Wiki Posts
Search

calling all FUTABA 3PK users.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Johnnyboy,

I know you recently switched from an M11. What do you think of the 3PK so far compared to the Airtronics?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by jon123
Johnnyboy,

I know you recently switched from an M11. What do you think of the 3PK so far compared to the Airtronics?
I am LOVING it! The M11 was a great radio and the menus were a little bit easier to use, but the 3PKS is so much lighter and balanced in the hand. I found the M11 a little too much front heavy. I don't know if I can tell too much of a difference in the FASST system over the Spektrum, but overall I am very happy with the Futaba package. With a little more track time, I am sure the menus will be easy to remember.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
I am LOVING it! The M11 was a great radio and the menus were a little bit easier to use, but the 3PKS is so much lighter and balanced in the hand. I found the M11 a little too much front heavy. I don't know if I can tell too much of a difference in the FASST system over the Spektrum, but overall I am very happy with the Futaba package. With a little more track time, I am sure the menus will be easy to remember.
Have you programmed the Direct Select yet. I think it's one of the 3PK's best features. You can get to any 8 menu options (can't imagine needing any more than that) with just the push of two buttons. It's so fast.
I also switched from the M11 and never looked back. The only thing I preferred was the trigger (the gap in the 3PK's is a bit wide) but a little of fuel tubing fixed that. The FASST system is also awesome.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

^^
I heated the trigger up with a lighter and pulled it in a little. Fits my small finger perfectly now.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

I'll try the polyurethane paint and see what happens. I'd like to paint my sister's radio and my radio, so thanks for the reply. Sister's radio is a crappy HPI radio. I can't remember the model or manufacturer. I thinks it's futaba. IDK. But she'd be happy to have here RTR radio painted. I'll try it this weekend and see what happens.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i just got my first 3pks today , it has the FASST system , hopefully i have good luck with it. i also bought the 27mhz module for it so i can run my mini-z's and a few other models i run on am , so far programming everything went smooth , both of my 1/10 electric have castle creation mambas and the set up was a breeze.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

i am having an issue with my 3PKS where sometimes the steering wheel doesnt turn smoothly and it feels like I have to give it some extra energy to get it to move. Not sure why this is happening. Is there any kind of tension adjustment that may have gotten out of whack?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cpatel529
i am having an issue with my 3PKS where sometimes the steering wheel doesnt turn smoothly and it feels like I have to give it some extra energy to get it to move. Not sure why this is happening. Is there any kind of tension adjustment that may have gotten out of whack?
I'm guessing your rubber around the steering wheel is getting pushed against the radio? I always make sure mine is glued to the wheel with CA. Just a drip at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00. This will keep the rubber from moving towards the radio.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick
Old 12-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Cpatel,

Tension adjuster is on the bottom front of the wheel housing. Don't back it out too much or the adjuster screw can come out.

Check the wheel foam first though. The fit is pretty loose, I use double sided tape on mine.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Thank you for the help! It was the rubber around the steering wheel. I will have to either use a little CA or use double sided tape to keep it affixed.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Saint728
I'm guessing your rubber around the steering wheel is getting pushed against the radio? I always make sure mine is glued to the wheel with CA. Just a drip at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00. This will keep the rubber from moving towards the radio.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick
Ooooh! You beat me to the punch!

Yes, that's exactly what happened to my 3pks, but I still did not glue it...yet. I just got this system a few weeks ago and have a hard time putting glue on something so new (as if it's broken). When it gets to the point where it'll hamper my driving, I'll glue it.

Great advice!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kilana

Yes, that's exactly what happened to my 3pks, but I still did not glue it...yet. I just got this system a few weeks ago and have a hard time putting glue on something so new (as if it's broken). When it gets to the point where it'll hamper my driving, I'll glue it.

Great advice!
I forgot to mention that this same thing happened to my 2.4GHz 3PM FASST, but on that one I actually glued it.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
^^
I heated the trigger up with a lighter and pulled it in a little. Fits my small finger perfectly now.
would this affect the factory end points for the brake side? or u just re-caliborate the phsical end-points?
Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kilana

Great advice!
Whether you feel it or not a loose steering foam DOES hamper your control. It may not feel like much movement but it is sliding each time your turn the wheel reducing your control. Now in the heat of racing you will get excited and start overcorrecting the turning due to the foam slipping on the wheel or you will push it in causing it to bind against the radio while you watch your car bouncing off the rails becuase you can't get it to straighten.

A couple drops of Shoe Glue, CA or servo tape solves any problem. If you really do not wish to glue the foam down then I suggest using a wrap of friction tape under the foam, that will be better than nothing.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Champion

Ok, I learned a lot painting my radio yesterday. I had the goldish/champagne colored 3PK. It was starting to show some age and the radio that Johnnyboy painted was too sweet to pass up. So I painted mine. I'll post pics tonight.

1. Don't dip the radio plastics in acetone. Although some acetone comes in a plastic bottle, it's a different grade of plastic. I was able to use fingernail polish acetone to remove paint errors with no effects. But when I soaked the module cover it softened the plastic. After the piece dried it was back to normal. But there is some pits and gouges from trying to remove the original gold coloring.

2. I found plastic paint, from Dupont I think, at a department store; Wal-Mart, Target, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc. No priming required. I don't know if it will last very long, but I will find out soon enough.

3. Make sure the parts are very clean. This paint won't stick to grease or nitro that may have landed on the radio. This is why I needed acetone in the first place, to remove what I had already sprayed. I ended up with some fisheye paint spots. The acetone easily removed the fresh paint with no ill effects to the plastic. I used a paper towel with acetone, instead of soaking the other parts.

Well I'll stop there before I bore you any more. I'll have pics up later. I just painted it white like Johnny Boy and I like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.