Wiki Posts
Search

A.M.B RC2 decoder questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default A.M.B RC2 decoder questions

I've just bought a whole timing system from a track that closed down. Everything seems to be there. There's a TON of coax, leads, adaptors P.A etc.. However I have a mac and need to buy a dedicated PC to run Laps free or something similar.

Before asking my questions I should say that I don't have a lot of money and want to get my track up and racing as soon as possible.

Can anyone recommend a laptop that would be ideal?
The leads that came with it all have serial-to-usb adaptors on them though I've read the serial connection is more reliable (possibly due to dodgy software drivers?). I've also read that some makes of PC are not as reliable as others. The computer would be dedicated and not connected to the internet.

I'm sure I've seen the system requirements somewhere but can't find them atm so if someone can tell me these (and possibly if some old versions of Windows are more suitable than others).

Any other advice from experienced users would also be appreciated

thanks

Last edited by swarf; 08-31-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

The make of PC is no big deal, but I would suggest you get something that can run Win7. The guys who make the software for timing, are moving past WinXP since it is no longer being updated by Microsoft. Win8 is more for mobile devices (and is a pain) so I don't recommend it.

The serial to usb adapters are fine, you need to use the right drivers. I have purchased this one, (Sabrent) and it works the best with drivers from 2008.

I would also look into upgrading to RC4 as soon as possible. RC Scoring Pro is offering a trade in for 700 bucks. RC2 will not see the RC4 transponders.

Good luck, anymore questions, just ask.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for that, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I've read (and been told) that the RC2 will read the rc4 hybrids but not the rc4 pure (3 wire) transponders. That's fine for what I'm doing. In fact I've never even seen the 3 wire rc4s.

Also I figure being on a budget I'll be able to make use of the MRT clones.

As I still owe money for this system I'm not going to have $700 for some time
Old 08-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

There is one other thing that can be done. If you plug in to the port on the decoder box( it looks like a D and printers use it), and put the other end into a usb port on the computer, it will power the unit. So if there is a accidental power outage, the laptop and decoder will keep running.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

The port marked "auxiliary"?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

no, aux port is for setting up timing lights for drag racing. The one Im talking about is in the shape of a D. It is the newer printer port. I forgot the name of it.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JimmyG
no, aux port is for setting up timing lights for drag racing. The one Im talking about is in the shape of a D. It is the newer printer port. I forgot the name of it.
It's a standard A/B USB cable. The A being the flat end and B being the "D" shape end.

Never understood having to use the USB to serial adapter. Especially with the RC2 decoder. One more thing to have and to go bad plus the drivers are difficult to find. But then the software you use has to support the USB protocol!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

I've got a PC with windows XP on it. Plugged the serial to USB cable into it and the hardware wizard searched for it and found nothing.
So now I have the RC2 decoder which appears to be working but it won't talk to the computer. I've found the drivers on the mylaps site and the computer won't open it.
Not really sure what to do now. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Why are you using a serial to USB cable? From what I have read a lot of those don't work in this application. The rc decoder is the only one that had the capability to use either. If you have an older pc use a serial cable,... if you have a newer pc use USB... Steal one off a printer, scanner.. something just to try it. I'm using an older laptop,.. it had both.. so I could use either one. When I got an rc3 I used the Ethernet cable,... and the serial for the adaptive sign.

I would do away with the adapter cable first... Before wireless USB cables were the thing... I probably have 10 -15 of them around here....
Old 10-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Windows does not need to find the decoder box for it to work. The Windows will not even know what it is. The timing software does. If the drivers are installed correctly, it should work. You also may need to adjust which port it is on. The serial to usb adapter is "simulating" a serial port on the usb port. You should be able to go into devices on the computer and look for serial adapter and see if it is functioning. Also sometimes, you may need to go into the usb adapter and make sure the power is on all the time. That is also under devices. Sometimes they are setup as a power saver profile, and the usb will be off even if the adapter is plugged in.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

All the stuff I have was bought from an existing, working track. I'm using the cables as they are because I figure that's how they had it working best.
I've tried plugging in from the "D" usb port on the decoder to the USB port on the PC and the decoder doesn't show in devices.
Is doesn't show up in the Decoder wizard. It's asking for an ethernet address.
It doesn't show up in Laps Free. It asks to assign a com port and I don't know what to put there.
Whenever I plug something into the usb port the wizard connects to windows update and tells me it can't find the necessary software. I've downloaded a bunch of drivers for the Serial-to-USB cable but none of them work including the one from the mylaps site.
There's a port on the PC I have that looks like a serial port but has more pins.
I really don't know what I'm doing here
Old 10-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

You said everything was from an existing track... Was the laps fee also?

From Laps free's site.

"Unfortunately many USB-Serial Adaptors don't work with AMB systems, however we've tested this one and guarantee it will work with AMB System 20, AMBrc, AMBrc3 and our serial devices. A full refund will be given if you find it doesn't work!"

Also

"
•Supports AMBrc (Serial) <--- nothing about USB

•Supports AMBrc3 (Serial and TCP/IP - RJ45 connection)

•Support for AMB system 20 (Serial)

"

Think I remember reading this before... Lapsfree doesn't support USB... correct me if I'm wrong

Originally Posted by swarf
There's a port on the PC I have that looks like a serial port but has more pins.
I really don't know what I'm doing here
Parallel port maybe?? You don't want that... I use that for my printer.

Last edited by Ed Anderson; 10-08-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

The track I got it from was using laps free yes. They suggested I do the same
Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

There have been many posts through out the years about software... I do remember something about it. I went to lapsfrees site... didn't see anything about USB. Might want to contact them... or who you got the equipment from.

Last edited by Ed Anderson; 10-08-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

http://www.rctech.net/forum/4769382-post9.html

There is more then one post stating it in this thread

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...c-decoder.html

Thought I remembered reading this before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.