Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Hi, i installed the new software today, it looks good but im unable to change the boost and turbo settings when i turn the esc off then on again i find it has changed back to the factory settings of 22deg boost and 14 turbo. all the other settings work ok tho. any ideas
Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by defcone
I would say according to the readme, that the boost will kick in at the set rpm and then the turbo will come in after x amount of seconds which you set it at. Which means, you can have turbo for acceleration if you don't reach full throttle during the technical parts of the track which you race on, then have the turbo kick in during the straight in which kicks in after the x amount of seconds you have set in the programming card.

Hope that sort of makes sense.
That is how it always used to work, but why go over 30 for boost when it is added to turbo, we could just set turbo for that right?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vwvrt
Hi, i installed the new software today, it looks good but im unable to change the boost and turbo settings when i turn the esc off then on again i find it has changed back to the factory settings of 22deg boost and 14 turbo. all the other settings work ok tho. any ideas

As you can read in the provided document from the download link a few pages back, you can only change the settings with the program box, NOT with the laptop....
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rbakker
That is how it always used to work, but why go over 30 for boost when it is added to turbo, we could just set turbo for that right?

Maybe to give users the same "feeling" as with Tekin?
If Cobra didn't explain, we would have never asked, and maybe a Tekin is working exactly the same, 40 boost and 30 turbo, so you think you have 70 total dynamic timing, but actually it might also be less.....
Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M7H
Maybe to give users the same "feeling" as with Tekin?
If Cobra didn't explain, we would have never asked, and maybe a Tekin is working exactly the same, 40 boost and 30 turbo, so you think you have 70 total dynamic timing, but actually it might also be less.....
Tekin is 55 boost and 20 turbo, HW is 30 boost and 16 turbo.

The question is, why is there the possibility for 38 boost and 30 turbo and how does this works and what are the advantages?

Last edited by rbakker; 01-10-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Greyfox
Just had a look at the disc that came with the esc and it only has v1.06...100512 as an older version on it.
Do you have a link to the v1.02 from anywhere, as the Hobbywing site only has the v1.06 on there as well.
Thanks again for any help.
just sending you a PM
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

... The question is, why is there the possibility for 38 boost and 30 turbo and how does this works and what are the advantages?
The only reason that I can think off is a future update that allows 38 boost and 30 turbo at full throttle ... maybe hobbywing just wishes to test their esc further at higher levels of timing than the max of 46 to check temps etcetc.

Whilst at the track last Sunday, there were 2 other racers using the same motor but different escs (GM speedos), and 1 blew his motor and the other is on its way out (magnets were coming off the shaft and the shaft was sliding out the back of the motor ... extended about 4mm), mine only maxed at 50deg after a 5 min run. I was of course slower than them, but this could in part be due to me not being as quick, and also not having the right settings to maximise the esc and motor.

I know the extreme stock is not the fastest esc out there but I do hope they will get there and I know they will, if they continue at the current rate. They are 3-4 times cheaper than the competitors who are undoubtly faster, but it will be good if they can be as fast and still be 3 times cheaper.

On a different note, having gone through the 'additional instructions for 1224_STOCK firmware', I do not understand the example,

under #12 turbo timing,

if boost is 16deg and turbo is 30deg, why then is boost only 14deg and turbo 16deg??? Should that not be 16deg boost and 16deg turbo???
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone use V3 MOD 110105 software?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Hope Angelo is asking to Hobbywing what they mean with the numbers in the timing. Think we cann conclude that till then the 30 or above timing and 16 or above turbo , we dont know what happens.

For me it aint a problem, because with the old software i always used the max on timing 21 an turbo 8, so the new software will only be used for a little more.
By far not timing 30 and turbo 16...
But for the 17,5 drivers it maybe would be nice.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think what the HW software is doing, is the first 30 degrees uses the Boost ramp, and anything after that uses the turbo delay & turbo Ramp.

