Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Sanwa / Airtronics M12 (Check first post for FAQ & Info) >

Sanwa / Airtronics M12 (Check first post for FAQ & Info)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree8Likes

Sanwa / Airtronics M12 (Check first post for FAQ & Info)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Wow, that is really interesting, Napoleon. I'm on my second M12 radio. The first one wouldn't bind. I got another after exchanging the first one. The second radio loses signal in the far right corner of the track just like you explained yours doing. The retailer won't except this second radio back so they pawned me off on Global Hobbies. I contacted someone there who seemed uninterested in discussing the issue and told me to send it in to be tested by a technician. These issues are simply unacceptable from what is supposed to be top caliber equipment. Regardless, I'm left with no choice but to send my brand new radio in for testing and race with an older radio indefinitly. Needless to say, I've been very unhappy with this experience and I wouldn't recommend this radio to anyone until Airtronics has had more time to identify the fact that there is a widespread issue and take an action to correct it.

Just so there is no question, it is probably worth noting that when I lost signal, I was using the RX-471 that came with the radio. I've also tried using RX-461 receivers. The receiver antenna was properly oriented inside an antenna tube and not tucked inside the body of my model. I also tried using a rx capacitor in hopes of increasing signal strength. My car uses an XP Digital 1015 servo and LRP Flow speedo. I've tried both the SHR and NOR modulation modes neither of which addresses my signal loss issue. After loosing signal several times throughout the quanlifing rounds of a series race I participated in, I had no choice but to use my MT-4 to finish the race. The MT-4 never lost signal.

Last edited by aeMatt; 06-12-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for sharing your experience aeMatt. It sounds like we experience the exact same thing. I was also told to send it in, so looks like I'm in the same boat as you. Did you do a range check on yours? I get an occasional signal glitch at 50-75 feet out, and after 75 feet it is practically done........

My two TC and F1 car all do exactly the same thing, and I too have a nice setup with the wire straight up, feeding through the body of the car.

I feel your frustration aeMatt, you probably bought the M12 for the exact same reason as I did: A highend transmitter so you would never have to worry about radio glitching...........
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Initiate

How are you performing your range check? Is this something the radio will check or are you estimating the distance your model is when the glitch starts to happen? When at the far right side of the track I was on which was approximately 100ft from the drivers stand, my model would wonder. That is, I would lose control of both throttle and steering.

The interesting thing I found was I could sometimes throttle through this area of poor signal strength. So, if I stayed on the throttle where I knew I was losing reception, I could usually keep control of the car. Whats also interesting to me is I can turn off my radio before turning off my car at my pit area and the car will sit still (the motor doesn't turn and the steering doesn't turn) but when I came to the far right side of the track during practice or racing, the car would wonder by itself erratically. In either case, the car isn't receiving a signal from the radio but I get difference results on and off the track...bizarre.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

That is exactly the problem I had. In my 17.5 car I could point the nose in the right direction, and it would kind of roll through the loss of signal section and I would regain control. Sometimes it felt tho as if it accelerated again too, causing me to overshoot the corner. Somehow driving like this I still won the 17.5 class with a lap over the field, and my laptimes and consistency were fine LOL. In modified I was screwed tho, speeds are just too high to do this and I clipped a wall. I too have experienced the different behaviors in glitching (keeping control, and the wondering), I have experienced sudden hard accelerations too btw).

Yes the ranges I quote are indeed estimates. I started playing with settings and receiver locations at home and was wondering how I could check if it made a difference. What I ended up doing was putting the transmitter in the middle of the driveway and started walking away from the transmitter with the chassis in my hands. While I was walking I kept an eye on the blue LED in the RX-471 receiver. Once I was about 50 feet out at 2 O'clock from the transmitter I could see an occasional hickup in the blue light, nothing more than a split second. I assume that this hickup is what we feel as the glitch that we can drive through. Once I go further, it happens more frequently and the hickups become longer, ie. the LED goes completely off for a second and comes back on.

If you open up the transmitter, you will find that there are 2 antennas that are mounted in the handle. One in the 45 degree part and one horizontal in the transmitter. I hold the transmitter in my left hand, and thus the antennas are the most open to the left hand side of the transmitter. To the left hand side of the transmitter I had slightly more range but not much more. But for my track it appears to be barely enough.

When you read the manual, they claim its a high power transmitter and should give you range till line of sight (whatever that means). Mine gives line of sight for a close to blind person

Originally Posted by aeMatt
How are you performing your range check? Is this something the radio will check or are you estimating the distance your model is when the glitch starts to happen? When at the far right side of the track I was on which was approximately 100ft from the drivers stand, my model would wonder. That is, I would lose control of both throttle and steering.

The interesting thing I found was I could sometimes throttle through this area of poor signal strength. So, if I stayed on the throttle where I knew I was losing reception, I could usually keep control of the car. Whats also interesting to me is I can turn off my radio before turning off my car at my pit area and the car will sit still (the motor doesn't turn and the steering doesn't turn) but when I came to the far right side of the track during practice or racing, the car would wonder by itself erratically. In either case, the car isn't receiving a signal from the radio but I get difference results on and off the track...bizarre.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I feel your pain. I'm running modified classes so it made the car impossible to control. All this for only $450...what a deal!!! Pardon my sarcasm but I've really been upset to spend this money only to have to send it back for repair and have nothing for the money I spent.

