Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KHoff7
You still have not offered contracts to any members of your team
Lol
Old 06-11-2014, 03:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I just received email confirmation from Uwe Rheinard that a maximum of 3 sets were used.

"For tires we used RIDE 36 !! Most teams could do the 24h with two sets, but more than 3 sets, no team needed!"

Would everyone agree to having two sets of tires included in their entry fee?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That would be awesome FJ.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
if anyone has a GOOD thought on how to keep voltages in check, please pipe up.
Just curious Mike, what's the issue with checking battery voltages?

All you need is a really good digital volt meter like this one and when a team does a battery change the voltage must be checked before returning to the track.

If you really want to be anal you can order that meter with a calibration certificate.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just an idea for the motor thing, I think it would be fine to let people run whatever 17.5's they have (everyone has old 17.5's laying around they could use and don't care if they blow up.)... and attach a claimer rule to the race. A team can claim another team's motor (during the race) for a fee and laps.

Just as an example, $20 and 10 laps.

Team A claims Team B's motor. Team B pulls car into pits and swaps out motor. Deduct 10 laps from team A and give it to team B.

If team B can replace a motor in 1 minute, and in the process lose 3-4 laps, they could make out by gaining 6-7 laps. Of course, they could also lose laps if they don't have their game on-point. It may also discourage teams from running motors that are significantly faster... (or at least prevent them from showing it off).

And you can limit the number of claims a team can make, let's say 1 per 12 hour period or something, so they can't get someone rich out there buying up everyone's motors.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Just curious Mike, what's the issue with checking battery voltages?

All you need is a really good digital volt meter like this one and when a team does a battery change the voltage must be checked before returning to the track.

If you really want to be anal you can order that meter with a calibration certificate.
6-10 cars on track changing batteries every 20-30 mins or so, it would be a full time job to check each pack manually, plus adding time o the pit stop. Most of the ways you would think to easily do it, like a battery impound, or such, require people, and its hard to get volunteers to work tech for 24h
Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuruption
Just an idea for the motor thing, I think it would be fine to let people run whatever 17.5's they have (everyone has old 17.5's laying around they could use and don't care if they blow up.)... and attach a claimer rule to the race. A team can claim another team's motor (during the race) for a fee and laps.

Just as an example, $20 and 10 laps.

Team A claims Team B's motor. Team B pulls car into pits and swaps out motor. Deduct 10 laps from team A and give it to team B.

If team B can replace a motor in 1 minute, and in the process lose 3-4 laps, they could make out by gaining 6-7 laps. Of course, they could also lose laps if they don't have their game on-point. It may also discourage teams from running motors that are significantly faster... (or at least prevent them from showing it off).

And you can limit the number of claims a team can make, let's say 1 per 12 hour period or something, so they can't get someone rich out there buying up everyone's motors.
There are many ways to exploit this. Everyone should be running the same out of the box rtr version of something, I like sensorless because you can't mess with it, and with lower gearing even if the motors were not perfectly matched, the advantage would be small.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm confident we must run sensorless when using Brushless. The motors really don't cog... I think "we've" been sold a story with sensor vs sensorless
Old 06-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

LOT OF OVER THINKING HERE. IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE THIS DIFFICULT.

Lot of folks in here still thinkin' in '5 minute mode'. There is a price paid for overvolting your packs in a 'non 5 minute race'. So unless you are going to make things more complicated than they need be with say puttin all chargers in the scoring hut banning all chargers out in the pits and tagging batteries as they come and go in the pits....

....then just move on, get your rules package together and put that flyer out.

mike, make it simple. if u feel the sensorless kit is up to the task and replacement parts are not an arm and a leg do it. otherwise spec a justock 17.5 geared fixie to 7:1. Yes i said 7:1. Richfield Racers race VTA enduros on 21.5s with 7:1 and the racing is fun. With jackson a longer and more open track, 7:1 will be a steady fit. if you feel 6:1 is needed, testing will show you. as reference past races we've been on silver cans with 5.72:1

looks like the right tire, have a go on them and see what happens. I think these will drive tire bill down.

