Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised) >

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree157Likes

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

I a trying to find out what are the status message, it may be useful to have
a sample of transponder number of the same serie, with number that follow.
may be it is some CRC, model and year of build.

I will program a small Python script to analyse the number and status.

Thor
Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here is the database creation and filling to analyse the transponder packet.

some Views i use:

CREATE VIEW `V_MsgStatus` AS
SELECT `T_tData`.`msg_type` AS `msg_type`,
CONCAT(`T_tData`.`b_status1`,`T_tData`.`b_status2` ,`T_tData`.`b_status3`,`T_tData`.`b_status4`,`T_tD ata`.`b_status5`,`T_tData`.`b_status6`,`T_tData`.` b_status7`,`T_tData`.`b_status8`) AS `SatusBit`
FROM `T_tData`;

CREATE VIEW `V_TransMsgNible` AS
SELECT `T_tData`.`transponder` AS `transponder`,`
T_tData`.`msg_type` AS `msg_type`,`T_tData`.`b_nible1` AS `b_nible1`,`T_tData`.`b_nible2` AS `b_nible2`,`T_tData`.`b_nible3` AS `b_nible3`,
`T_tData`.`b_nible4` AS `b_nible4`,`T_tData`.`b_nible5` AS `b_nible5`,`T_tData`.`b_nible6` AS `b_nible6`,`T_tData`.`b_nible7` AS `b_nible7`,
`T_tData`.`b_nible8` AS `b_nible8` FROM `T_tData`;

Thor
Attached Files
File Type: zip
database.zip (37.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:23 PM
Tech Initiate

I have a working setup here now. I will post pictures if anyone wants to see.

I want to make some cases using my 3d printer.

I did some things different than you did I used 75 ohm BNC cable an not f-conn.

Does your version of the transponder output only one line per pass. I am viewing it with putty.

zround works I am using a small loop for testing inside. 12" loop.

The transponder protocol stuff is new to me I have a lot to learn.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Snowblind
I have a working setup here now. I will post pictures if anyone wants to see.
Very good. For sure I'm very interested in your prototype and improvement suggestions.

Does your version of the transponder output only one line per pass. I am viewing it with putty.
In standard mode, with putty you see only 'passing records' that is when the transponder is sensed just one message is sent to the timing software with transponder number and timestamp. The transponder itself always sends packets continuosusly. The decoder receives all of them but filters only the passages, and passages must be a minimum of 1 second apart. If you want to see all the packets received, with putty you must activate monitor mode (write MONITOR MODE + enter in the terminal). Switch back the behaviour with 'CANO MODE' command (it' the default at startup).
Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mroc
Here is the database creation and filling to analyse the transponder packet.
Nice job. For the status I have no idea of conding, my only guess is that b_status4+ b_status3 +b_status2 is the counter for the status record.

In any case we should find a suitable protocol the pack voltage & temp data in such a status record and relate it o the correct transponder number.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mv4wd
Nice job. For the status I have no idea of conding, my only guess is that b_status4+ b_status3 +b_status2 is the counter for the status record.

In any case we should find a suitable protocol the pack voltage & temp data in such a status record and relate it o the correct transponder number.
The big problem, is how to be sur that a status is going to the god transponder and not an other. the two last nibble seen to be transponder dependent.

I have received all the parts to build the decoder and 10 transponders.

When the weather will be Ok, I will test on the Geneva ( Sezegnin ) MX Track if it is ok with the speed of the bike.

Thor

PS Ecco un video della pista di Ginevra:_ttps://youtu.be/1htmj1_7auM
Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

the two last nibble seen to be transponder dependent.
Also remaining bits of the status are different in the series. Anyway we can make our own encoding, for sure the status must contain part (crc/other) of the TX ID to asign the correct voltage/temp to the record.

More than speed, an issue can be the distance from TX to loop, maybe something more powerfuld/directional is needed for motorbike racing.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

More than speed, an issue can be the distance from TX to loop, maybe something more powerfuld/directional is needed for motorbike racing.
Direction in TagHeurer are not used, we test the line passing into, without direction detection.
For me, the most important will be a status with the actual voltage of the battery,
ie from Vdd.
I think we can use the Reference voltage module, the use the DAC module to sample the Vdd and then use the ADC to mesure it, without using any pin of the chip.

What do you think ?

Thor
Old 01-16-2018, 02:14 AM
Tech Regular

without direction detection
Yes, I don't mean direction of car passage, but directionality of the transponder antenna to make it have higher field strength to ground direction.
For VDD measure, it can be done for sure. An aux packet must be used to send the information and to relate it to the passing transponder. I wonder if it't better to use a new 'preamble' for RCHourglass packets or try to unserstand AMB encoding (which I find difficult). Only thing I'm afraid of is that sending other aux packets might make the transponder not compatible with Mylaps decoder.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

My prototypes don't look as good/neat as yours

transponder_top:
I dont have a voltage reg on this one. I don't have a one with a low enough drop out voltage. I will order some next time i order some stuff from digikey. These close up pictures show some ugly solder joints.

transponder_bottom:
I 3D printed an antenna holder/short circuit protector

Amp/Decoder:
I used BNC connector for amp to decoder connection. I already had some BNC jacks and cable(RG-59/U) around
Attached Thumbnails RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)-transponder_top.jpg   RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)-transponder_bottom.jpg   RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)-rc_hourglass_decoder-cano-.jpg   RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)-rc_hourglass_amp-cano-.jpg  

Last edited by Snowblind; 01-17-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: fix pictures/update description
Old 01-16-2018, 06:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Only thing I'm afraid of is that sending other aux packets might make the transponder not compatible with Mylaps decoder.
As we are testing, thinking of new ways to do this we can make new modes up. But make the decoder default to a Mylaps compatible mode on startup.

Will this mylaps transponder work with the rc_hourglass decoder?
Mylaps AIT10R078 I can't post web links yet here. It's like 119.99 on amain hobbies It says it is 100% compatible with RC2/RC3 Timing Systems (previously AMBrc). So I think should be good to use that with this setup.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

My prototypes don't look as good/neat as yours

Here is the transponder...

I dont have a voltage reg on this one. I don't have a one with a low enough drop out voltage. I will order some next time i order some stuff from digikey. These close up pictures show some ugly solder joints.

Let me know if the picture don't show up.

I 3D printed an antenna holder/short circuit protector

The loop amp:

The decoder:
They look pretty darn good to me. And when they function, they're downright beautiful!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 AM
Tech Adept

Snowblind
It appears that Howard can see your pictures, but for some reason I can't see them in post #41. I can see the pictures in previous posts in this thread. I've tried four different browsers.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:32 AM
Tech Regular

I could see them this morning from mobile, not on browser... maybe you need to be logged in goolge account?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I can't see them either now. Yesterday they were fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.