CloudLaps, A decoderless solution for laptiming >

CloudLaps, A decoderless solution for laptiming

Like Tree11Likes

CloudLaps, A decoderless solution for laptiming

Old 02-10-2020, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Default CloudLaps, A decoderless solution for laptiming

Dear All,

Allow me to introduce you this new Lap timing solution. Designed, manufactured tested and supported in Europe. The basic idea was to create a transponder ,that require no expensive decoders, thus bringing the lap timing as an opportunity to a lot broader audience,either as a backyard bashing, or as a pro racer's accessory. Also capable of hosting complete races with sector times, and printouts.
It works with magnetic field detection, and there are 2 variants currently. One, the basic model is capable of reading lap times, the Pro variant can read up to 9 sector times as well. Works though Wifi, so the "decoder" is your smartphone, or your wifi router, depends on the transmission's range that is required. The software is cloud based, so you can access it anywhere with a solid internet connection, may that be out in the field, or in town.

For more information, check out our website, or ask any question, that you might have here.

Norbert from CloudLaps.
mushroomed likes this.

Last edited by mikeylama; 02-11-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:56 PM
Tech Lord

Not to tear you down but...

1) Most tracks have an AMB system and most racers have a personal transponder which is worldwide accepted.
2) Mabe something for personal training for those who have no 24/7 AMB system online
3) I read of the thickness of the magnetical tape, that could be dangerous with onroad racing, when hitting the tape and so launched in he air.
4) the tape is 3 meter long, most onroad tracks are 4 to 6 meter wide....
5) Nice to have sector times, how does it see the sectors and how does it know where to start? What happens when it misses a tape?

Old 02-10-2020, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This looks cool especially the idea of being able to cheaply and easily add sector split times. For indoor tracks it could be possible to build a strip into the the underside of a jump takeoff or other track features too. From the look of this system it would be no problem to just run more tape if needed to cover the track width.

For me personally, many of the situations where I'd want to use this for practice would be without internet access on outdoor tracks. Would be great to have a way to use this without an internet connection.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mushroomed View Post
This looks cool especially the idea of being able to cheaply and easily add sector split times. For indoor tracks it could be possible to build a strip into the the underside of a jump takeoff or other track features too. From the look of this system it would be no problem to just run more tape if needed to cover the track width.

For me personally, many of the situations where I'd want to use this for practice would be without internet access on outdoor tracks. Would be great to have a way to use this without an internet connection.
i think he was saying you could use your phone maybe using the WiFi tether ? Itís definitely interesting for the practice aspect or maybe for mini z ?
Old 02-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Thatís pretty interesting. I assume the magnet excites some coils and depending on the sequence they are excited determines the zones.
Something like a magnet with 3 polarities and 3 coils. 1 bit for direction. I know the math isnt perfect but Iíll bet it something like that.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rrb1399 View Post
i think he was saying you could use your phone maybe using the WiFi tether ? Itís definitely interesting for the practice aspect or maybe for mini z ?
I canít figure out the size of the transponder looks bit large for MiniZ.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:19 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I canít figure out the size of the transponder looks bit large for MiniZ.
Look on their website, a picture and dimensions are listed and indeed I think too large for Mini-Z but I think the IR lapcounters are perfect for Mini-Z
Old 02-11-2020, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

Dear All,

Allow me to address all the questions, one by one:
Roelof :
I'm especially happy, that you answered, you seems like to have a nice reputation across here. so:
1: Yes, you are correct. We are racers ourselves, have multiple AMB transponders ourselves. What we don't have, is a 3000 euro decoder, and a 600 euro software, with what I can go to my local track, and do a practice session, and measure, what driving technique, and what setup change can give me more tenth on the track. Furthermore, there are lots of smaller club, or community tracks, that simply can not afford to buy a decoder and software package for their track, as it is the case over here, in Hungary as well. Also, if you are a basher, and say, you buy a UDR, or a Revo, or any other car, those cost substantial amount of money. If you're interested in, that which of your buddies doing your backyard lap faster,then this is a cheap way to measure accurate time. Our real world testing revealed, that the transponder's accuracy are within 1ms, so in that perspective, this system is on par with the top dogs.
2: Yes, this is one of our main area, to reach out to those racers, who have no access to an AMB system, like I wrote above. Additionally, this software can run full and complete races as well, with audio, sector times, and printouts alike, so it is also capable of doing complete race days.
3: The thickness of the tape is 1.5mm, that is suitable for onroad racing. we made extensive testing over here in Hungary, on both tarmac tracks, and carpet alike. On Carpet, you just simply have to lay the strips under the carpet, and the biggest challenge is to remember, where you put them, because they are so thin, they absolutely vanish under the carpet . On tarmac, if you following our suggestion to duct ape the strip, then there is absolutely no drawback, no car bounce nothing that we could notice during the testing phase of the system.
4: The tape can be cut to any size, if you have a huge 1/5 track with a 10m corner, that also can be accommodated.
5: The detection of sector vs finish line is actually one of the few proprietary information, that I'm not allowed to disclose at this time If you miss a sector time, because let's say, you get out of the track at the tape, then at the next sector time, your time will be added. If you get out of shape at the finish line, then it is Business as usual, because no lap timing device would get your time anyways.

mushroomed :
Yes, you get the picture fairly accurate .
On the internet thing: the web app can run on a smartphone, these days everyone has them, and the internet coverage is fairly universal throughout the developed countries. If you don't have a smartphone, or wifi at the track, a 20 usd GSM extender can be used. It is one of the particularities, that this system needs to have internet connection to the cloud, in order to register the lap times.

