Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMB RC decoder

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Default AMB RC decoder

I have here the AMB RC Decoder, the device that receives the lap-signals through the antenne-cable, and transmits them to the PC with time-keeping-software.
(I borrowed it from my RC-club, for testing)
I would like to use it with Free Laps and so I try to connect it to my pc with the USB-cable.

The problem is my PC detects an USB-device but does not have a clue what it is and so, needs drivers for the thing.
(I'm running WinXP on this Laptop).
Anyone knows where I could find these drivers?

thx!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you have to have a lap counting program on the computer that uses amb the drivers are in the scoring software
Old 08-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

This seems very strange to me.
I thought it is the machine (pc) that needs drivers to be able to understand the signals from the decoder, then being able to transmit them to the software.

offcourse it could be possible that the official AMB-software contains these drivers and installs them prior to being able to use the AMB-signals.

Anyway, the soft I use is Laps Free and it is able to work with the AMB-transponders: the older AMBrc-20-system and the new AMBrc-system.
... but it still needs to see the signals from the pc-hardware

I used the older AMBrc-20 system before. This only had a serial connection, and it was very easy to make a connection through a normal USB-to-Serial-adaptorcable.

The newer AMBrc-decoder also has an USB-port, ... but linking it to the pc (laptop) gave me the warning that the pc only saw a strange device that needed drivers.
We were however able to make a connection ... through the serial cable AND with a special USB-to-Serial-adaptor. With a simple adaptor it would not work. It only did with this special adaptor that contained some kind of chip.
I'll ask Willy Hermans what this type of chip was, and post it over here.

I still find it a pitty that the USB-connection can not be used with alternative software, alldough I have not given up my attempts to find an USB-solution.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Might I suggest updating the usb driver? not sure if this would help.

Possible that laps free is so free, that the support for the newest decoder is not compatible with your laptop usb drivers.. the laptop should see the device name as "AMB Decoder"

I hate to suggest this, but it is possible that Doug might help you [email protected]. I use his software, and have had no trouble.
If you would like to PM me I can look at my settings in my laptop and software and see if there is a solution there. www.rcscoringpro.com. or maybe I can find the exact .inf file to install, maybe?

thanks,
Pete
Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Tech Regular

Well, this RC Scoring Pro-software seems very nice but is no option for me.
I just organise a single FUN-competition (an endurance-buggy-challenge) and do not have a budget to pay $ 599.00 for that soft.
Hence the choice of the free software: Laps Free.

I have used Laps free manually when we didn't had a transponder system, used it via a simple USB-Serial-adaptor with the older AMBrc-20-system, and we were able to use it with the AMBrc-decoder (not the latest version) through a special USB-Serial-adaptor.
SO Laps Free functions allright. It's just that the decoder is not recognised by the pc, when connecting it through USB.
So I really would like to find a correct driver for this. There should be one, I guess, since this AMB-RC-Decoder had the USB-port (typeB)

I'll send you that PM and hope that you could find something.
thx in advance, Rc Corral!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Addict

Look on AMB's website and you will find a USB driver for their system. Don't have it on the laptop I am on now but I think it was even named AMBUSB........

Ed M.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

maybe this file

AMBUSB.inf is included in this download.
I will also go down to the track and look now on the laptop.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/rc-...loads/7727238/

Pete
Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bentgear
Look on AMB's website and you will find a USB driver for their system. ...
Sorry, but I haven't been able to find any driver on their site.
There is a downloadsection for which you need to log in. I tried that, and got a webpage where I had to give the serialnumber of the decoder.
... but the decoder I have only has a serial of 5 numbers
and the serial you have to fill in, needs 30 numbers.

@RC Coral: thx a lot!
.. but the link you gave, only points me out to a webpage mentioning details about rc-timing.exe
did I do something wrong?

[edit]
I get it. it seems there is an USBdriver within this file.
I'll try to test these files but unfortunatly the AMB-decoder is being used elsewhere on a competition. I'll test them when I get the AMB-decoder back again.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Laps Free does not support the USB interface. This is the designers choice. It's serial or RJ-45 only. You will need to go back to the USB serial converter.
Since newer laptops don't come with a serial port, you will need to get a USB to serial PMICA card.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Low_E,

I've bought both, an "rc" and an "rc3" decoder new from AMB and they did not come with drivers. Its in the race program software. (I'm using AutoScore) I used the serial connection with the "rc" decoder most of the time. (used USB only a few times without any problems) With the "rc3" decoder, I use the TCP/IP connection (there is no USB)... still using the same laptop but updated software.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

ok, thx for the info.
This makes thing very clear.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hi, u can get the driver after u install a Jlap manager...u can request d jlap from jlapmanager.com and install it...inside the Jlap manager folder, there got a AMBUSB ...install it and u can use d decoder.....
Old 08-27-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Maybe you need to download the disk that comes with the usb cord. i had to do this with rcscoring pro to get it to work on usb. if you bought a new usb cable there is a disk in there.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackBart
Maybe you need to download the disk that comes with the usb cord. i had to do this with rcscoring pro to get it to work on usb. if you bought a new usb cable there is a disk in there.

now that you mention it, I had to do this as well to get mine to function.
I think that Doug wrote it into the new version of the software that this wouldnt be needed. Speaking of Doug, he's selling his Nikon D3 if anyone is interested.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

You can find the USB drivers for the AMBrc HERE

Another problem, the software your using has to support the USB protocol. I'm not sure if Laps Free does. JLap does but RC Scoring Pro does not (according to their website).

Also, if you allowed Windows "found new device" wizard to install a generic driver for the AMBrc it will have to be uninstalled. After the uninstall reboot then plug in the decoder again and when you get the wizard direct it to the folder where you have the USB driver saved.

Again if the software does not support it don't bother. If your computer doesn't have a serial port then you may have to use the serial/USB adapter. Not all these adapters are compatible with the AMBrc. RC Scoring Pro recommends one on their website.

One more thing: AMBrc3 does not have USB. Only Serial (RS232) and TCPIP (RJ45).

Hope this Helps!

Last edited by Bob Malphurs; 09-23-2008 at 04:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.