Wiki Posts
Search

Revival of 24 Heures Du Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spurcheck
R, just so long as we don't get any of those "cheap knock off" Deans connectors.
***Cringes, remembering the failure that comes with using cheap knockoffs*** - UGH... Don't remind me!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spurcheck
R, just so long as we don't get any of those "cheap knock off" Deans connectors.
Originally Posted by oeoeo327
***Cringes, remembering the failure that comes with using cheap knockoffs*** - UGH... Don't remind me!!!
Yeah, what he said!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

After Barry's 5 hours of tire testing -- we have some interesting news to report.

Ride tires @ 0 minutes

Ride tires @ 3 hours

Ride tires @ 5 hours

So even the all mighty Ride 36 tires can not resist the wear and tear of Jackson + a pushy car . The question is... what do we do?

Right now we have three options 1) try another tire; 2) supply all racers 5 sets; 3) keep the tire limit at 4 sets, and tell everyone to deal with it (i.e. running a set of rears on the front, etc).

Option #1 will be executed upon NEXT!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Last update -- we have to pull in the registration cut off by one week in order to have any hope of getting tires in time. we are talking w/ a bunch of manufactures -- and we don't see any other option that will allow us to make this happen.

Registration cutoff is now Monday, July 14th at 12pm eastern. We require at least 9 teams to hold the race!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hanulec
After Barry's 5 hours of tire testing -- we have some interesting news to report.

So even the all mighty Ride 36 tires can not resist the wear and tear of Jackson + a pushy car .
Ride-5hrs vs Solaris-2hrs. Looks like win to me. This car is also faster. I think u scored!

Try a softer front spring, reviews report that the kit set are too stiff.

R
Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Ultegra
Ride-5hrs vs Solaris-2hrs. Looks like win to me. This car is also faster. I think u scored!

Try a softer front spring, reviews report that the kit set are too stiff.

R
Asc green are 12lb...
Old 06-26-2014, 04:58 AM
Tech Adept

Well do you feel then that it is rolling over on the nose and the hard tire causing push. Rear bar?

R
Old 06-26-2014, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Thumbs up harder tire??

How about trying a Team Powers 40R those are like hockey pucks . lol!

Just a question, did you rotate the tires at all in that 5:00 hours or is that impractical for this type of race?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

its not impractical but to know how they will go you must butcher a set or 2 to see how long they will go. especially the left front at jackson.

rotating could see more life but perhaps some other more negative affects.

its a balance naturally too hard and the tire slides around a ton and wears faster. more so with this car going faster than previous year's cars.

i think they have a winner. maybe they hold a set in reserve for all teams and if director determines b/c of the heat that teams will get a 5th set after
12hrs then so will it be. how i'd play it.

R
Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

If a set cannot make 6 Hours without failure, then we need more sets, i say 6, 4 included, 2 more optional.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeXray
If a set cannot make 6 Hours without failure, then we need more sets, i say 6, 4 included, 2 more optional.
I doubt 6 sets would be required. 4 included, 1 optional gets my vote. I say this knowing that the lap times didn't fall off even with the front tires worn to the cords, so to speak.

Alternative 2 - give each team 5 sets...
Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Tire wear also has to do with setup (as some have said earlier) and how hard you drive the car. While one team could make 4 hours out of a set, another could make only 2. Since Barry is a pretty smooth driver, I would guess 5 is the high water mark for the wear life of the tire, and some other teams may have issues even with a 4 hour lifespan.

Let's face it, none of these tires were really meant for this type of event... but that's what makes this fun. I don't care about how many sets we choose, but let's not make it ridiculously expensive either. If it was 4, I would say that would be part of the challenge of this type of event. Maybe 6 would be a good number, 4 hours each set with possibly some mixing and matching in the last hours of the race? Remember, there is always the off chance that a tire blows up (ala Sweeps) at the most inopportune time, too...
Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Let the race directors make the rules. Especially if you've never done this before. Rest is just opinions and speculation.

So you have to conserve your tires, rerun some, or rotate... part of the game. Either you have to do it or you have to a higher entry fee. that is why allowing the race director to allocate addtn'l sets after a given time elapsed in the race is just fine and doesn't hem you into just one option.

It is too late to make rash changes. maybe another team gets 8hrs. maybe everyone gets 1-2 more hrs at night. maybe everyone loses 1-2 hrs in august vs june. maybe maybe maybe. allocate the 4-5sets. then allow race director to give teams addtn'l sets after an assessment at sun down, 12hrs and/or sun up.

Done!

R
Old 06-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
I doubt 6 sets would be required. 4 included, 1 optional gets my vote. I say this knowing that the lap times didn't fall off even with the front tires worn to the cords, so to speak.

Alternative 2 - give each team 5 sets...
remember, the tires wear better during the cooler overnight hours

the last one I ran, we got about 5 hours on a set of solaris hards in the middle of night

unless you did overnight testing, Barry
Old 06-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by k_bojar
remember, the tires wear better during the cooler overnight hours

the last one I ran, we got about 5 hours on a set of solaris hards in the middle of night

unless you did overnight testing, Barry
Actually, we did some of the testing at night... Midnight - 1AM, to be precise.

Several of the test sessions (including the last one) were done at transitional periods between dusk and dark. Other sessions were completed during full daylight hours with 110+ degree track temps. Last weekend's first test was completed at 9AM. We did our best to cover all of the bases on this one, considering the short span of time we had for testing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.