Like Tree53Likes

iCharger DX8

Old 10-04-2022, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy View Post
Both channels are used during a discharge session.
Also, not true. I discharge on one channel using the internal discharge capacity (about 20 amps on 1s) while charging on the other channel all the time.

DX8 should have all of this same functionality.

Originally Posted by quantum View Post
can someone please confirm this? You can use an external discharge bank (wired in-line positive lead) to discharge a pack on one channel of a duo 406, while simultaneously using the other channel to charge another pack?
Pretty explicit on page 39 of the owner's manual (Lithium Battery Extra Discharge Mode): https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...​​

gigaplex likes this.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Also, not true. I discharge on one channel using the internal discharge capacity (about 20 amps on 1s) while charging on the other channel all the time.

DX8 should have all of this same functionality.

Pretty explicit on page 39 of the owner's manual (Lithium Battery Extra Discharge Mode): https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...​​
I know that page of the manual.. So, ignoring the regenerative mode (as most use a power supply), the “extra discharge” diagram shows the external resistor bank in-line on the positive lead. That is the same diagram as in the x6 and s6 manuals as well. And we know that those chargers can discharge with an external resistor bank just fine. But those are single channel chargers.
So my question is - can you use an external resistor bank in this manner on ONE of the duo406 channels? While using a power supply.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

406 connected to PS. External resistor bank connected to one channel while battery to be discharged connected to the other channel. Works well for high amp discharge. Or you can discharge on one channel and charge on the other channel but with a lot lower discharge amp rate. The internal discharge amp rate will be dependent on what type of battery you are discharging. Pretty robust system. The 406 is by far the longest charger I have ever used continuously as I have never needed it to do something it couldn’t. People did purchase the newer chargers, but mostly for the smaller form factor. Not for a lack of functionality.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quantum View Post
I know that page of the manual.. So, ignoring the regenerative mode (as most use a power supply), the “extra discharge” diagram shows the external resistor bank in-line on the positive lead. That is the same diagram as in the x6 and s6 manuals as well. And we know that those chargers can discharge with an external resistor bank just fine. But those are single channel chargers.
So my question is - can you use an external resistor bank in this manner on ONE of the duo406 channels? While using a power supply.
Yes. That page literally shows exactly that.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

You can lead a horse to water...

Why do people have such a hard time believing that Junsi would put the same capability on their larger, more expensive chargers? The reason most people don't do it that way is it isn't as elegant of a solution on the DUO models. Discharging to the other channel is much easier and allows you to retain functionality like cycling without removing the discharge bank.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
You can lead a horse to water...

Why do people have such a hard time believing that Junsi would put the same capability on their larger, more expensive chargers? The reason most people don't do it that way is it isn't as elegant of a solution on the DUO models. Discharging to the other channel is much easier and allows you to retain functionality like cycling without removing the discharge bank.
I can see why Quantum is skeptical about this feature, from what I gathered, he wants to know if he can do high amp discharge with a resister inline with the battery on one channel while charging another pack on the other channel. From the manual, it seems like if you enable extra discharge mode you can use a resister inline to perform high amp discharge on the channel so theoretically the DX8 should be able to do high amp discharge with 1 channel and charge with the other. But I have never seen/heard anyone do that with any of the old DUO chargers before.

Maybe as you said, you can easily have the one channel discharge into the other so the extra discharge mode isnt needed. But some people might have different needs/are on a time crunch and want/need to do both high amp discharge and charge at the same time. I guess Quantum can be the first to try and public report back if it works or not.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post
I can see why Quantum is skeptical about this feature, from what I gathered, he wants to know if he can do high amp discharge with a resister inline with the battery on one channel while charging another pack on the other channel. From the manual, it seems like if you enable extra discharge mode you can use a resister inline to perform high amp discharge on the channel so theoretically the DX8 should be able to do high amp discharge with 1 channel and charge with the other. But I have never seen/heard anyone do that with any of the old DUO chargers before.

Maybe as you said, you can easily have the one channel discharge into the other so the extra discharge mode isnt needed. But some people might have different needs/are on a time crunch and want/need to do both high amp discharge and charge at the same time. I guess Quantum can be the first to try and public report back if it works or not.
I mean, it's literally explained right there in the manual that it can be done and how to do it.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kahuna2793 View Post
I’m with you waiting for the dx6 hopefully sooner than later.
DX6 now available at Progressive. Mine arrives next week. Checked with BuddyRC ( local to me ) and they are 30-45 days out.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

wtf? I was waiting and waiting and waiting and decided to go with the ISDT P3 and ordered it at midnight... LOL

I went to the website and didn't see anything...Can you provide me with some of the specss?
Old 10-15-2022, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by eeng168 View Post
wtf? I was waiting and waiting and waiting and decided to go with the ISDT P3 and ordered it at midnight... LOL

I went to the website and didn't see anything...Can you provide me with some of the specss?
Same features as DX8, just lower wattages/amperages.

https://www.progressiverc.com/collec...s/icharger-dx6
eeng168 likes this.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blueflagger View Post
Same features as DX8, just lower wattages/amperages.

https://www.progressiverc.com/collec...s/icharger-dx6

I was expecting the DX6 to have 40 amps, but to increase only 2 amps to 32?!? *shrug*
Old 10-17-2022, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by eeng168 View Post
I was expecting the DX6 to have 40 amps, but to increase only 2 amps to 32?!? *shrug*
From the Progressive RC website: X6 = 30A, X8 = 30A, DX6 = 32A, DX8 = 30A

Since the DX6 is positioned as the dual version of the X6, I'm happy to see that 2A bump ... the 10W bump over the X6 for internal discharging is also welcome.

The lack of a charge amp increase for the DX8 is the puzzler.

For reference the S6 = 40a and the X12 = 30A.
quantum and gigaplex like this.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Outputs is XT60 right ?
Old 10-19-2022, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Glencoe View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but the Outputs is XT60 right ?
See post #65 and 66.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:42 AM
Tech Rookie

I’m curious can it charge at 50 amp?!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.