Like Tree63Likes

Tekin Rx8 Gen3 Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 AM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'll chime in here- I know nothing of electronics in the real world or the RC world, and honestly have only ever used Tekin or Castle products (Novack back 25 years ago along with Tekin Peak chargers). I only know my personal experience. I have 2 RX8 and 2 RX8 G2 along with Tekin motors to match, and have not had a serious problem with any of them. When I did have an issue (one issue) Tekin CS was very good and solved it.
So I guess you have had 3-4 fail, but I have had 4 of 4 be virtually perfect. Maybe I am not that hard on my equipment, but my experience has lived up to the hype. (I do wish that they would change their GUI for Hotwire- that red on black is horrible and I have very good eyesight )
v1r killer likes this.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkl View Post
I'll chime in here- I know nothing of electronics in the real world or the RC world, and honestly have only ever used Tekin or Castle products (Novack back 25 years ago along with Tekin Peak chargers). I only know my personal experience. I have 2 RX8 and 2 RX8 G2 along with Tekin motors to match, and have not had a serious problem with any of them. When I did have an issue (one issue) Tekin CS was very good and solved it.
So I guess you have had 3-4 fail, but I have had 4 of 4 be virtually perfect. Maybe I am not that hard on my equipment, but my experience has lived up to the hype. (I do wish that they would change their GUI for Hotwire- that red on black is horrible and I have very good eyesight )
To be a little more specific, The single race I went last year that I saw the most dead esc's was PNB followed by AMS. I killed one during practice in which was replaced by the tekin rep (which I appreciate that) because it was new and under warranty and the second started acting up in the third heat and completely died the following event a week later. AMS I killed my last one and 2 of my friends killed theirs one went right up and bought a new one from an on-site vendor and the switch was defective. We just cut it off since the vendor sold out. They can tell you the exact number of esc that died in those events since you had to fill out a warranty card when you swap esc's on site.

Again, I am hoping that they really improved their quality because I was disappointed, specially for what I paid. And honestly, It was just the RX8, the RSX and the RS gen2 and RS Spec were great ESC's that never skip a beat the whole time I owned them. But for durability, power and value.... will be tough to beat the HW XR8 Plus and XR8 SCT Pro.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:07 AM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

That is a bad run. PNB is certainly a tough event placing a lot of stress on everything. Those HW ESC's are giving a lot of companies a run for their money, see them everywhere.
I agree with you that transparent communication can be a good thing for everybody, better feedback and better product development and in the end better products.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JRSlash View Post
To be a little more specific, The single race I went last year that I saw the most dead esc's was PNB followed by AMS. I killed one during practice in which was replaced by the tekin rep (which I appreciate that) because it was new and under warranty and the second started acting up in the third heat and completely died the following event a week later. AMS I killed my last one and 2 of my friends killed theirs one went right up and bought a new one from an on-site vendor and the switch was defective. We just cut it off since the vendor sold out. They can tell you the exact number of esc that died in those events since you had to fill out a warranty card when you swap esc's on site.

Again, I am hoping that they really improved their quality because I was disappointed, specially for what I paid. And honestly, It was just the RX8, the RSX and the RS gen2 and RS Spec were great ESC's that never skip a beat the whole time I owned them. But for durability, power and value.... will be tough to beat the HW XR8 Plus and XR8 SCT Pro.
Hard landings are the number 1 way to kill the RX8. It doesn't surprise me one bit that PNB would be especially hard on them. The last one I had go up in flames was on a flat landing off a huge double that I hadn't figured out the timing on yet.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

That is a bad run. PNB is certainly a tough event placing a lot of stress on everything. Those HW ESC's are giving a lot of companies a run for their money, see them everywhere.
I agree with you that transparent communication can be a good thing for everybody, better feedback and better product development and in the end better products.
Oh yeah It was a rough event. Not just the ESC's... Also the AE buggies and truggies were breaking left and right after that 40Ft gap jump. I ended up with one dead esc, another acting up, dead servo(cheap trackstar), and managed to break only chassis braces and body post on my cars. (3 on the truggy and 2 on the buggy) And everything after the big jump.

Hey, At the end... The costumer is always right. If people want to see some aluminum casing which shows (to me) some effort and craftsmanship; just sacrifice a few grams, cut a few dollars off your profit margin and give the racers costumers what they ask for. Because the true reality is that the "heavier" and "stiffer" aluminum XR8 plus performed better than the RX8 in my cars and yet shows effort and craftsmanship in their design.
*Drop the mic again*
Old 03-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My question to my tekin tech is: Are you using silver solder or 60/40? Those post came off easily to be silver soldered. Also any one the has ever ordered trough digikey or mouser knows that those switches go for pennies or fractions of a penny for mass production. Don't call them "lot more", is not true, lets be honest with people.

