Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Is Sanwa M17 really 3 time better than Futuba 4PLS? >

Is Sanwa M17 really 3 time better than Futuba 4PLS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Is Sanwa M17 really 3 time better than Futuba 4PLS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The 11x is noticeably faster than the same dss m11. I never compared it back to back against the m12 or 12s. Between 12s and m17 I doubt you will be able to tell the difference unless on a really big track or maybe 1/12 carpet. Now between spectrum and m11x and up? Huge difference. Not just in speed but consistency. It is pretty hard to beat a Sanwa in that department even a really old one. I could take a m11 crystal radio on the stand tomorrow amt an off-road track and not feel like I give up much to the latest radios. On carpet or on road it may be a different story.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:41 AM
Tech Lord

Read this topic:
Radio Benchmark program and results.
1/8 IC Fan and frewster like this.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I personally would look to just upgrade to a newer Futaba radio depending on how many receivers you have. While toM17 is the latest and greatest from the Sanwa camp I’m still not impressed with the plastic used on their receivers. Its so brittle and cheaply made IMO. Get yourself some electrcal tape to hold the cases together.....lol Futaba does need to upgrade their receivers and offer them smaller like Sanwa,KO, and Spektrum offer. They are the VCR’s of the receiver world.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:19 AM
Tech Lord

I have runned for many years a T3VCS with a Spektrum HRS transmitter modul, and those SR3000HRS receivers have the old normal size case. With the Mugen MRX6 it just fits in the box but there is no space to wire a servocable to the other side of the receiver. Because the battery wire comes from the other side I had to make a slot at the side of the receiver case so the wire did fit.

Now with the T7XC and the 334SB receiver I have there is enough space. I think people whining for smaller receivers are known with the much more expensive Sanwa receivers.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

If you ever use say a M12S radio, you will know immediately that there is a huge difference in response time. I have a DX4R and there is no comparison in radios. When I first raced the M12S the car came alive, big goose bumps. When you walk up the stand and know your radio is as good as everyone else's, whats that worth to you? Look at the pro race stands and see what they are using, not PLS for sure. Most are Sanwa with some Futabas. Why? Just pick up a M12S in great condition that the guy is getting rid of for an M17!!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Thank you! I will measure my NB4 and share.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

I don't notice anything special between an m11x and an m12.

As for testing, I would include a servo in the tests. I need to know if there's a difference between Sanwa and Hitec servos before I start buying servos again.

Speed to the ex is useless to me, if certain servos react slower than others .
Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

I always compare servo specs before buying. I want the best speed(.07-.08,) great torque, and the least weight. I usually run Savox, but have one Futaba. Edit; I just picked up a Tekin 250 servo to try out and it is a very good servo.

Last edited by platgof; 05-23-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Di_spencer
Another benefit of the ergonomics of a more expensive radio. On the m17 you can adjust the wheel up, down, in out and even rotate it so it's not parallel with the trigger so that it feels exactly how you want it to. You can also adjust trigger placement and tension. While it's more important to some, everyone wants to as comfortable as possible with their equipment especially if you're racing a 45-60 mins nitro main.
you can do that with most Radio including the 7PX fom futaba
Old 11-24-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been using the M17 with the new SXR download combined with Pro Performance rc servos and am still completely astounded every time I hit the track. I feel so connected to my cars it’s amazing having them do everything so precise. I originally had one of Sanwa own sxr Servo but tried the pro performance and now switched everything over to them