Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised) >

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree157Likes

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

What Roelof says is true, unless you have multiple cars and don't want to move the TX from one to another. I also agree that for some beginners (let's suppose you buy a used car) a new TX will count for a large % of the car price, and maybe the (right) long term use is not very clear.
RCHourglass TX are compatible with official Mylaps decoder as long as they've not been ugraded to firmware 4.5. I think you might want to investigate any local 'makers' comunity to find somebody that can help you, or maybe one RCTech user near your location.
dynofiend likes this.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi roelhof, thanks for your reply. Yes the Hourglass transponder is compatible with rc4 protocols, and I believe (although this is putting words into the developers mouths) it’s purpose was both as an engineering excercise, and to provide an affordable alternative timing option, or in their words to provide an alternative to the ‘just buy one and suck it up’ approach, which further funds the mylaps company in increasing operating costs for clubs and racers.

My cars I race are cheap, and not competitive, but I still enjoy racing, and can still keep in touch if I don’t crash. I have a 1/12 and 1/10 brushed buggies.

there are occasionally transponders that come up on the second hand market, but our population is small and RC is not a popular hobby, so this does not happen often. International postage costs make buying from overseas a poor option given we are on an isolated island.

thanks again for the reply and hope this helps
Old 07-01-2021, 03:12 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mv4wd
What Roelof says is true, unless you have multiple cars and don't want to move the TX from one to another. I also agree that for some beginners (let's suppose you buy a used car) a new TX will count for a large % of the car price, and maybe the (right) long term use is not very clear.
RCHourglass TX are compatible with official Mylaps decoder as long as they've not been ugraded to firmware 4.5. I think you might want to investigate any local 'makers' comunity to find somebody that can help you, or maybe one RCTech user near your location.
Do not forget that buying a transponder is also buying a personal transponder ID. When you make your own transponder you have to give it an ID which probably is already given officially by Mylaps. OK, the chance is very small you meet the person with the original ID but still, it can happen.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

I love this project!
Just what the hobby needs, well done gents!

Is there a tutorial?

Last edited by Styxxx; 08-04-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

The build tutorial is on github wiki of the project. To program the PIC you can either build the decoder that acts also as a PIC programmer, or use a standard PIC programmer (Pickit3 or 4 ) and standard Microchip IDE.
Styxxx likes this.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you, I will take a closer look.

I lot of the technical stuff flew over my head
Can I (and is it a good idea?) feed the transponder from my receiver (6V)?

Last edited by Styxxx; 08-05-2021 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions??

Hi folks,

I'm very impressed about your work here.
In my club I'm mostly responsible for beeing Race Director or doing timekeeping.
We normaly use and AMB Setup at Races and our AMB is normaly online during training hours for all drivers using Speedhive.

I'm looking for an alternative with a small footprint for every driver to be able to get his laps directly on track.
So my thoughts were using this decoder on a second loop we have and probably the python version I found in this thread.

I'm able to solder (I also did some smd soldering for some home automation project), but I'm not very good in pcb layouting I'm wondering if there are some ready (tested) pcb layouts which I can order on some serive provider like Andreas78 did with his first transponder layout.

Furhermore the transponder seems to be very interesting too. As I orderd some AMBrc4 transponders with the same number (different id) I think I cannot reorder these so I was thinking of building my own transponders eith the number I already have.

Yours
Carsten
Old 08-12-2021, 02:06 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry there's no 'official' PCB. The transponder uses the old AmbRc packet format, so using your number from a new RC4 transponder with it is NOT guarateed to work on Mylaps decoders (I'm 99% sure it will not work).
Old 08-13-2021, 01:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions??

Hello Marco, mv4wd
I am currently optimizing my own prototype decoder.

Currently I can receive transponder custom builds with the Atiny chip (Condac type).

and very weak original mylaps hybrid RC4

Structure of my build:
Loop of wire, MLA30 antenna block, MLA30 Bias Tee, Decoder(without 75R in input(R1).

When trying to optimize the antenna amplifier of the MLA30, it often happens that the cypress stops working.
I usually notice this too late :-( The LED on the cypress still flickers - but nothing is processed anymore.

I access the decoder via putty - the AMBRC MODE delivers a "sign of life" every few seconds, which is good.
In MONITOR MODE I miss this :-( while I try to receive the "packets" and change the variable resistor at the amplifier.
Also when I work with the timing software I don't see if the decoder is still running or if my car / transponder / amplifier just have a problem.

There are then 3 possibilities :
a: I change in the wrong direction (too little amplification or too much amplification).
b: I change in the right direction (protocols are received)
c: the cypress has hung up and therefore reports nothing more

Is it possible to build another output on the cypress with a "sign of life" LED? Then one would always recognize whether the device is still "alive" especially in the initial phase would be super good.

Unfortunately I have found on github no file for the decoder (PSoC Creator) Then I would have tried to understand myself.

#############
bonus question do I have to learn the RC4 Hybrid also? If yes, where and how?
#############

Please help :-)
Old 08-13-2021, 04:23 AM
Tech Regular

Never tested the MLA antenna, so this are just basic suggestions:
- keep R1 but connect to ground for proper termination
- make sure input voltage swing does not exceed the circuit 'limits'. As far as I understand the input can be very large, I don't think it can upset +5V rails for the PSOC, but the MLA has its own power supply, so everything is possible
- should the PSOC 'hang', I think you would loose USB device in windows. Also you can always send a command and check for response (like VERSION).

The hybrid should learn just like the RC4, maybe a little lower quality given the protocol mix between RC3 and RC4 packets
Old 08-13-2021, 06:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Okay i understand, R1 (75R ) to GND - will test it

When the PSOC 'hang' i cant type commands yes - ur right testet with VERSION but additional the PSOC dont "beep's" anymore while a are drive over the loop.

I think there was an a super featuere if there a "alive LED"

Is it possible to get the "program" from the PSOC?
Old 08-19-2021, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Forgive my ignorance but I have managed to put together my first decoder.
Got the correct 4k Ohm from the VDD and GND before attaching the PSoC.
Updated the PSoC and flashed the firmware.
Then connected it and connected the USB. No sign of life. No flashing LED.
About the start troubleshooting. But here is where I'm not really sure how to go about it
There are some TPs (Test Points?) on the schematic.
Do I connect one end to the GND and start poking around with the other end of my instrument around the TP areas?

Edit: Answering my own question. Yes, thats how its done.

Last edited by Styxxx; 08-19-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Styxxx
Then connected it and connected the USB. No sign of life.
This is strange. If firmware was uploded correctly, when you connect the board you should at least have a new usb device detected. If you don't, either
- you have a VCC/GND short
- you have not connected correctly the crystal and capacitors C4 and C5 to P15.0 and P15.1
- you have a non working PSOC board (strange if you have uploaded the firmware successfully).

After that you have to install the USB COM drivers from cypres to detect the board as a COM port.
Once this is sorted out... led flashing requires the analog front end to be correct.

Styxxx likes this.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Styxxx
Then connected it and connected the USB. No sign of life. No flashing LED..
check the micro usb lead is a data cable and not just a charging cable. I had the same issue until I switched leads.
Styxxx likes this.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blazinbeaver
check the micro usb lead is a data cable and not just a charging cable. I had the same issue until I switched leads.
Good call!
Double checked and its a data cable, I've used it to transfer files from my old cell phone and such.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.