• 4 Post By Mahjik
  • 2 Post By billdelong
  • 1 Post By Losiracer12

Response time

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 03:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Response time

Hey everyone, been a while since I've posted here.
Im buying a new radio cause my DX4S decided to finally die on me a few weeks ago and I was really keen on the Futaba 7px. But then I noticed that all the pros in the 1/10 onroad euro series are using sanwa radios and I wondered why and apparently the sanwas response time is faster and more direct. Is there any truth to this?
cheers a heap!
Old 11-19-2019, 03:46 AM
Tech Lord

Sanwa is given to many toplevel racers as a sponsoring. And because many drivers want to have the same equipment as their idols they also use Sanwa. Futaba is with the RC car racing not well presented with many sponsored drivers and so not much choosen by users.

Over here there are people who say Sanwa feels more direct compared with Futaba, I doubt that. At a certain level you will think what you want to feel, but maybe they are right. Although It is a fact that Sanwa is overhyped. Both Sanwa and Futaba for sure will be better compared with your Spektrum, for sure when using the SSR/SR mode with matching servo's..
Grizzbob likes this.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not entirely convinced that response time as most people are thinking is as much of a differentiation as it might appear (at a certain level). I'm not suggesting to forget all the stats and just buy cheap stuff, but I wouldn't let those be the deciding factor. I believe some companies have more money to spend for sponsorship so you'll see more of a brand because who doesn't want free equipment. However, it still has to be decent as they aren't going to use junk but other equipment will be just as good. For example Dakotah Phend races using a Spektrum DX6R and it's not slowing him down. Many people are finding the Flysky Noble NB4 to be just as good as more expensive options:

Help me pick a radio.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I love my futaba 7px and I run it with the SR (super response) reciever in sr mode with a compatible futaba sr servo set to sr mode and it feels instant to me in terms of response time.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

There's about a $200 dollar difference in price of the radios, although you'll make that up buying the Sanwa receivers.
Is the Sanwa M17 over-hyped? I don't think so. As their flagship transmitter it will have the fastest response times and most tuneability.
Does that Make the Futaba inferior? Doubtful you'd notice a difference.
Find the one that fits and feels best for you. For me, it was Sanwa. This after many happy years with a Futaba 4PLS.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I recently switched from 7px to the m17 after my 7px developed potentiometer issues and erratic steering. The m17 feels more connected and running now with Pro Performance servos and couldn’t be happier with my equipment

Last edited by Losiracer12; 11-19-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I did my best to drink to the Sanwa Kool Aid recently, my lap times and consistency remained the same as compared to my Graupner X-8E... ironically the response rate was too fast and I had to dial back servo speed just like I have been dialing back the servo speed on my X-8E. I had bought a used M12S while I was waiting for a replacement steering drop down for my X-8E... I had every intention to make the switch but my frustrations quickly grew when it came to using Sanwa's "jog wheel", it was very clumsy and impractical to make changes to my radio settings where I was missing the color touch screen on my X-8E to quickly navigate with just a couple presses to switch model memories and make minor adjustments to my steering speed which I use after almost every race to account for tire wear.

To me the response rate is insignificant, but ease of use was far more important... I would borrow both radios you are considering and play around with a couple new model memories to see which system is easier for you to navigate and manage. I probably won't use another system without a touch screen again as my personal preference
Grizzbob and Mahjik like this.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Response rate and transit speed is two entirely different things not to be confused. The faster the response rate the more connected to the vehicle picking up micro movements and responding to your input at a more real time rate. Transit speed is point a to point b time
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Going from a Spectrum DX4S to a current top level radio from Futaba/KO/Sanwa will probably be a very noticeable difference.

I believe this is more pronounced in the smaller the track or faster class (1/12th as example). At least I noticed a difference in SR mode on my 7PX in 1/12 and running on a a tighter, technical track. Slower class and large track with sweeping turns, maybe not so much.

As radios get faster, I think there is a point of diminishing returns (maybe we are already there.)