Help choosing a charger

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jammnjeff

Help choosing a charger

Old 05-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Help choosing a charger

Hi! Iím getting a bit confused regarding a charger purchase, I will be running SMC 5200mah 2S Lipos, I have 4 of them, ideally what I would like is whatever charges them the fastest. Which seems like that would be whatever has the highest wattage; but Iím not necessarily interested in a DC charger with a power supply and external discharger. I may race the car once a month or so, but most of my driving will be in the yard so I just want to be able to safely and efficiently charge these batteries ideally more than one at a time.

I havenít had an RC since my TC3 and we didnít have Lipos then so it was just the basic charge and a light strip to discharge.

do I really need a $400 charger setup? Or will a cheaper give me what Iím after if hi-amp cycling isnít really a concern to me? Mostly my needs are quick charging (tho with these new batteries I have no idea what to expect for a charge time) something that can discharge and has a storage mode and can balance charge.

thanks in advance!
Old 05-20-2020, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

go with this love mine
https://www.getfpv.com/hota-d6-300w-...ischarger.html
rustyus likes this.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jammnjeff View Post
go with this love mine
how long to full charge a 2s from storage? Also does it have a storage mode I couldnít find that one that link. Thanks for the recommendation
Old 05-20-2020, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

35 minutes for charge has storage also this is a dual charger
Old 05-21-2020, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

Welcome to this forum. Did you know that this -as any other- forum has a search function? With many users ans milions of posts you should imagine your question is already asked a 1000 times, and now 1001....

A topic to start with: Charger question
And follow the link in the last post.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

If you want to charge all 4 packs at 1C, this can be done with a parallel board and single port charger, but you would need a charger that is capable of 4 x 5.2Ah = 20.8A x 8.4V = 175W

This would take roughly 1 hour to charge the packs, some other options worth considering here:
Old 05-24-2020, 11:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Before this thread was started, if I do a search in Radio and Electronics forum, and I typed in "help with choosing a charger"...the newest post/thread that shows up is about how to solder correctly. The next newest thread in the search is "Recommendations for battery charger" ...that's from two years ago. A lot can happen in two years. Great products are popping up all the time.

I like the charger that jammnjeff suggested. I seen a deal on a Hota D6 dual charger and jumped on it. Mine is basically the DC version of the suggested Hota D6+, and I really like it. If I wanted an AC/DC dual charger, and didn't need gobs of power, the Hota D6+ would be my first choice. Everyone has different needs, and thoughts on LiPo safety. I personally charge my LiPo packs at a 2C rate most days. This 2C charging rate gives me a fully charged pack in about 30 minutes. I don't have, or plan to use 6S LiPo packs. If I did, then I'd have to reevaluate my charging power needs.

Speaking of power needs...https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/chargercalc.html