Fact is, it's an electronic device and there will be disfunctional units. I just didn't expect there to be this many. I supose that's a risk we must assume as consumers of Airtronics products or any products for that matter. Unfortunately for me, lightning struck twice as this is the second disfunctional one I've received.

My closing thoughts...as always, buyer beware. Hopefully Airtronics will take care of those who support and promote thier products. This completes my rant.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Sorry to hear your guys problems and it sucks. I had my radio since day 1 with no issues. I dont even run my antenna sticking up. Its in the receiver box and I have no issues what so ever. 3 or 4 of my friends have the radio with no issues. I do hate how Airtronics is going about fixing/replacing you guys radio.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by napoleon1981
That is exactly the problem I had. In my 17.5 car I could point the nose in the right direction, and it would kind of roll through the loss of signal section and I would regain control. Sometimes it felt tho as if it accelerated again too, causing me to overshoot the corner. Somehow driving like this I still won the 17.5 class with a lap over the field, and my laptimes and consistency were fine LOL. In modified I was screwed tho, speeds are just too high to do this and I clipped a wall. I too have experienced the different behaviors in glitching (keeping control, and the wondering), I have experienced sudden hard accelerations too btw).

Yes the ranges I quote are indeed estimates. I started playing with settings and receiver locations at home and was wondering how I could check if it made a difference. What I ended up doing was putting the transmitter in the middle of the driveway and started walking away from the transmitter with the chassis in my hands. While I was walking I kept an eye on the blue LED in the RX-471 receiver. Once I was about 50 feet out at 2 O'clock from the transmitter I could see an occasional hickup in the blue light, nothing more than a split second. I assume that this hickup is what we feel as the glitch that we can drive through. Once I go further, it happens more frequently and the hickups become longer, ie. the LED goes completely off for a second and comes back on.

If you open up the transmitter, you will find that there are 2 antennas that are mounted in the handle. One in the 45 degree part and one horizontal in the transmitter. I hold the transmitter in my left hand, and thus the antennas are the most open to the left hand side of the transmitter. To the left hand side of the transmitter I had slightly more range but not much more. But for my track it appears to be barely enough.

When you read the manual, they claim its a high power transmitter and should give you range till line of sight (whatever that means). Mine gives line of sight for a close to blind person
Excatly the Same problem I had since changing the servo mode seems to be ok but who knows what will happen I emailed both sanwa and airtronics 2 months ago and are still awaiting a response first sanwa airtronics product I have used maybe the last
Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Tech Initiate

If you'd like to send your radio in for testing/repair, you should call Farrell at Hobby People at (714) 963-0329. Hobby People distributes Sanwa products in the U.S. under the Airtronics name. You may reach him between the hours of 9am-3pm PST. Apparently, he is the only "Airtronics Guy" who can take care of such issues. When I called earlier this week, testing lead times where around 3-4 days.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I know this thread is for the M12 but I had the SAME issue with my brand new MT-4.

First time I used it was no problem. Second time, lost its bind and wouldn't re-bind to the rx-461 that came with it. I tried 2 other rx, one rx-461 and also a rx from a M11x.

I just had to send mine in for repair.

Before this I was buying those crappy Flysky radios, and never had a problem
Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

I got a response on my second email, and was told to send it in. I did send my transmitter in 2 days ago, so we will see how this gets resolved. I will keep you guys in the loop.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Oh no...I've had an MT-4 for almost two years and haven't experienced one problem. I didn't realize MT-4 users were also experiencing these problems. I guess both radios have the same internal antenna components so it doens't surprise me. Airtronics reps will say these are "isolated incidents" but I experienced this problem with the last two M12's I've had. What are the odds I would get two radios with similar issues from the same retailer within one month? Regardless, all we can do is remain patient and hope things are worked out in the end...stay tuned.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm on my second radio. The first wouldn't bind to rx. Airtronics replaced the radio after a lot of crap having to go thru hobby people. Terrible customer support. Now the new radio is experiencing range problems. I had no idea that the issues I was experiencing could have been the radio. Ended up replacing everything in my car, only to have come back time after time. Car would just shut off during race at random times. Now the car gets to farther parts of the track an either just stops or accelerates by itself then stops. I walk over to pick car up and car starts responding again. I am beyond pissed. This radio is the biggest piece of crap. $500 for and get terrible customer service and a non working Second radio. I don't know what to do. If I get another I'm sure it will do the same thing. What a rip off.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Default New M12 Firmware Update

If anybody is looking for the new firmware update, I hope this link is useful. It has PC program, driver for the radio and new firmware. http://www.lrp.cc/en/service/tech-ti...ils/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=6993
Old 06-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Will the protek inserts fit a radio post case or spektrum case.

I have an m12 coming but need to find a case for it.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 03:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Arrow M12

What other RX work with this Radio.... so far I have zero issues with mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.