Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A.M.B RC2 decoder questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I haven't tried setting up the loop. I just want the decoder to show up in the decoder wizard. I don't know how else to connect the decoder to the computer.
The free version of autoscore says it won't open unless there's a printer connected.

All I want for now is to connect the decoder to the computer.

I thought the first step in setting up the timing loop was getting the decoder to register somewhere on the computer. Am I doing it wrong? Will it not show up in the decoder wizard without the loop set up?
Old 11-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

The decoder has a light on it, its green when on, and blinks red when a transponder passes the loop, and every six seconds (clock on time to the computer).

This problem sounds like a simple driver issue.

Is the computer connected to the internet? If so, just connect the usb to serial adapter (no decoder) Windows XP should pick it up (if you have service pack3), if not, go to control panel, then to add new hardware. If it finds it, Windows will ask to dl from Windows update. If it works, then it should install the drivers. If it doesnt, try the other link posted in the thread.

The last option, spend the 15 bucks and get this one. usb serial adapter I know that one works with drivers from 2008. Drivers from 2012 mess it up. I still have this from when we had our RC2 decoder.

The other thing to remember, dont keep switching usb ports to get it to work, use one and stick with that one port. Windows XP doesnt seem to like it when you move devices from port to port. Its seems its not "global" for the system, just the port.

Since you are stuck with no USB support with the software, the only options you have is simulating a serial port.

If you want to, I can help remotely with Teamviewer if you want.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

I've connected the computer to the internet and it says it can't find the necessary software. Downloaded a bunch of drivers. I'm pretty sure the cable I have is an aten r232 adaptor.
Thanks that would be great. I'll download teamviewer and PM you when it's set up
Old 11-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Do yourself a favor and go to the B&B software site and download the software and USB drivers for the Ambrc2. Install the race software and run the USB drivers install. The drivers install to a folder on your C drive. Then plug in the decoder with a A/B USB cable (printer cable). You should get "Found new hardware wizard" and manually add the drivers from the folder AMB/USB on the C drive.

If you had already tried to use the decoder with the USB cable follow the steps below:

Go to Device Manager and find the decoder. This may be hard to find, hopefully there's a device with an "!" if not Windows may have selected a driver for it (that won't work!) and it will be listed under "Universal Serial Bus controller". Find it and select "Update Drivers" and browse to the folder "AMB/USB" on the C drive.

In Auto Score under "options/transponders" select AMBrc2. When you open "Practice" or go to "Race" the light turns green.

Last edited by Bob Malphurs; 11-03-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Even if you have the USB drivers correctly installed the light on the decoder will stay red and will not signal a transponder passing until the race software sends a command to the decoder. Then and only then they do a "handshake" and the light on the decoder goes green. When a transponder passes the light blinks red. Also the decoder blinks red every 5 seconds on it's own without a transponder passing!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks I'll try that. I keep reading about 32bit and 64 bit os and how some programs will only operate on one or the other. Is there a way to tell what my os is?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

You posted earlier you had XP. Chances are you have 32bit XP. Mainly only higher end XP machines could run 64bit. Follow the steps below to see which you have

Computers running Windows XP

•Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

•If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

•If you don’t see "x64 Edition" listed under System, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

The edition of Windows XP you're running is displayed under System near the top of the window.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

So....any luck detecting the decoder yet?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Questions??

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
So....any luck detecting the decoder yet?
Did you ever get this to work?? Let us know.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
Do yourself a favor and go to the B&B software site and download the software and USB drivers for the Ambrc2. Install the race software and run the USB drivers install. The drivers install to a folder on your C drive. Then plug in the decoder with a A/B USB cable (printer cable). You should get "Found new hardware wizard" and manually add the drivers from the folder AMB/USB on the C drive.

If you had already tried to use the decoder with the USB cable follow the steps below:

Go to Device Manager and find the decoder. This may be hard to find, hopefully there's a device with an "!" if not Windows may have selected a driver for it (that won't work!) and it will be listed under "Universal Serial Bus controller". Find it and select "Update Drivers" and browse to the folder "AMB/USB" on the C drive.

In Auto Score under "options/transponders" select AMBrc2. When you open "Practice" or go to "Race" the light turns green.
Thanks. I've tried all of these things listed and no luck.

Does the timing loop need to be set up in its entirety for the decoder to register on the computer?

It's a 32 bit system.

I've tried looking in device manager while the decoder is plugged in via the serial to usb cable and there isn't anything under "Universal serial Bus Controllers" besides a bunch of "Intel host controllers" and a bunch of "USB Root hubs".
There is nothing listed with a "!"

Autoscore won't open on my computer so am restricted to laps free.

The light on the decoder is a solid red.

So the correct software drivers are there and I can't find the decoder anywhere.

When I use the A/B cable something pops up under "Other Devices". When I try to update the driver it doesn't work. It also asks what type of hardware it is and I've put "Universal serial bus controller" which may be wrong.

Can someone please explain simply the process of making this work. The manual is not at all helpful and I am a complete noob.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by swarf
Thanks. I've tried all of these things listed and no luck.

Does the timing loop need to be set up in its entirety for the decoder to register on the computer?

It's a 32 bit system.