Why the rant? While I liked the power they produced I was upset that for $214 that I paid It only lasted a handful of races, 3 of the 4 I owned. To find out that they knew there was issues with it and to tell me to either open the case an put foam under the board or just get Kyosho gel tape was unacceptable.
The solder posts on Rx8's of all generations are installed with high temp solder. What we've found is a lot of guys hold an inferior soldering iron tip to the post while soldering far too long which then allows the post to wick away the heat and float the joint at the bottom of the board. This often results in a post that comes off later down the road. This also causes intermittent shut off issues. Sound about right? FYI we're required to use ROHS compliant procedures.

You were not told by someone at Tekin to put foam under the boards inside the case. The cases are fit to the PCB's in a specific way to hold them in place. Unfortunately there's a lot of hear say in the pits and guys coming up with their own "fixes" that simply don't work.

The new solder posts on the Rx8 Gen3 make soldering up one 1,000 times easier. The post allows solder to pool up at the bottom and wick up the sides making for a quick and easy solder job. This change alone will help everyone long term.

The cases on the Rx8 are a poly-carbonate composite. This is the same type of materials that bullet proof glass are made from. They're tough however certain cleaners in r/c can cause them to become brittle. Some of the "nitro" washes and "car" washes will do this. If you want to clean the Rx8, use Ispopropy alcohol or simple green.

The switch we use is not just a switch you get from DigiKey or Mowser. This is a gold plated self cleaning military grade switch. Out of my entire team with Tekin I'v seen less than actually fail. That being said to assure the switch functions as expected make sure you cycle it on/off a few times without the battery plugged into initiate the cleaning process.

Obviously here you can eliminate it if you choose, that's fine by us. But it really shouldn't be necessary. Make sure you mount it out of the way best you can, and assure you're not getting cleaners and other chemicals inside the switch.

Everyone has a right to their opinions. Part of our job is to answer all of your questions and be as forthcoming as we can. I invite you all to ask as many questions as you need to or would like to. There's not many other companies in r/c willing to hit these things head on. We take pride in what we do, and are willing to stand by the products we make.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:15 AM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

I will have to disagree that the customer is always right. That is an outright fallacy. I work in retail and I can't tell you how many times the customer is just wrong in every way possible. There are plenty of times that I as a consumer have been wrong. As the saying goes, be careful what you ask for- you just might get it.
Ok, sorry- back on topic
Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Team Tekin

Oh yeah It was a rough event. Not just the ESC's... Also the AE buggies and truggies were breaking left and right after that 40Ft gap jump. I ended up with one dead esc, another acting up, dead servo(cheap trackstar), and managed to break only chassis braces and body post on my cars. (3 on the truggy and 2 on the buggy) And everything after the big jump.

Hey, At the end... The costumer is always right. If people want to see some aluminum casing which shows (to me) some effort and craftsmanship; just sacrifice a few grams, cut a few dollars off your profit margin and give the racers costumers what they ask for. Because the true reality is that the "heavier" and "stiffer" aluminum XR8 plus performed better than the RX8 in my cars and yet shows effort and craftsmanship in their design.
*Drop the mic again*
So you broke numerous parts on your car and you feel an aluminum ESC housing would have saved your ESC? I'll take that bet every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If you ever look at my cars you will find no zeal tape, you will find my ESC bolted down to the mounts, or to the chassis if I can manage it to keep the CG down.

As you've clearly pointed out, the PNB race is like no other when it comes to collecting its parts count. I've seen servos, nitro engine cases, chassis, and a host of other items not "normally" broken at the PNB break.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

I will have to disagree that the customer is always right. That is an outright fallacy. I work in retail and I can't tell you how many times the customer is just wrong in every way possible. There are plenty of times that I as a consumer have been wrong. As the saying goes, be careful what you ask for- you just might get it.
Ok, sorry- back on topic
LOL... I didn't expect to be taken serious in that statement.... I know the costumer is not always right.... I've seen some shady stuff in my few years as an adult (gray hairs coming soon)..... I've been wrong many times as well. . But Anyways. All references have been made to previous experiences in both personal and fellow racers around me and in the same race. Not meaning at all that that's whats going to happen with the new generation of GEN3's. I've never say never for the reason that I would never know if I end up buying the new version and giving it a shot. I am all about trying new things. So far Ive tried Tekin, Orion, LRP, Trackstar, Speedpassion, Hobbywing and Castle. Like I said. the 1/10 was awesome just a bad taste with the gen2 rx8. Let's see when it comes out and how it performs. I might give it a try... never say never.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
So you broke numerous parts on your car and you feel an aluminum ESC housing would have saved your ESC? I'll take that bet every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If you ever look at my cars you will find no zeal tape, you will find my ESC bolted down to the mounts, or to the chassis if I can manage it to keep the CG down.

