Wiki Posts
Search

Gens Ace Batteries Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy

Gens Ace are good for the price but I haven't bought any lately because they keep getting broken connections inside of them. I have had 6 or so solder joints fail inside the lipo, I would open them & resolder it but it would break fail somewhere else. Maybe I just had bad luck with them, who knows. I only buy Nano-Tech's now, for the extra money it's worth it IMO.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jim Panebianco
Gens Ace are good for the price but I haven't bought any lately because they keep getting broken connections inside of them. I have had 6 or so solder joints fail inside the lipo, I would open them & resolder it but it would break fail somewhere else. Maybe I just had bad luck with them, who knows. I only buy Nano-Tech's now, for the extra money it's worth it IMO.
I have had bad luck with mine as well. When they work properly, they are very good. I had one develop a "bump" in it. I had one 4S puff on a hot day. I had one 2S that arrived in the mail already puffed out of the case. My new 4S has trouble balancing one of the cells so it takes forever to balance charge. So, I am souring on them rather quickly.

Just for the record, I take good care of my lipos.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i started racing electric last year and ive used gens ace batteries ever since. they are great for the price. the drawback is they are never ever in stock. i use the roar approved 40c 2s hardcase and i havent seen them in stock for a while. all the ones i see being sold here sell very fast but i was able to snag one last night.

i also use a thunder ac6 charger from hobbypartz, never had any problems with it.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gabriel2010
Well good news is they are in stock now.
Where? Not Hobbypartz...
Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Definitly great batteries, ive done comparison tests using different batteries on my blinky cars and found the Gens to be the best I've used for my purposes.

Last edited by russp; 03-29-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I TQ'ed in all 3 quals. In the A-Main I was in Fist Place from the start of the race until the end. The car was running smooth. The Gens Ace Batteries were perfect for the race. I had a lot of power with good punch for the entire race.

Where: East Coast Raceway, New Jersey
( Point Series # 3 )

Date: 4-1-2012

1/8th E-Buggy

TQ & 1st Place.

Car: Mugen Seiki Racing MBX6E M-Spec Eco.

Body: BullDog Pro-Line.

Tires: Pro-Line. Tazer M4.

Wheels: Pro-Line. Velocity V2 Yellow F/R.

Battery: Gens Ace / Hobbypartz 5000mah 14.8v 4s 40c.

Bearing: Boca Bearing Yellow # 40-135C-YS.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Does Gens Ace sponsor any pro's?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

This is gonna be a small thread or mainly about how they are never in stock...... I have a few left but will be selling them asap (waiting on other lipo's to come in)......... I'd rather pay more and get customer support then pay cheap and have no customer support.......
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
This is gonna be a small thread or mainly about how they are never in stock...... I have a few left but will be selling them asap (waiting on other lipo's to come in)......... I'd rather pay more and get customer support then pay cheap and have no customer support.......
But what customer support would you possibly need for a lipo? I could by 3-4 gens packs for the cost of 1 of some name brand packs that are the same pack with a diff label.. Ok lets say I did actually have an issue with gens ace (which I haven't and most don't), who cares. Get rid of it and buy another, your still far far ahead..

Last edited by ovalracer1m; 04-02-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Aoh
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Jim Panebianco
I have had 6 or so solder joints fail inside the lipo, I would open them & resolder it but it would break fail somewhere else. Maybe I just had bad luck with them, who knows.
between my friends and i, we have broken ~12 packs. on our last order i would take em apart before i even ran them and just resolder and beef up the joints.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
Originally Posted by ovalracer1m
But what customer support would you possibly need for a lipo? I could by 3-4 gens packs for the cost of 1 of some name brand packs that are the same pack with a diff label.. Ok lets say I did actually have an issue with gens ace (which I haven't and most don't), who cares. Get rid of it and buy another, your still far far ahead..
i've had issues with 2 gens ace packs and used on-line chat support and was given an RMA within 5 minutes each time. more than i can say for my buddy who puffed an orion 90C in it's first 5 cycles and got told to pound salt by horizon...
Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i had a problem with support one time dealing with a charger. i bought a thunder 1c6 charger and when i got it, i noticed the usb port was missing. took it about and found that it came off the board(guess it wasnt soldered well?).

i had a hell of a time trying to explain to support but for some reason, they didn't understand. i ended up receiving a usb cable in the mail a few days later. i got the feeling they didn't want to replace the charder so i just said screw it and kept the charger because everything works but that usb port.

never had a problem with any of the gens ace batteries yet, knock on wood.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ugh, after about 200 cycles my gens ace packs are starting to slightly puff. What the heck!?!

The only real issue I have with them is that I wish it was a complete black case instead of the goofy antique crackle finish
Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aoh
between my friends and i, we have broken ~12 packs. on our last order i would take em apart before i even ran them and just resolder and beef up the joints.
Maybe I have been lucky but are you guys doing something crazy with your cars that may be causing this issue? Not flaming, just curious. I have had not 1 issue, also many others at my track with 0 issues as well.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ovalracer1m
Warranty warranty warranty........ Yeah get rid of it and g'luck of it being in stock........... I've had issue's with hobbypartz (not with gens ace) and other stuff I've bought and it took me three days to get support from them, two days of randomly trying to get them on the phone, then finally the third day I was able to get someone on the online chat help. Even when I did they told me there was nothing they could do at the time because the manager was not in............... And actually the new lipo's I'm switching to are roar approved and only cost about 5-10 bucks more (on ones you can compare to gens ace) and offer 1yr warranty and have been more then helpful anytime I had questions........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.