R

PS- penalize teams who cheat with having to use 'fake deans'
Old 06-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

the 2 sets included in the entry fee, sounds good

if, for some reason, a 3rd set is needed (busted rim, odd manufacturing defect, act of God or sabotage ), then will an additional be available? maybe at a penalty, unless proven that the tire/rim is shot?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeXray
There are many ways to exploit this. Everyone should be running the same out of the box rtr version of something, I like sensorless because you can't mess with it, and with lower gearing even if the motors were not perfectly matched, the advantage would be small.
agreed - claiming provisions on a race like this will over complicate things
Old 06-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hanulec
I'm confident we must run sensorless when using Brushless. The motors really don't cog... I think "we've" been sold a story with sensor vs sensorless
I know the original motors/speedos had cogging issuses - I know my original tekin mini bl system was horrible at times...then I figured out how to adjust the radio to balance out the cogging

but that was 8/9 years ago - surely things have changed and speedos have gotten 'smarter'
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
So? Wouldn't that be part of the fun?

I mean, this 24 hour race seems like a real cool concept, but we're not talking like this is IIC or Snowbirds. This is a bunch of local racers looking for some bragging rights running a once-a-year race intended to be more fun than competitive. I mean, you're running Tamiya cars for [someone's]-sake. It's not like we're all going out there with $900 touring car chassis.

This should be the equivalent of MTV's Rock-N-Jock basketball and softball games from back in the day. None of the "rules" really matter, they're mostly there to make it more entertaining and fun for the competitors.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

I mean, this 24 hour race seems like a real cool concept, but we're not talking like this is IIC or Snowbirds. This is a bunch of local racers looking for some bragging rights running a once-a-year race intended to be more fun than competitive. I mean, you're running Tamiya cars for [someone's]-sake. It's not like we're all going out there with $900 touring car chassis.

This should be the equivalent of MTV's Rock-N-Jock basketball and softball games from back in the day. None of the "rules" really matter, they're mostly there to make it more entertaining and fun for the competitors.
not seems like a cool concept - is a cool concept.

its all about preparation and the like - not just all horsing around with buds for 28 hours....its way different then running 6-15 minutes at a time. you're up there for 30-60 minutes at times, in the dead of the night. the last thing you need anyone to have to deal with is a 'claim' being done then, then having to pull the car(s) off and do the deal - you're loosing track time and laps

trust me, there's a ton of competition going on - especially, if you see you're 30 laps behind team X and they just broke a servo/arm/chassis. now you need to step up your game and make up the difference

is it fun?? most definitely - but is it a joke? not in the least bit
Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
not seems like a cool concept - is a cool concept.

its all about preparation and the like - not just all horsing around with buds for 28 hours....its way different then running 6-15 minutes at a time. you're up there for 30-60 minutes at times, in the dead of the night. the last thing you need anyone to have to deal with is a 'claim' being done then, then having to pull the car(s) off and do the deal - you're loosing track time and laps

trust me, there's a ton of competition going on - especially, if you see you're 30 laps behind team X and they just broke a servo/arm/chassis. now you need to step up your game and make up the difference

is it fun?? most definitely - but is it a joke? not in the least bit
Claiming a motor (and giving a team laps for having their motor taken) essentially penalizes the whole field at once, up until the point they can't change the motor in 10 laps, then they penalize themselves by allowing the field to catch up. Meanwhile, the team hasn't made any infraction warranting any sort of penalty, laps or otherwise.

On the other hand, teams that can replace the motor in less than 10 laps effectively penalize the entire field; 1 team gets a "special motor", the others get a penalty for a transaction in which they had no participation.

Looking at it from either perspective, it's an unfair rule. Teams should earn and lose laps the old-fashioned way - by running circuits around the course. I've never seen any form of racing permit a competitior to take another competitor's motor during the course of an event, and that trend shouldn't start here, IMO...

Last edited by oeoeo327; 06-11-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.