Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DirkW
  • 1 Post By Roelof

real battery voltage through telemetry

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 11:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default real battery voltage through telemetry

I am using sanwa electronics and allways see on telemetry 6.0 volts.
I wonder if there is any way to see the real battery voltage at the transmitter because car stops without battery and sanwa is saying 6.0 - 5.9 volts yet.
Old 05-25-2024, 01:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dieandgo
I wonder if there is any way to see the real battery voltage at the transmitter because car stops without battery and sanwa is saying 6.0 - 5.9 volts yet.
Which radio and receiver specifically? You probably won't be able to do it without an external voltage sensor.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What you see is the BEC voltage. More useful for nitro drivers, not quite so much for electric. Unless you have special electronics, it's all your receiver can see.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Which radio and receiver specifically? You probably won't be able to do it without an external voltage sensor.
with Sanwa M12 and MT4 and 461 receiver. is there any external voltage sensor to connect with this kind of receivers?
Old 05-25-2024, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I love this feature on my futaba 10px. I can see everything that my esc sees. I can see the battery voltage so I know how much charger % and run time is left on the car as well as receiver voltage, motor temp, motor rpm, esc temp so much more.

I do t know about sanwa but for my futaba 10px they make a small $30 adapter that one end plugs into my hobbywing esu and the other end plugs into the futaba receiver so I can see all the esc info on the radio

if you look at my picture I sent the larger center gauge to by the cars battery voltage.

Last edited by riceball777; 05-25-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

One way to have it, if your receiver and servo supports the battery voltage is to solder a servo cable's red and black wires to the positive and negative of your battery connector. then, disconnect the red wire (+) from your ESC wire. This way, your receiver will run out of the battery and what you'll have is the main battery voltage and not the BEC voltage. Of course, like I said, your receiver and servo must support the battery voltage so anything outside of 1s or 2s is bound not to work and may fry your receiver and servo.

Martin Paradis
Old 05-25-2024, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rhodopsine
One way to have it, if your receiver and servo supports the battery voltage is to solder a servo cable's red and black wires to the positive and negative of your battery connector. then, disconnect the red wire (+) from your ESC wire. This way, your receiver will run out of the battery and what you'll have is the main battery voltage and not the BEC voltage. Of course, like I said, your receiver and servo must support the battery voltage so anything outside of 1s or 2s is bound not to work and may fry your receiver and servo.

Martin Paradis
Plus, unlike with a BEC your servo will not have constant voltage and therefore get slower with decreasing battery voltage so your car will not handle consistently over the run.
rhodopsine likes this.
Old 05-25-2024, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DirkW
Plus, unlike with a BEC your servo will not have constant voltage and therefore get slower with decreasing battery voltage so your car will not handle consistently over the run.
Didn’t think of that but that’s true.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:39 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DirkW
Then you have to route the red wire of the servo to the red wire of the BEC/ESC.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by riceball777
I love this feature on my futaba 10px. I can see everything that my ecu sees. I can see the battery voltage so I know how much charger % and run time is left on the car as well as receiver voltage, motor temp, motor rpm, esc temp so much more.

I do t know about sanwa but for my futaba 10px they make a small $30 adapter that one end plugs into my hobbywing esu and the other end plugs into the futaba receiver so I can see all the esc info on the radio

if you look at my picture I sent the larger center gauge to by the cars battery voltage.
Nice telemetry, really useful!
Old 05-25-2024, 02:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Roelof
Then you have to route the red wire of the servo to the red wire of the BEC/ESC.
Then, make a bypass at receiver red cable from BEC directly to servo, and powering receiver directly from battery would work with any servo?

i see sanwa receivers nominal input voltaje is 4.8 to 7.4v, it will be a problem.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Then, make a bypass at receiver red cable from BEC directly to servo, and powering receiver directly from battery would work with any servo?

i see sanwa receivers nominal input voltaje is 4.8 to 7.4v, it will be a problem.
A LiPo nominal voltage is 7.4V. It'll work fine. Nitro users regularly plug a LiPo directly into the receiver.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, you could do that. A bit too much work for me if you ask, but then if battery voltage is a useful information for you, then it may be worth it.

Martin Paradis