Like Tree74Likes

Picking a new ESC

Old 06-27-2020, 11:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Picking a new ESC

I'm getting back into rc racing, and I'm starting back with a TLR 22 5.0. I'm trying to pick a new ESC, and having a hard time choosing. I use to race Novak ESC, but they are sadly gone. I've been looking at Castle Creations Mamba X, or Tekin RS GEN 3. Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:14 AM
Tech Adept

In my eyes there is only one to purchase at the moment, Hobbywing
Old 06-28-2020, 01:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

With no expense spared Most popular and most probably would consider the hobbywing xr10 g2 160a to be the best.
billdelong, Rcdad42 and JESSEAD82 like this.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

I have grown to trust and appreciate HobbyWing personally, they are one of the most well regarded brands in my area.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Castle is not for racing and Tekin is preferred by those who don’t know any better. The HOBBYWING XR10Pro G2 is the “standard” top of the line HW for 1/10 competition. If you want something that is faster on the clock check out the XSC150P from a company called PRO PERFORMANCE RC. I have run nearly every esc available on the market these days and the XSC150P is my preference. The difference in power output and drivability over the HW is extremely noticeable and the tuning support and after sales service is second to none.
Rcdad42 and JESSEAD82 like this.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Please explain why the Tekin is not good and why Hobbywing is better.

The poster does not explain if they are looking for mod or spec, but I am still curious.

What makes the model you are recommending better?

I have several Hobbywing XR10pro G2's and Tekins. I have my preference but please educate me on your findings.
JatoTheRipper and JESSEAD82 like this.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ryan391 View Post
Please explain why the Tekin is not good and why Hobbywing is better.

The poster does not explain if they are looking for mod or spec, but I am still curious.

What makes the model you are recommending better?

I have several Hobbywing XR10pro G2's and Tekins. I have my preference but please educate me on your findings.
Sorry about that. I should have stated that I'm going to be going with a 17.5T motor to start with. The local track I'm going to be racing is and indoor clay track, and has a lot of twist, and turns. The straight is not very long, so I don't see a need for anything faster. The only 2wd buggy class they have currently is open mod though. Side note: it has been 20 yrs since I last raced. Thanks for all the info so far, but I am curious why Tekin is not any good for racing. Back when I was in, Novak, and Tekin were the tops.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JESSEAD82 View Post
Sorry about that. I should have stated that I'm going to be going with a 17.5T motor to start with. The local track I'm going to be racing is and indoor clay track, and has a lot of twist, and turns. The straight is not very long, so I don't see a need for anything faster. The only 2wd buggy class they have currently is open mod though. Side note: it has been 20 yrs since I last raced. Thanks for all the info so far, but I am curious why Tekin is not any good for racing. Back when I was in, Novak, and Tekin were the tops.
Just my 2¢. There is nothing wrong with Tekin. They make great, though expensive ESC's. HW got popular because they were reliable, cheap and could keep up with some of the best on the market. They also I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) make a lot of the components that go into name brand ESC's. They targeted the market that wasn't really being catered to. The budget racer. This seemed to work for them as now they have grown to a name brand and have offerings to fit all budgets. I would compare Tekin to Apple and HW to Android. They both do the same thing but one is cheaper for the same if not better quality AND performance. With Tekin I think a lot of what you are paying for is the name and the legacy. Just like with Apple.

I use speed passion but when they went out of business I started switching to HW. Most of my cars have HW XR10 Pros or Just Stocks now. For 10th club racing blinky you cant beat the HW Just Stock at about $50. If all you are running is 17.5 you should be able to get away with the JS but get the XR10 if you ever feel you may upgrade motors. Punch will be better either way as the JS is only 60A and the XR10 is 120-160A depending on which model you get.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

I have the justock 60a/17.5 combo. You can get it and the program card for less than $150. Free software download. Leaves a lot of money for a quality radio and steering servo. Which in my mind is equally important. A fast radio and servo.. is a tremendous difference maker for race results. Don't skimp on these. Plan on at least $300 for a good radio and servo.
Justock 17.5 combo
BMOW71 and JESSEAD82 like this.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tekin is a great company (an American company btw..), they support race events across the nation and they have some of the best customer service in the industry. Shop accordingly to your race needs, buy an esc that can handle a mod motor if you plan to go that route eventually.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

I have had great performance from Tekin. They supposedly have the most efficient circuitry. I feel they are a step up from Hobbywing. I will agree Hobbywing has some very economical offerings. I think reliability is hit or miss though. I have had several stop working in the middle of a lap for no reason. I went with the XR10 Pro G2 for the reverse polarity protection. I have burnt up my share of ESC's as well.

I am curious as to why someone says one esc is better than another. I asked a true Pro Driver this yesterday. He was comparing braking and some other specific adjustments. I can see what he is saying but at my level not something that is going to make me better. But he has real reasons why one is better. I wanted to know why Losiracer12 had said that. Not to bash him, just to learn.

I am going to stick with Tekin for now. I like the hotwire settings. I like the feel of the car and the setting I have on it. I have not been able to mimic the same punch and brakes on the hobbywing. I have a box for Hobbywing too. It is easy enough to use as well.
i really like the way the posts are setup to connect the wires. It makes it very easy to mount and run wires in my TC car. In addition, the single cap they provide is out of the way and proven to be very efficient. Hobbywings especially the G2 is a pain in tight spaces.

My only gripe about tekin is the on and off switch. I wish it were onboard. I have heard others removing this, but I have not as of yet

JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

I like Tekin all the way.. I race alot ..Ive run tekin for many many years . hated when tekin went away .. but they came back.. love the brushed esc and still run the brushless esc..
Tekin over Hobbywing( USA all the way)
Andy Koback and JESSEAD82 like this.

Last edited by the rc guy; 06-28-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losiracer12 View Post
Castle is not for racing and Tekin is preferred by those who don’t know any better. The HOBBYWING XR10Pro G2 is the “standard” top of the line HW for 1/10 competition. If you want something that is faster on the clock check out the XSC150P from a company called PRO PERFORMANCE RC. I have run nearly every esc available on the market these days and the XSC150P is my preference. The difference in power output and drivability over the HW is extremely noticeable and the tuning support and after sales service is second to none.
Do you have to make every thread into a Pro Performance advert?
JatoTheRipper, Ominex and Bry195 like this.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Do you have to make every thread into a Pro Performance advert?
Agree, i just dont get how he or they can claim to be faster over the competition, the driver makes the most difference
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:52 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Ran all the different brands. Used to run Tekin exclusively but switched over and sold them all. Tekin escs are less reliable for me. I now run primarily Hobbywing.
Rcdad42 and JESSEAD82 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.