I've tried looking in device manager while the decoder is plugged in via the serial to usb cable and there isn't anything under "Universal serial Bus Controllers" besides a bunch of "Intel host controllers" and a bunch of "USB Root hubs".
There is nothing listed with a "!"

Autoscore won't open on my computer so am restricted to laps free.

The light on the decoder is a solid red.

So the correct software drivers are there and I can't find the decoder anywhere.

When I use the A/B cable something pops up under "Other Devices". When I try to update the driver it doesn't work. It also asks what type of hardware it is and I've put "Universal serial bus controller" which may be wrong.

Can someone please explain simply the process of making this work. The manual is not at all helpful and I am a complete noob.
No, the loop does not need to be connected for the computer to find the decoder.

Autoscore should open if installed properly. Did the Autoscore program go through the installation process? Did it place a icon on the desktop? Are you logged in as "administrator"? Try right clicking on the icon, click on "properties" go to "shortcut" and "advances" and check "run as administrator".

You said "So the correct software drivers are there and I can't find the decoder anywhere", what drivers are you referring to? The decoder drivers or the USB to Serial adapters drivers?

I'm not sure where the drivers for the USB to Serial adapter show in Device Manager but "AMB Decoder" will show up under USB Controllers.

Did you download the "AMB/USB drivers" from the Autoscore site? If so did you execute the installation program. If so it should have placed a folder on your C drive named "AMB/USB". When you plug in the decoder for the first time it should pop up the "Found new Hardware Wizard". Select the option to manually install the drivers and browse to the folder on the C drive and select the folder "AMB/USB". If the "Found new Hardware Wizard" doesn't appear go to "Device Manager" and see if it's under "Other Devices". Right click on it and click "Drivers" and choose the option to "Update Drivers" and browse to the AMB/USB folder on your C drive. If done properly the decoder should show up under USB Controllers.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

When using a USB to Serial adapter in Windows, it will show up in Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT). It will list something like: "Brand USB to Serial Adapter (COMx)" where the x is the serial port it's emulating. I don't think you need this for the scoring systems. But this is the way you verify this part is working.

For the most part XP doesn't need a driver installed to recognize a Serial to USB adapter.

Using the driver from the Autoscore website is only necessary if you are trying to use the decoder natively off USB, which many people have said is problematic.

Is this the system you're going to use to race? Thought you were looking for a laptop? If you are, I'd recommend a Dell Latitude, something in the D or E class. These are meant to be abused and are normally tanks. Also since they were very popular, there's a huge supply of them, especially with companies dumping them because of refresh cycles or leases. Should be able to pick up a good condition one for less than $100. I wouldn't worry about Windows XP, if that's what it comes with. XP was Microsoft's most popular OS and even though it's not supported anymore by Microsoft, it will be around for years and the peripheral makers will continue to support it for years.

I've got a couple of XP systems including one we use for our RC track. It's not connected to the internet and never will be, so I'm not concerned.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GerryH
When using a USB to Serial adapter in Windows, it will show up in Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT). It will list something like: "Brand USB to Serial Adapter (COMx)" where the x is the serial port it's emulating. I don't think you need this for the scoring systems. But this is the way you verify this part is working.

For the most part XP doesn't need a driver installed to recognize a Serial to USB adapter.

Using the driver from the Autoscore website is only necessary if you are trying to use the decoder natively off USB, which many people have said is problematic.
Thanks for the info on where the adapter is located. Makes sense it would be under Ports. I've never needed to use one.

I would have to disagree that XP doesn't need drivers for the adapter. I've heard to many accounts where getting the right adapters and the right drivers to get them to work in XP and Win 7/8.

As for the RC2 decoder connected via the USB being problematic.....absolutely not true! If anything this is the perfect protocol! Not only is it 100% reliable it also powers the decoder and when connected to a laptop it will not lose power in a power outage. I think this rumor was started by some software's companies inability to use USB. It makes no sense to use a USB to Serial adapter, just another thing to fail!

I was sorry to lose the USB when the RC3/4 came out. I wish they had dropped the serial port and kept the USB! I do like the TCPIP (LAN) on the new decoders! Connected to a hub or router you can share the decoder with multiple computers. Of course the software has to support it!

Last edited by Bob Malphurs; 12-09-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have to admit I have no experience running the AMBRC2 decoder off USB, only serial. It was a no-brainer since we use a computer with a serial port and serial is straight forward.

I just tried my generic usb to serial on a XP SP3 system and it did require downloading the driver off the Microsoft update site, but did so automatically when I plugged it in. I used to use one of these things for work all the time, but it's been years since I had XP, I had forgotten the process.

It is strange that Mylaps would drop USB with their new decoder. Wonder if the logic is that serial is universal as well as IP and you don't need to create/maintain USB drivers if you use these protocols.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Can't believe you are having this much problem. .. I've loaded AS on 2 lap tops & 3 desktops... most of them have had a least one HD replacement.. my race laptop has been rebuilt twice. Never loaded any drivers... just AS software. .. just load it and it flies... on like... 10 -11 computers.

Its been that easy, just load and play... somethings missing. Back when I had an rc decoder I swapped cables from serial to USB and back... still never had any problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.