Like Tree74Likes

Picking a new ESC

Old 06-29-2020, 01:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hobbywing is probably the pinnacle of ESC's right now, Theres always someone who has issues with tekin locally, those same people also say tekins customer support is good - sure it is but why is it needed? i would much rather have a reliable product than have to worry about "downtime" waiting for a new esc, tekin are who they are because of sponsoring drivers, the same as novak was but wheres novak now?
JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:18 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonsterJuice View Post
Hobbywing is probably the pinnacle of ESC's right now, Theres always someone who has issues with tekin locally, those same people also say tekins customer support is good - sure it is but why is it needed? i would much rather have a reliable product than have to worry about "downtime" waiting for a new esc, tekin are who they are because of sponsoring drivers, the same as novak was but wheres novak now?
Exactly. Sure, people will always rave Tekin has good customer support. But I've never had any problems with any ESCs until I ran Tekin. My main beef was they didn't bother fixing my ESCs for issues beyond my control. Their service form has a price list or trade-in cost and they just make you go thru that instead. So basically they aren't losing any money when you pay that cost, but you wouldn't have to do that if you didn't have any problems with the ESC in the first place.

Now....to be fair, that was ages ago, maybe their products are more reliable now. I treat all my ESCs the same. I've never had to deal with customer service from Hobbywing, Castle, or Speed Passion. I did email Orca once to fix a ESC that I did reverse polarity on, but that was entirely my fault. I'm all for supporting an american product, but I expect quality.
Rcdad42 and JESSEAD82 like this.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

In all seriousness. What is it that makes these better? What class do are you using them in? How has the use of this ESC changed you from a midpack to a front pack racer? I am looking for that magic bullet. If this ESC is it. Sign me up, but I want to know what am I missing? I have never heard of this brand or seen them. Where do you even buy them?

JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

https://pro-performancerc.com/?product=xsc150p-esc

Each esc will be setup slightly different than others, and that can improve a driver's speed if it's set the way they race. If i had to guess what makes it different/ better. It would be that pro has focused on lowering the heat/ ir of the esc, so it packs more of a continued punch. Spec wise, it doesn't seem much different than a xr10.
JESSEAD82 likes this.

Last edited by Rcdad42; 06-29-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Guys keep this discussion clean and cordial. If you're going to resort to personal attacks you may well find moderator staff are more than happy to sit you in the time out box for a while.

Remember, toy cars.......
JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

The Magic bullet is track time. You can buy esc right thru pro performance...
JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

...oh and I use the R1 V3 ESC

I tried Tekin, what a red hot piece of s... that was, felt like the car had a 2kg weight on the back of it in their blinky mode.

Hobbywing, yeah lots of people like them very popular I just liked the R1's data logging interface on android better although it needs the wifi module installed to log, did use the Maclan for the logging and onboard USB host but the interface was limited and connection via usb was a bit temperamental.
JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
...oh and I use the R1 V3 ESC

I tried Tekin, what a red hot piece of s... that was, felt like the car had a 2kg weight on the back of it in their blinky mode.

Hobbywing, yeah lots of people like them very popular I just liked the R1's data logging interface on android better although it needs the wifi module installed to log, did use the Maclan for the logging and onboard USB host but the interface was limited and connection via usb was a bit temperamental.
I used the R1 V3 ESC for a short time. It was a fantastic ESC... for a couple of months. The BEC died on it randomly while I was up on the drivers stand. It was replaced under warranty, but it took a while and I switched ESCs in the mean time. I still should test if the replacement does work.
JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rcdad42 View Post

Each esc will be setup slightly different than others, and that can improve a driver's speed if it's set the way they race. If i had to guess oc what makes it different/ better. It would be that pro has focused on lowering the heat/ ir of the esc, so it packs more of a continued punch. Spec wise, it doesn't seem much different than a xr10.
That ESC looks like a ZTW OEM. If it behaves anything like my Team Powers Radon V4 (also ZTW OEM) it should perform very well.
JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

you only have a few variables that an RC esc manages. Because most escs have so little going on hardware failures should be very minimal. but are they? Most electronics fail from over temp, exceeding shock specifications for the electronics and in some cases bad assembly. Coming from a MFG and starting out as the guy taking calls from customers that couldnt make it do what it does I can say that if you are buying from a reputable mfg that when a tech at the MFG gets a call he has everyone go through the basics. Because when you sell 1000’s of a product you get a feel for how good the devices are and 90% of the time its user error. its more expensive to repair a product than to just replace it after you add the cost of educating the user on what they did wrong.

