Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson) >

How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree31Likes

How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ajj
Great thread. It's about time I got a soldering iron. Can anyone tell me if this soldering iron is 240V AC compatable, for use in Australia?
TrakPower TK-950 Soldering Station
Not sure, it appears to be the same as the team checkpoint. So that means it is a re-brand of the hakko. See if you can find info online.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Regular

Just checking back... No activity it seems... at least the forum isn't forgetting to send emails about replies again.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yea Iv'e f'd up my share in the beginning.
Iv'e been using the same $30 stick iron for 20 years, on at least my 5th tip, same can of flux too.... and I am on the 3rd 1lb roll of solder. Funny thing is people bring me their stuff to solder cause my joints are so clean.
Watch the good guys, practice, clean your tip a lot. tin tin tin

desoldering? on a simple esc post or wire just get it hot and shake it off.

nice post and thread
Old 11-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by asc6000
Yea Iv'e f'd up my share in the beginning.
Iv'e been using the same $30 stick iron for 20 years, on at least my 5th tip, same can of flux too.... and I am on the 3rd 1lb roll of solder. Funny thing is people bring me their stuff to solder cause my joints are so clean.
Watch the good guys, practice, clean your tip a lot. tin tin tin

desoldering? on a simple esc post or wire just get it hot and shake it off.

nice post and thread
Yeah... you can do a lot with even lackluster equipment if you practice and follow good technique.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Great thread...Read the whole first post by you and then jumped to the last 2 pages to catch the more recent gossip. I currently use a big ol honking thing my bro in law gave me but it workd consistently and have been happy with it since it had 3 tips i could change out. This unit was just off and on with no adjustment so i didnt have the luxury of Temp Adjustment

BUT, i finally broke down and bought the TK-950 from TrakPower(From TowerHobbies with a sale on it and my coupon allowing me to get it for $69 shipped) you guys are talking about and came in the mail yesterday and have my fiirst job for a buddy with his new Tekin RX8 esc and Tekin Pro4 motor he is slapping in his new sc10. Since the ESC has the connection right at the esc i was worried about temps but after reading this and watching Randys Vid i feel alot better and usually im not worried as im the GO-TO guy for my buddies when it comes to soldeing connectors on new batteries and esc wires!

SO ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS and what i know and learned were from my brother who was in the Air Force for years and taught me what i know so i could use it on my car stereos and have been thankful every since and just another way our ARMED FORCES have served our country and I PERSONALLY THANK YOU!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marine6680
Not sure, it appears to be the same as the team checkpoint. So that means it is a re-brand of the hakko. See if you can find info online.
It is the same. Tower killed off the Team Checkpoint name and re-branded everything Trakpower.

I still think this thread needs to be a sticky. I've never, in nearly 30 years of RC had solder joints this clean. Thank you again.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Very useful and informative post.
Hopefully I will now be able to get better connections!
I'll find out when my new connectors arrive (hopefully this week) but for now I'm off to get some flux
(I didn't know that flux cored wire wasn't any real benefit)
Cheers
Old 12-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Ok guys, I have a problem! I went to use the new 950 and even 800* it didn't seem to get hot enough so I went back and used old faithful....if the setting is on 700* should the tip be that hot if checked with a temp gun?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TCCustoms
SO ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS and what i know and learned were from my brother who was in the Air Force for years and taught me what i know so i could use it on my car stereos and have been thankful every since and just another way our ARMED FORCES have served our country and I PERSONALLY THANK YOU!
Thanks

Originally Posted by TCCustoms
Ok guys, I have a problem! I went to use the new 950 and even 800* it didn't seem to get hot enough so I went back and used old faithful....if the setting is on 700* should the tip be that hot if checked with a temp gun?
It should be pretty close, within a few degrees. What is the temp range for your temp gun? I am not sure how accurate that method will be for checking the tip temp. They have special equipment for calibrating these irons. The closer you can get the temp gun to the tip the better for accuracy though. With the error rate possible in the temp gun measurment, I would say that at 700* it should at least read over 600* It is also possible that you received a bad unit.

Originally Posted by cherokee95
It is the same. Tower killed off the Team Checkpoint name and re-branded everything Trakpower.

I still think this thread needs to be a sticky. I've never, in nearly 30 years of RC had solder joints this clean. Thank you again.
Good to know... I will update soon. (time to go eat right now)

Originally Posted by AusOffroader
Very useful and informative post.
Hopefully I will now be able to get better connections!
I'll find out when my new connectors arrive (hopefully this week) but for now I'm off to get some flux
(I didn't know that flux cored wire wasn't any real benefit)
Cheers
Glad I could help.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by marine6680
Thanks

It should be pretty close, within a few degrees. What is the temp range for your temp gun? I am not sure how accurate that method will be for checking the tip temp. They have special equipment for calibrating these irons. The closer you can get the temp gun to the tip the better for accuracy though. With the error rate possible in the temp gun measurement, I would say that at 700* it should at least read over 600* It is also possible that you received a bad unit.

Good to know... I will update soon. (time to go eat right now)

Glad I could help.
Well i have the Losi Temp Tuner screw driver and its very accurate since i have a Losi 810 buggy i use it on that and my brother in law has some industrial brand temp gun and another buddy has the Duratrax Temp gun and all run consistent with eachother ...When i got the unit up and running it just didnt seem to be getting hot enough to take the 2 tinned ends and mend them together so i got out my other (old) unit and it zipped it right together and that temped out at like 4xx*.

I am noticing now that the tip starts to have a glowing red look as i wait for it to warm up when i have it set on 650 which it didnt do when i got it but there is a calibration screw under the temp knob and i played with that to try to match the temp at 396(lowest temp on unit) to match with our temp guns since when outta the box it only showed about 250 when on the 396 setting
Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, It should read close to the set temp. If you can not get it to work, then return it for an exchange.

I am not sure what you mean by the tip getting red... thats not something I have seen.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

tip getting red means its turning cherry red and hot and didnt know if that is normal for 700-750*

But i did email TRAKPOWER last night and got a response today and said they believe it to be faulty so i will let you kno how the total experience goes since this is the first time ive dealt with them and so far im happy since it was less than 24 hrs with the first response
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah a glowing tip is bad.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:05 AM
JPG
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Confused

I'm new to soldering and am curious why so much info I find out there says to stay away from using flux and also recommends using the silver solder, when you recommend the opposite? Opinions?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

UPS says new one will be here tomorrow...So we will see how it goes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.