Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems! >

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Anyone know if the new flat cap setup (VIP6VSPCAP004) can be used on the VTX10R Black?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Need a little help please.

I'm having issues with two of my speed controls. Same issue, on both. First is a VTX1, running in a 12th scale 17.5 boosted, second is a VTX10 in a F1 21.5 blinky.

The issue is they seem to be shutting down, and then restarting after a short period(about 6 seconds). I say 'seem', but I dont think they are shutting right off, as I do not loose the steering, just no throttle. Neither one is overheating, temped one at 89 deg. f, other felt cool to the touch. Both esc's are loaded with firmware A55. Ran 3 qualies and a main with each car, and each one did not finish a run with out doing this at least once each time.

Prior to yesterday, both esc have worked good, but the VTX1 had done this one other time about a month ago. Yesterday was bad, very frustrating!! It is hard to see the lights on the speed controls with the bodies on, so I dont know if they are on or off, but I did notice that the one that is in blinky mod, after it starts working again, the 's' light is on solid, not blinking any more.

Also, just for info, my third car was fine, but it has an ORCA Spark esc.(Makes me think not a radio issue)

I tried recalibrating the radio, I reloaded the profile to each, tried reducing the pwm for the throttle, have the brake strength turned down.

Hope some one can help me solve this, I have five of these esc's, dont really want to jump ship!!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SLOWINSLOWOUT

I'm having issues with two of my speed controls. Same issue, on both. First is a VTX1, running in a 12th scale 17.5 boosted, second is a VTX10 in a F1 21.5 blinky.

The issue is they seem to be shutting down, and then restarting after a short period(about 6 seconds). I say 'seem', but I dont think they are shutting right off, as I do not loose the steering, just no throttle. Neither one is overheating, temped one at 89 deg. f, other felt cool to the touch. Both esc's are loaded with firmware A55. Ran 3 qualies and a main with each car, and each one did not finish a run with out doing this at least once each time.

Prior to yesterday, both esc have worked good, but the VTX1 had done this one other time about a month ago. Yesterday was bad, very frustrating!! It is hard to see the lights on the speed controls with the bodies on, so I dont know if they are on or off, but I did notice that the one that is in blinky mod, after it starts working again, the 's' light is on solid, not blinking any more.

Also, just for info, my third car was fine, but it has an ORCA Spark esc.(Makes me think not a radio issue)

I tried recalibrating the radio, I reloaded the profile to each, tried reducing the pwm for the throttle, have the brake strength turned down.

Hope some one can help me solve this, I have five of these esc's, dont really want to jump ship!!
shut of volt cut
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Temperature cut off setting

Hi,

The VTX1 allow me to set the temperature cut off for ESC and Motor.
But what should be a reasonable value ?

It range from 160F/71C to 270F/132C.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Whats your protection settings?. I had that problem once and I disabled the motor temp protection and the problem went away.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ongbenghui
Hi,

The VTX1 allow me to set the temperature cut off for ESC and Motor.
But what should be a reasonable value ?

It range from 160F/71C to 270F/132C.

I run 220F on the esc and I disable the motor temperature cut off. I think alot of people run it about the same.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

this is my setting for 13.5 no timing, isn't Extreme, but is very good, I'm work on this for near Italian Nats
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
13.5 no timing.pdf (240.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ophidian
I run 220F on the esc and I disable the motor temperature cut off. I think alot of people run it about the same.
220F is about 100 degree C. Hope there is not long term damage to the component of the ESC.

I don't run active cooling per say.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ongbenghui
220F is about 100 degree C. Hope there is not long term damage to the component of the ESC.

I don't run active cooling per say.

Are you running the VTX-1 in a 12th scale? What motor? For the most part something has to go horribly wrong or put too in much advance timing or gearing it too high for you do damage to your esc.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. I had sent Viper tech support an E-mail the same time I posted my issue here. They got back to me right away, asked for some more info, then came up with some possible solutions to my problems. They are leaning towards a low voltage issue causing the ecu to reset, which I concur with. They made some setting change suggestions for me to try, but before I do those, I am going to replace the bullet connectors for the battery leads. I wired both these cars with the TQ connectors, and found them to be on the loose side. All my other cars(with no issues) have the AE spring style connectors on them, so putting those on first.

One change at a time, will get it sorted. I will report back with the results.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies. I had sent Viper tech support an E-mail the same time I posted my issue here. They got back to me right away, asked for some more info, then came up with some possible solutions to my problems. They are leaning towards a low voltage issue causing the ecu to reset, which I concur with. They made some setting change suggestions for me to try, but before I do those, I am going to replace the bullet connectors for the battery leads. I wired both these cars with the TQ connectors, and found them to be on the loose side. All my other cars(with no issues) have the AE spring style connectors on them, so putting those on first.

One change at a time, will get it sorted. I will report back with the results.
Have you actually tried turning off the voltage cut?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by defcone
Have you actually tried turning off the voltage cut?
No, I haven't. And here's why. By turning off the voltage cut off at this point, it would be like putting a band aid on a severed artery. As in, just masking the problem. If it is in fact a low voltage issue, I would like to solve the cause of said low voltage. Will start with the connections, redo the solder joints, try different batteries, etc. One at a time till the issue is gone. If all else fails, I my indeed have to turn off the low voltage protection.

Thanks for your input
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is Josh running anything new at the Snowbirds?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Maybe???!!???
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Having a good time at the 'Birds, playing with a few things. Always trying experimenting with something.

Josh, has been fast in TC, having trouble keeping the tires under him a full run in TC. Smyka jumped to 4th in 17.5 1/12 and TQ in F1. Well its F1 for him, we all look like F3000 running behind him.

If you have any questions about what we are doing or running, please ask, we'll be glad to answer - what we can......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.