Logging is great if you can do something with it but im glad its available. I think that what people see as a difference from a driving perspective is obviously if the product is trouble free. I think the thing that distinguishes hobbywing on some of their products is being able to shape the acceleration and deceleration rates of powerful motors in stages.
Rcdad42 and JESSEAD82 like this.

Last edited by Bry195; 06-30-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
That ESC looks like a ZTW OEM. If it behaves anything like my Team Powers Radon V4 (also ZTW OEM) it should perform very well.
A few here run the Radon ESC, and when I was a Team Powers 'supported driver' I tried a V3 and found for outdoor asphalt it was poorly sealed, so dust and dirt etc very easily got into the case, under the pcb etc and that created issues which they then refused to warranty.
I know Dalts who was also a supported driver over here went through 5 V3 esc's in a 6 month period before giving up on them and going to Hobbywing which he hasn't had an issue with

So I learnt my lesson, and stopped using their ESC's and then their motors (Saw a few V3 Actiniums with stator shorts) etc. Can't promote a product you can't have faith in to last a race.
JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
A few here run the Radon ESC, and when I was a Team Powers 'supported driver' I tried a V3 and found for outdoor asphalt it was poorly sealed, so dust and dirt etc very easily got into the case, under the pcb etc and that created issues which they then refused to warranty.
I know Dalts who was also a supported driver over here went through 5 V3 esc's in a 6 month period before giving up on them and going to Hobbywing which he hasn't had an issue with

So I learnt my lesson, and stopped using their ESC's and then their motors (Saw a few V3 Actiniums with stator shorts) etc. Can't promote a product you can't have faith in to last a race.
I haven't had any issues with my V4 ESC, touch wood. I've got a backup Hobbywing G2 and that R1 V3 just in case anyway.

I have had a defective V3 Actinium motor, the stator laminations had gaps. But the replacement was good and performs well. They do seem to have some QA issues.
JESSEAD82 likes this.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

I was being sarcastic with the magic bullet comment. I know track time is what makes you better. But Losiracer said he went from middle of the pack to winning by changing his esc.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rcdad42 View Post

Each esc will be setup slightly different than others, and that can improve a driver's speed if it's set the way they race. If i had to guess what makes it different/ better. It would be that pro has focused on lowering the heat/ ir of the esc, so it packs more of a continued punch. Spec wise, it doesn't seem much different than a xr10.
does it come with a program box can't find it on the sight or do you program on the computer like the tekin
Old 06-30-2020, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's good to see HobbyWing getting so much love in this thread. I've been an advocate of them for years and people used to laugh at me. They deserve the credit they are getting. Their stuff just works and it's very reliable. They even made a huge splash in the crawling world.

Tekin is also great. Personally I've never had any of their ESC's or motors fail. And the customer service is second to none. Also it's an American company which should get much more weight than it does.

Originally Posted by Losiracer12 View Post
Castle is not for racing and Tekin is preferred by those who don’t know any better. The HOBBYWING XR10Pro G2 is the “standard” top of the line HW for 1/10 competition. If you want something that is faster on the clock check out the XSC150P from a company called PRO PERFORMANCE RC. I have run nearly every esc available on the market these days and the XSC150P is my preference. The difference in power output and drivability over the HW is extremely noticeable and the tuning support and after sales service is second to none.
WHO? Too many other good, reliable brands to take a gamble on something with a name like "Pro Performance" IMO.
JESSEAD82 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.