rrb1399 Billy Kelly
The size of the unit is 24x16x3mm to what I'd say, can be accommodate in a mini-Z as well, but if you give us a chassis type, we'll see if we can find it, and try to fit it in.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikeylama View Post
Dear All,

Allow me to address all the questions, one by one:
Roelof :
I'm especially happy, that you answered, you seems like to have a nice reputation across here. so:
1: Yes, you are correct. We are racers ourselves, have multiple AMB transponders ourselves. What we don't have, is a 3000 euro decoder, and a 600 euro software, with what I can go to my local track, and do a practice session, and measure, what driving technique, and what setup change can give me more tenth on the track. Furthermore, there are lots of smaller club, or community tracks, that simply can not afford to buy a decoder and software package for their track, as it is the case over here, in Hungary as well. Also, if you are a basher, and say, you buy a UDR, or a Revo, or any other car, those cost substantial amount of money. If you're interested in, that which of your buddies doing your backyard lap faster,then this is a cheap way to measure accurate time. Our real world testing revealed, that the transponder's accuracy are within 1ms, so in that perspective, this system is on par with the top dogs.
2: Yes, this is one of our main area, to reach out to those racers, who have no access to an AMB system, like I wrote above. Additionally, this software can run full and complete races as well, with audio, sector times, and printouts alike, so it is also capable of doing complete race days.
3: The thickness of the tape is 1.5mm, that is suitable for onroad racing. we made extensive testing over here in Hungary, on both tarmac tracks, and carpet alike. On Carpet, you just simply have to lay the strips under the carpet, and the biggest challenge is to remember, where you put them, because they are so thin, they absolutely vanish under the carpet . On tarmac, if you following our suggestion to duct ape the strip, then there is absolutely no drawback, no car bounce nothing that we could notice during the testing phase of the system.
4: The tape can be cut to any size, if you have a huge 1/5 track with a 10m corner, that also can be accommodated.
5: The detection of sector vs finish line is actually one of the few proprietary information, that I'm not allowed to disclose at this time If you miss a sector time, because let's say, you get out of the track at the tape, then at the next sector time, your time will be added. If you get out of shape at the finish line, then it is Business as usual, because no lap timing device would get your time anyways.

mushroomed :
Yes, you get the picture fairly accurate .
On the internet thing: the web app can run on a smartphone, these days everyone has them, and the internet coverage is fairly universal throughout the developed countries. If you don't have a smartphone, or wifi at the track, a 20 usd GSM extender can be used. It is one of the particularities, that this system needs to have internet connection to the cloud, in order to register the lap times.

rrb1399 Billy Kelly
The size of the unit is 24x16x3mm to what I'd say, can be accommodate in a mini-Z as well, but if you give us a chassis type, we'll see if we can find it, and try to fit it in.
So the target audience is for practice timing? How will this help clubs that can't afford race timing software and don't have access to reliable internet?
​​​
Old 02-11-2020, 02:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
So the target audience is for practice timing? How will this help clubs that can't afford race timing software?
Perhaps I did not used the right words, sorry about that. Everyone is our target audience, since the software is capable of organizing full on races, that could help clubs without a lap timing system, because we offer a full package, software, and hardware included.Those individuals, who are a member of a club that has a lap timing device can use this as a practice aid. Those clubs, that have no means of lap timing, they can use this as a complete ( and cheap) solution, distributing the expenses among themselves,hence there is no need for a rather large investment.
What we don't want, and frankly, can't do, is to compete with the large, already established lap timing systems, because realistically those, who has that system, will never replace it. We are looking to fulfill those needs, who'd like to have a cheap lap timing system outside the organized races, may that be a backyard basher, or a full on racer.
All in all, either one racer, or a complete club can use this system without entry restrictions, providing that everyone has one of these transponders.
Hope that helped

Norbert.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've just checked the website, there's a 60 euro fee per device per year. If a club has 10 transponders, that's 600 euro per year right there, there's no savings over something like Livetime.
mrreet2001 and mushroomed like this.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mikeylama View Post
I can not tell but the square shape on top of the transponder could be a GPS receiver. If I am right then it is clear how start/finish and sector lines are detected. And if it is GPS then there is a feature you can add above AMB, that is showing your race lines.

Regarding the tape the website says 3 meter, that is confusing, maybe a price per meter and/or a complete roll of x meters is a better choice to show.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

You are right about the tape, we will adjust the website, because it could be misleading.
About the GPS signal, the current available GPS units have the accuracy of roughly 1m, proving absolutely unusable for drawing your lines on the track, especially, if 10 cm in a curve can mean a good lap time at the front of the heat, or a bad lap at the back.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
I've just checked the website, there's a 60 euro fee per device per year. If a club has 10 transponders, that's 600 euro per year right there, there's no savings over something like Livetime.
Yes, you are right, that is an early version of the licensing plans. We do plan to bring the licensing fee down to half, and introduce quarter, and half ( seasonal ) licenses as well, making this truly competitive. If you have your license, you have access to the software, and all of it's features. Also, if there is a club, where this system is used, that means, that the racers purchased it, hence, it is an individual fee of around 6 eur per month per person, and not a one off 600 euro for the organizer. This is where we can offer a different solution, than the current market.
Roelof
After some clarification, I can actually tell you the technology, and I personally find it genius.
Finish and sector times are distinguished by flipping the magnetic tape From negative, to positive side . No extra tape needed for different tasks, however this requires some attention to detail, because if you lay down 2 finish side, and 2 sector tape side, that would cause some issues.
Roelof and mushroomed like this.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I’ve already got a timing system for MiniZ. But if interested this is the size of a standard MiniZ transponder

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.