Wiki Posts
Search

Gens Ace Batteries Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by youwish16

i had a hell of a time trying to explain to support but for some reason, they didn't understand
Customer support for anything are usually horrible. Ever call your credit card company? Ebay support? ATT? All retards. it's like talking to my dog. I truly believe he knows what I'm saying to him, but in all honesty the dog doesn't know what I'm saying.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Looks like 65C batteries are in stock at Hobby Partz. Limited time only. Jump on them now because you may never see them again.

Kidding aside, I have 8 Gen's Ace packs that I've purchased over the last few years. 6 of the 40C ROAR approved bullet connector type and 2 of the 50C. All great batteries for the money and they are all I ever run anymore. But people come here looking for critiques so here's mine.

The first ones I bought way back when came with Dean's style T-connector adapters. Wish this was still the case. Those stupid connectors they come with now are useless to just about everyone.

They change the part numbers on them then don't submit them for reapproval. So all of the batteries on the HobbyPartz "ROAR Approved" section come with ROAR Approved stickers but only a few of them actually are. You won't be able to run them at an actual ROAR event unless the part numbers match the approval list. The 50C batteries I bought most recently don't match the part number on the approval list.

I don't care about the design on the case, but I've seen better hard case designs on cheap batteries. These are kind of flexible and seem like they could split easily.

There is a wide variance of battery quality. I've rated all my batteries at 10 amp discharges. Some perform very well and others not so well. Surprisingly, my best 40C batteries perform better than the 50C batteries I recently bought both on the discharge rating and on the track.

Only problem I've ever had was the internal solder joint to the tube melted after plugging it in to my speed control backwards (bullet connectors are great, but sooner or later you'll get distracted). I was able to open the case and resolder it. Don't know if my Speedo had reverse polarity protection or not, but I was thankful for the cheap solder joint giving out rather than frying my speedo.

They are only in stock for a few minutes every several months. This goes for just about everything worth buying on the HobbyPartz and related "Nitro Models" web sites. Makes no sense to me how a company can survive when it never has any inventory to sell.

I used online chat for a return once at Hobbypartz (not a battery). I had to wait a while to get someone but had no problem with the RMA after that.

Last edited by beemerfan; 04-11-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxthepersonz
Were all looking for the 50c or the 65c.
Just bought 2 of these and they are in stock at the moment:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace65c.html

HURRY
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Since I bought my first gens ace lipo I only use this brand. And I've tried hyperion G3 before. Just ordered a 2200 and 3300 5S lipo, already shipped, can't wait!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just got two of the new 65c Gens Ace batteries. The Gens Aces are about all I run now. I have 4 sky lipos that I also run but I have about 8 Gens Ace batteries. Can't wait to try out the new 65c and see if they are any better than the 50c batteries that I have
Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Carranza76

HURRY
Woot! Got two, thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

What does it mean when it says 2S2P? Two cell.... And?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stixvegas
What does it mean when it says 2S2P? Two cell.... And?
There are actually 4 cells in the pack. 2 wired in (S)eries and 2 in (P)arallel. Behaves and charges just like a 2S pack. I think they build them that way because of something to do with shipping restrictions.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

they have the 40c 2s 5000 direct packs in stock. better get those before they are gone. they still dont have the bullet style ones though, which are the ones i really want

http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace40c1.html
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 175 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carranza76
http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace65c.html

HURRY
looks like they are out of stock now, from what i've been reading the 40-50c packs are holding up great.. please let us know how the newer 65c ones work for you!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i ORDERED MINE YESTERDAY AND THEY ARE BEING DELIVERED TODAY!! HOLY CRAP!

Guess it helps only being about 20 to 30 miles from where they shipped lol
Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by beemerfan
There are actually 4 cells in the pack. 2 wired in (S)eries and 2 in (P)arallel. Behaves and charges just like a 2S pack. I think they build them that way because of something to do with shipping restrictions.
Ok, great. Thanks for the info. I noticed that after I ordered them and thought that I might not be able to use them with my charger or car for a second.

Phew!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Has nothing to do with shipping because the 40c batteries in the 5000 mah are 1p. I think it has something to do with getting the 65c rating.

From the net...
"Parallel
Unlike Ni-Cd and Ni-MH cells that self-discharge when wired in parallel, LiPo cells can be hooked up, charged and discharged in parallel with no detrimental effect. Wiring two LiPo cells in parallel doubles the capacity (more run time), plus an important advantage of wiring in parallel is that each cell only sees half the total current."

So basically they are taking two batteries rated at around 30-40c and wiring them in parallel to achieve the 65c rating. Each cell will only need to put out half the current, which in theory should also keep heat to a minimum.

<edit> wish I needed more of the 40c bateries. I got a few a month back and they are pretty nice.

Last edited by MikeInCtown; 04-12-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You will still be pulling same wattage through the subpar connectors though. Direct wired is the only option in my opinion for the cheaper cells. Gonna try some onboard bullet saddles but the rest of my packs are hardwired with Deans.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLinney
You will still be pulling same wattage through the subpar connectors though. Direct wired is the only option in my opinion for the cheaper cells. Gonna try some onboard bullet saddles but the rest of my packs are hardwired with Deans.
I don't want to get into a pissing match, but I find it funny how you call the pack connectors sub par, but use Deans on the batteries. The battery is capable of putting out 300 amps continous, and yet the deans connector can handle about 70 according to what I've found on the net. Even the basic VXL slash motor is rated at about a 60amp current, and that isn't max.

i'm sure the Deans are awesome for brushed motors, as were being used since the stone ages, but with brushless and lipos and the ability to supply gobs of current, a better connector is needed sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.