Search
Like Tree1Likes

Eagle Racing MD2 Motor Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
I don't think any unit is going to be a 100% substitute for on track performance, but I also don't think a fantom software developer is an impartial opinion either. Of course he (or she) would talk up their product in comparison to the competition.
The Fantom developer was referring to his product and the discussion was a couple of years ago when I was converting it to do brushless motors (I didn't include that info). I do not know if he even knew about this product then.
Just for your info, not attacking just passing along some info and asking a question. Other note, the Fantoms aren't produced anymore so they aren't competitors.
Just wanted to know if what he said was still applicable (probable). I still consider the info from both devices valuable. They work nearly identically and if I didn't have a Fantom already I would strongly consider this device.
In looking at the Eagle tree. I wonder if anyone has tried using a 12v car battery as the source instead of a pair of lipos?
Old 09-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
The Fantom developer was referring to his product and the discussion was a couple of years ago when I was converting it to do brushless motors (I didn't include that info). I do not know if he even knew about this product then.
Just for your info, not attacking just passing along some info and asking a question. Other note, the Fantoms aren't produced anymore so they aren't competitors.
Just wanted to know if what he said was still applicable (probable). I still consider the info from both devices valuable. They work nearly identically and if I didn't have a Fantom already I would strongly consider this device.
In looking at the Eagle tree. I wonder if anyone has tried using a 12v car battery as the source instead of a pair of lipos?
I think the idea is to keep the power source the same as it would be in your car. But at the same time, if we need to run 2 lipos to keep the fuses from blowing then it's really a moot point.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

As I thought about this further, I suspect that the input is a parallel connection and that they feed battery voltage direct. With that said, a 12v source unless reduced would be a bad idea. But here is another option. Go to your local farm supply and buy a 6 volt lead acid battery (old tractors used them). Where it won't spin the motor as fast as a 2s LiPo, it would still give you comparable data to tune your motors with out battery state fall off. Afterall the Fantom powers the motor with 5v.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As I thought about this further, I suspect that the input is a parallel connection and that they feed battery voltage direct. With that said, a 12v source unless reduced would be a bad idea. But here is another option. Go to your local farm supply and buy a 6 volt lead acid battery (old tractors used them). Where it won't spin the motor as fast as a 2s LiPo, it would still give you comparable data to tune your motors with out battery state fall off. Afterall the Fantom powers the motor with 5v.
You are correct. The feed is direct - no voltage regulation like the Fantom - and parallel to deal with high current draw running lower turn motors.

The ability to use your own batts as the power source lets you test your power source - all the way from the battery to the motor. You can see the effects running different batteries on torque output clearly. I find this to be valuable I'm determining the condition of my entire power train.

Unless you are running 10 turn motors, you will not blow the 35 amp fuse that the unit is supplied with when running single lipos.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

I always thought it was better to test motors with a consistent supply. If you want to test the batteries I don't think this is a good way. Just my opinion.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I always thought it was better to test motors with a consistent supply. If you want to test the batteries I don't think this is a good way. Just my opinion.
I agree 100%
Old 09-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want a consistent power source for the MD2 dyno

https://eagleonlineshop.com/eaglesho...spx?id=3800-P4
Old 09-13-2015, 07:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

That looks like a generic 12V 5A Power supply? Won't that mean 12V will get pushed through the esc and motor? Might not like that!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

According to the translation you still have to use a battery to do a motor run. This would only power up the dyno. I would want to eliminate the battery completely. How many volts are required to make a motor run ?

7.4 v. ?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I looked at other power supply options but I went back to a single lipo.

Single lipo provided consistent verifiable back to back results.

A 6V lead acid with low IR and decent capacity would also do the job but I didn't have one.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

I found the voltage required ( I think) 6.6 v. - 8.8 v.

I have a pulsar 3 I use for the G-Force motor anyl. It has a voltage out output up to 8.4 v. @ 10 amps. That should work for most of the motors I run.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

I doubt a switch mode power supply unless it is massively overrated will work.

IE your 10A supply is not going to be enough if you want to do loading testing.

13.5T motors draw 120-140A with a single Lipo.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Damn, I guess I will have to dig out my 150 amp 8.0v power supply out of storage. It's it the very rear of the storage container, a good half a day. Oh well.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Just use a 2s lipo.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

For a power supply, Fantom used to suggest about 12v/120a that is why I use a car battery. You never have a amp or voltage problem. On a R/C battery (LiPo) a few pulls without a recharge and I think you would start seeing a difference because of voltage drop. But it would take testing to show how many before results are affected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.