
 
GrandeGixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Waldorf, MD
Posts: 3,306
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Wendling00 View Post
I looked at those...... I was looking for a cheaper alternative but I may just have to go with them.....
I have the same feeling. They are pricey, but I don't know that there is a cheaper but nearly equal option as of now.
GrandeGixxer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:50 PM
  #9  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (26)
 
cHAmpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Planet Rock
Posts: 317
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer View Post
I have the same feeling. They are pricey, but I don't know that there is a cheaper but nearly equal option as of now.
There are some cheaper bluetooth options on Amazon and Ebay, looks like same technology just rebranded.

You can also use your mobile phone and a headset, a few intercom apps that you can use over bluetooth and/or mobile wifi if you are in a location where you don't get any coverage. Otherwise just use two phones with a headsets and call each other.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
cHAmpa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:46 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
NITRO 540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stafford Va.
Posts: 1,029
Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default

Public Announcement
"Announcement: Use of Headset Type communications at the 2017 Roar Fuel Off Road 1/8 scale Nationals.

Head sets will provisionally be allowed for use during this event. The Roar Executive Committee has agreed to the following terms with the use of the head sets.

1. Radios must comply will all local and federal regulations.

2. Driver: A single ear piece or one sided head set type that is not audible to others and does not reduce the ability to hear the referees’ calls must be used.

3. Pit person: A single or double ear head set type that is not audible to others and does not reduce the ability to hear the referees’ calls must be used.

4. Radio communication can only be used while the driver is on the drivers’ stand.

5. Absolutely no 2.4GHz.

6. This policy does not apply to race officials.

Roar reserves the right to test, decline or withdraw the use of any and all communication equipment at anytime during the event.

After the conclusion of this event, this policy will be reviewed and modified if necessary.

ROAR appreciates your cooperation and understanding during the event while we all make safe and effective use of this growing technology.
NITRO 540 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:44 PM
  #11  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (26)
 
cHAmpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Planet Rock
Posts: 317
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NITRO 540 View Post
Public Announcement
"Announcement: Use of Headset Type communications at the 2017 Roar Fuel Off Road 1/8 scale Nationals.

Head sets will provisionally be allowed for use during this event. The Roar Executive Committee has agreed to the following terms with the use of the head sets.

1. Radios must comply will all local and federal regulations.

2. Driver: A single ear piece or one sided head set type that is not audible to others and does not reduce the ability to hear the refereesí calls must be used.

3. Pit person: A single or double ear head set type that is not audible to others and does not reduce the ability to hear the refereesí calls must be used.

4. Radio communication can only be used while the driver is on the driversí stand.

5. Absolutely no 2.4GHz.

6. This policy does not apply to race officials.

Roar reserves the right to test, decline or withdraw the use of any and all communication equipment at anytime during the event.

After the conclusion of this event, this policy will be reviewed and modified if necessary.

ROAR appreciates your cooperation and understanding during the event while we all make safe and effective use of this growing technology.
Are there limitations with regards to how many people can be in communication with the driver?

Like some of these headsets can have 3-4 way communication, are you able to have spotters as well in communication with the driver or are these limited to just driver and pit person?
cHAmpa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:40 AM
  #12  
Tech Regular
 
stanleyw808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 377
Default

Hello GrandeGixxer and Friends,

You could try this,

VNETPHONE V5-EU 1200M Motorcycle Bluetooth Helmet Intercom Headset for - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I've been using this for a while and has been great..

Cheers..

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer View Post
I have the same feeling. They are pricey, but I don't know that there is a cheaper but nearly equal option as of now.
stanleyw808 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:51 AM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
NITRO 540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stafford Va.
Posts: 1,029
Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cHAmpa View Post
Are there limitations with regards to how many people can be in communication with the driver?

Like some of these headsets can have 3-4 way communication, are you able to have spotters as well in communication with the driver or are these limited to just driver and pit person?
I believe for now.They want to keep the head set use just between the driver and pit person.
NITRO 540 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:18 AM
  #14  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 140
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by stanleyw808 View Post
Hello GrandeGixxer and Friends,

You could try this,

VNETPHONE V5-EU 1200M Motorcycle Bluetooth Helmet Intercom Headset for - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I've been using this for a while and has been great..

Cheers..
Over the weekend we attended a nitro event and used Bluetooth headsets and our phones to call one another. It was better then nothing but not very clear with the nitros buzzing all around. I'm thinking something with the headset covering the ear would be a lot better, along with the mic extending in front of the mouth to hopefully eliminate more background noise.

Those look like they might have some of the same issues as the earpieces we used. Did you have any background noise issues? I certainly like the price better.
Wendling00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:12 AM
  #15  
Tech Master
iTrader: (80)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,535
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

RC Target has these available:

RC Handsfree 2 unit Combo

RC Handsfree 3 unit Combo

RC Handsfree 4 unit Combo
Nitro-mech is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service