Search
Like Tree23Likes

Field charging

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 01:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sabin
If all you're planning on doing is running the two cars once, there really is no point in having a field station at all. Charge your packs the morning of while at home, and store charge them at the end of the day.

Plug your power supply into the wall and be done with it.
ya there is a very strong point to havin a field station. so i can charge in the field and not in my house. why would i charge lipos in my house when i can charge them in the field! much safer. It eliminates the risk of catastrophe. I have neighbors around too unfortunately.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Because you'll be charging them in a fireproof battery box. Which you should be doing no matter where you are.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

FFS, why come on a forum and ask for advice if all you're going to do is ignore the advice?

Since you're so dead set on overcomplicating this, just buy one of these. It'll power your setup in a field...

https://www.northerntool.com/product...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-13-2023, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Get that gener-junk garbage out of here.

Get one of these:

Old 12-13-2023, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Or dis:

Old 12-13-2023, 03:00 PM
Tech Lord

Zerodefect likes this.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Because you'll be charging them in a fireproof battery box. Which you should be doing no matter where you are.
no if outside not no matter where you are. dont always need to charge in containment outside thats the beauty of charging outdoors. of course in a concentrated area with people at a facility like a track i would.. I agree about the contained charging but you are forgetting about the insane amount of smoke. no containment is smoke proof yet. I think thats common sense.
i wouldn't even want filtered smoke in the house. (bat-safe) Ive had it happen. you wouldn't believe how long the smell lingers. could be years depending how much.
no thanks
Old 12-15-2023, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Get that gener-junk garbage out of here.

Get one of these:
now that is a turbo!
Old 12-15-2023, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by biz77
FFS, why come on a forum and ask for advice if all you're going to do is ignore the advice?

Since you're so dead set on overcomplicating this, just buy one of these. It'll power your setup in a field...

https://www.northerntool.com/product...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
broken link no joy
and im not overcomplicating anthing, its about being less complicated and more portable, minimalistic.
and whats the big deal of multiple a/c d/c conversions? its only going back and forth once. does this
mean it stresses the system more for the same output?
Old 12-15-2023, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sn47som1
no if outside not no matter where you are. dont always need to charge in containment outside thats the beauty of charging outdoors. of course in a concentrated area with people at a facility like a track i would.. I agree about the contained charging but you are forgetting about the insane amount of smoke. no containment is smoke proof yet. I think thats common sense.
i wouldn't even want filtered smoke in the house. (bat-safe) Ive had it happen. you wouldn't believe how long the smell lingers. could be years depending how much.
no thanks
So you're telling us you're okay with charging a lipo outside with no fire plan?

You are sounding like an individual who is fine with taking dangerous and unnecessary risks. I won't be responsible for any foreseeable disasters you will have and as such, I refuse to help any longer. Sell your equipment, and save yourself a predictable disaster. This is a hobby for responsible people, and you are clearly not a responsible person.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

So you're telling us you're okay with charging a lipo outside with no fire plan?

You are sounding like an individual who is fine with taking dangerous and unnecessary risks. I won't be responsible for any foreseeable disasters you will have and as such, I refuse to help any longer. Sell your equipment, and save yourself a predictable disaster. This is a hobby for responsible people, and you are clearly not a responsible person.
you are completely wrong about me being dangerous haha. you havent helped in any way yet. you can take your giant stick out of your butt.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sn47som1
broken link no joy
and im not overcomplicating anthing, its about being less complicated and more portable, minimalistic.
and whats the big deal of multiple a/c d/c conversions? its only going back and forth once. does this
mean it stresses the system more for the same output?
It was a $60K towable 100KW diesel generator.

Figure you will lose approximately 10% for each "Step"
You would be going from the DC battery in the portable power station to AC (step 1) then from that AC power to your Mean Well power supply (step 2). The charger itself will have inefficiency taking in power from the power supply and converting to mAh going back into your batteries (step 3).

Going from the power station to the Mean Well supply to the charger means a 1,000wh battery is able to supply 1,000 * .9 = 900 * .9 = 810 * .9 = 729wh of useable capacity back into your batteries.
Going directly from a 1,000wh battery to the charger gives you 1,000 * .9 = 900wh of useable capacity back into your batteries.
sn47som1 likes this.