So, if you have your boost at 15 deg, then it uses the boost ramp (Punch Settings), then if your WOT, and have your turbo set to 30, it will add another 15 deg of timing to your boost. (Upto 30 deg). After that you will have your delay. Then the turbo Ramp will be used for the remainder giving your a total of 45deg (In this case).
I am confused about using 38 deg boost though (its says turbo has priority). Could be the first 30 deg using Boost ramp, and the last 8 use the turbo ramp???

I did play with the turbo ramp a bit on the weekend. Its nice not having all the turbo kick in right away, the car didnt feel like it had that "Second Gear" which makes you overshoot some corners. The turbo came on nice and smooth.

** Please dont take the above as anything other than a hunch. I have a funny feeling it has been done this way because of how the firmware was developed. So this is probably just an interm thing to keep us all happy. And happy I am.

Shawn
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
So, if you have your boost at 15 deg, then it uses the boost ramp (Punch Settings), then if your WOT, and have your turbo set to 30, it will add another 15 deg of timing to your boost. (Upto 30 deg). After that you will have your delay. Then the turbo Ramp will be used for the remainder giving your a total of 45deg (In this case).
I am confused about using 38 deg boost though (its says turbo has priority). Could be the first 30 deg using Boost ramp, and the last 8 use the turbo ramp???
Hey Shawn, what i understand from the manual, is that you have 15 timing and 30 turbo, then 15 off the turbo is given to the timing in its rpm range, unregarded off the turbo delay or wot etc.
In your or my opinion, for both ways i cant think off the bonus it will add.
All still cant be done with the normal timing an turbo settings...

So it has to be something else.

PS. Also very happy with the ESC and software, far better then Tekin..!!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
This way will also be some kind off a 3-step rocket....
But then the second stage, will be totally random for track and drive style and thus related to throttle position, so timing will be added on all kinds off rpm, this makes it possible to have to fast a increase off timing.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Setting Boost/Turbo

I have a question.
Firstly, I have set my 17.5 up with the new software & the recommended settings & it appears to be getting quite hot.

If I go back to the same settings i previously used in 508Stock for boost & turbo, Temp 170f after 5min race.

Boost Timing - 21 Deg
Turbo Timing - 8 Deg
Boost Start RPM - 6000
Boost Timing - 550rpm/Deg

Will this behave exactly the same?

And will this drop my temps to below my 508Stock profile?

From there i can either gradually increase Timing & Boost to up the power, keeping an eye on temps.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shadow5t
I have a question.
Firstly, I have set my 17.5 up with the new software & the recommended settings & it appears to be getting quite hot.

If I go back to the same settings i previously used in 508Stock for boost & turbo, Temp 170f after 5min race.

Boost Timing - 21 Deg
Turbo Timing - 8 Deg
Boost Start RPM - 6000
Boost Timing - 550rpm/Deg

Will this behave exactly the same?

And will this drop my temps to below my 508Stock profile?

From there i can either gradually increase Timing & Boost to up the power, keeping an eye on temps.
Yes, the numbers are the same between the old and new software.
I would try like you said, could you report you`re findings back here?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Shawn, what i understand from the manual, is that you have 15 timing and 30 turbo, then 15 off the turbo is given to the timing in its rpm range, unregarded off the turbo delay or wot etc.
In your or my opinion, for both ways i cant think off the bonus it will add.
All still cant be done with the normal timing an turbo settings...

So it has to be something else.

PS. Also very happy with the ESC and software, far better then Tekin..!!
I think we just said the same thing, only alittle different I honestly dont know if you have to be WOT for the turbo deg timing to become boost timing. If the throttle doesnt need to be WOT to have the extra turbo timing as boost then their is no point to having the turbo available as boost.

This last weekend was a big event for our club (actually 3 clubs got together for a big race weekend), so I didnt want to experiment with the new software to much. If I get a chance next weekend all I am going to be doing is experimenting with the new turbo/boost settings, and I will record/post all of the results that I come across. I am hoping by using even less timing in the infield, I will have more rip, and cooler motor timing, but run alot more turbo to keep the straight away speed.

Shawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.