As you've clearly pointed out, the PNB race is like no other when it comes to collecting its parts count. I've seen servos, nitro engine cases, chassis, and a host of other items not "normally" broken at the PNB break.
Kind of a big difference between braking a $8 chassis brace and a $200 ESC, isn't it? BTW, If you sponsor somebody, give him/her a shirt, discount and a pop-up canopy, does that person represents the brand? I thought it does. So, the answer will be Yes It was a teking representative that told me to "open the case and put foam under the board". not making it up for my amusement. It was a big deal to me and to my fellow racers in this town because we're not sponsored and pay MSRP for this products. Maybe not a big deal to you that have a discounts or get them at no charge. But next time you go to a race like PNB, walk around and ask regular the people not running rx8 why they are not running the rx8. Allrite, rant over.

PS. 15 years between military service and as a contractor as an avionics tech and repairing and modifying aircraft electronic components... I really know what "military grade" or MIL-SPEC is. Oh... RoHS compliant doesn't mean that is lead free. Anyways, back on topic. Good luck with the new product. I am out.

Last edited by JRSlash; 03-23-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
Still not going to handle kisses from a 800deg soldering iron very well. It is still plastic.. Heat the wire, heat the post, bring them together quickly and they should flow nicely in just few seconds. Most people use too much solder and the iron struggles to heat all the mass.

Not sure we want most people soldering on the circuit board considering the soldering we see on the posts that causes many of the failures when wires break off Hopefully the new solder post design will help with that.
Actually a quality thermoset PC would give you better resistance against soldering iron kisses, but you do pay a price with slightly less ductility. Heck, the plastic on the fan was more heat resistant than the case itself. The problem with the Gen1 may have been solder for some, but in my case it was the posts themselves wicking away the heat as well as the wire I was using. Glad to see that you've updated the post design; this should be a big improvement.

Desoldering a wire from a few pads is pretty straightforward and only takes a few seconds. If the board and pads are properly designed even a caffeine addict with poor eyesight like me could pull it off. But from some of the comments here, I can see your reluctance to let users get too close to the PCBs. My biggest complaint with the switch hasn't been reliability (as I can just short it if/when it fails. The problem is that it is too short for many applications that have a full body, like scale monster trucks and rock racers. I can't do anything about that and have to always fumble getting to my switch since you don't make it replaceable.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Team Tekin

Kind of a big difference between braking a $8 chassis brace and a $200 ESC, isn't it? BTW, If you sponsor somebody, give him/her a shirt, discount and a pop-up canopy, does that person represents the brand? I thought it does. So, the answer will be Yes It was a teking representative that told me to "open the case and put foam under the board". not making it up for my amusement. It was a big deal to me and to my fellow racers in this town because we're not sponsored and pay MSRP for this products. Maybe not a big deal to you that have a discounts or get them at no charge. But next time you go to a race like PNB, walk around and ask regular the people not running rx8 why they are not running the rx8. Allrite, rant over.

PS. 15 years between military service and as a contractor as an avionics tech and repairing and modifying aircraft electronic components... I really know what "military grade" or MIL-SPEC is. Oh... RoHS compliant doesn't mean that is lead free. Anyways, back on topic. Good luck with the new product. I am out.
I wasn't talking an $8 chassis brace, I meant a $90 chassis, a $400 engine case, a $200 servo, etc. That race is brutal!

Yes you likely spoke to a team driver. And I know who it was since it's my job. And he was educated shortly after offering that advice as being incorrect.

I thank you for your service. FYI,Tekin supports our men and women who serve and or served in the armed forces here in the U.S. We have a very nice program just for you guys that offers a nice discount. A small token of our appreciation.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I thank you for your service. FYI,Tekin supports our men and women who serve and or served in the armed forces here in the U.S. We have a very nice program just for you guys that offers a nice discount. A small token of our appreciation.
Its the best program out there for military and veterans in the RC industry! Thanks a ton for what you guys offer to military!
Old 03-24-2017, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wasn't talking an $8 chassis brace, I meant a $90 chassis, a $400 engine case, a $200 servo, etc. That race is brutal!

Yes you likely spoke to a team driver. And I know who it was since it's my job. And he was educated shortly after offering that advice as being incorrect.

Thank you for your support. Tekin support is not just nice but the best discount in the RC industry for our military IMO. . Are you guys coming out with the RS Gen3 soon? I did like my RS Spec and would like another one of those. Just curious.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Team Tekin

Thank you for your support. Tekin support is not just nice but the best discount in the RC industry for our military IMO. . Are you guys coming out with the RS Gen3 soon? I did like my RS Spec and would like another one of those. Just curious.
We are working on quite a few new releases this year. Stay tuned
MoltoMiller likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service