Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders! >

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree99Likes

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 07:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
I believe the system for the Kyosho dNano is just based on rfid. But rfid is I believe too slow.
Interesting, I know just the basics of RFID and assumed it would be plausible. It is used here in Texas for the toll roads and if it can pick up a rfid tag at 70 mph, like 15 foot away. I don't see why it wouldn't work for us.

Originally Posted by whitrzac
How does requiring a new transponder make you faster, or improved over the old one?

Your crystal radio still works. You can still take it to the track and race with it.
To answer your first part: never said it did, its called a monopoly.

Second part: Read what I said
Just an FYI running old radio systems don't depend on base stations controlled by 3rd parties that stand to gain financially when they stop you from using it.
I also love your use of the winky face, maybe next time you should read what I wrote.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Interesting, I know just the basics of RFID and assumed it would be plausible. It is used here in Texas for the toll roads and if it can pick up a rfid tag at 70 mph, like 15 foot away. I don't see why it wouldn't work for us.
For a correct timing the place to detect needs to be very small, just a few cm. That a huge difference with the wide detecting antenna's above the road that can detect your rfid device over 10 or even more meters

Just calculate the time it works at 70mph over a range of 10 meters or just 10cm....
Old 10-29-2017, 08:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

For a correct timing the place to detect needs to be very small, just a few cm. That a huge difference with the wide detecting antenna's above the road that can detect your rfid device over 10 or even more meters

Just calculate the time it works at 70mph over a range of 10 meters or just 10cm....
Very true, I didnt think of that. You would need it to be very precise. These types of system are way out of my league, my passing interest in electronics doesn't cut it.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

My local track depends on their house transponders to work for the novice class so hopefully they don't shoot themselves in the foot and update, my guess is there is no warning when you update and that this live RC announcement is one of the few places making this publicly known. Doubt you can rollback firmware (easily) after you update.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just to add here, I raced a XC motocross series that used RFID stickers under the visor of the helmet. You still had to come to a stop for the tag to register your lap. They couldn't use them for regular motocross because the system can't detect riders flying through the finish line.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

next will be an annual licencing fee.

MRT please speed up the development on your decoder
oldernoob likes this.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Does this have any effect weather you use a 2 or 3 wire my laps?
Old 10-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Does this have any effect weather you use a 2 or 3 wire my laps?
yes, the larger two wire AMBRc DP transponder will cease working, the smaller MyLaps two wire transponder will continue to work.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
next will be an annual licencing fee.

MRT please speed up the development on your decoder
Have they actually announced they will be releasing a new decoder? Wouldn't it be hilarious if it's compatible will all versions of RCx systems, ha!

As far as the toll tags go, I'm not sure they are very reliable, I know may times they have to rely on photos taken of the license plates and even then there have been times where I had missed/free toll passes on occasion so their backup method isn't 100% effective either.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by asr524
Just to add here, I raced a XC motocross series that used RFID stickers under the visor of the helmet. You still had to come to a stop for the tag to register your lap. They couldn't use them for regular motocross because the system can't detect riders flying through the finish line.
Thats pretty interesting to learn, I guess rfid isnt as good as I thought.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

An update from a Dutch time keeper.

It looks like the 4.5 has some features for drone racing and so no use to do the update for rc car racing.
Drones should have their own system just like Freq. Why make all rc car racers pay the price for flying birds.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Your crystal radio still works. You can still take it to the track and race with it.
It's hit and miss. I've tried my old crystal radio at a couple of tracks last year. It worked okay at one, didn't work at all at the other as there was too much interference. The spectrum landscape has changed a lot in the last 10 years.
Milez likes this.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
Drones should have their own system just like Freq. Why make all rc car racers pay the price for flying birds.
Why would a transponder company make incompatible transponder technologies for all the different use cases when they can just invest in the one system that works everywhere?
Old 10-29-2017, 11:36 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Why would a transponder company make incompatible transponder technologies for all the different use cases when they can just invest in the one system that works everywhere?
Because with the introduction of the RC4 transponder and all his features it was already told the compatibillity with RC3 will be stopped.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 AM
Tech Champion

Because with the introduction of the RC4 transponder and all his features it was already told the compatibillity with RC3 will be stopped.
That's so they can keep selling new hardware to those who already have the old ones. That's a separate issue to doubling up engineering resources to intentionally make systems sold to different customers incompatible.
DRTMI likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.