Search
Like Tree831Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
We have early reports that there are Cheeseheads on the ground in Southern California. While we cannot confirm this as of yet, they seem determined to overtake and conquer a small portion of California in Aliso Viejo. Reports are definately sketchy at this time, but look for updates later in the week.
Ya, some cheeseheads did arrive and practice today. Marty, Paulie, Lee, Nathan & I are the current contingent, Steve Key arrives Thursday and has a space across from Nathan. You're pitting right across from me, do I need to bring the Mayo?

Devin, Nathan & I had fun playing "chase the Mini" for most of the day. Devin as always has lots of motor, but we were all pretty close, swapping lead, middle and tail. Track temp today topped out at 156 per my temp guage. We ran old tires, but the heat wore them out pretty quickly. The temp is supposed to drop tonight to low to mid 80's for the rest of the week, and tires should last longer tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Can't wait to get there, see you tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

12 hours and counting before the plane ride.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Are Terence and I on the "Team" list this year ? What day is going to be SIR T-shirt day? Want to make sure mine is clean this time.
S.I.R. SHIRT DAY IS FRIDAY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY

Due to the low turn out for on-road lately, I was only able to get shirts for our locals making the trip, however you guy's are still the cali. chapter of S.I.R.:nodi
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rchoudini

Due to the low turn out for on-road lately, I was only able to get shirts for our locals making the trip, however you guy's are still the cali. chapter of S.I.R.:nodi
i still have my orange one and black one i do like the color on the new ones.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hebiki
i still have my orange one and black one i do like the color on the new ones.
Funny thing is I don't think we need the bright colors to stand out.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazy5
Troy certainly doesn't
Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Troy certainly doesn't
gary.... you joining us for some dromo1 on friday night?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by crazy5
yep, just listen
Old 08-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I guess Troy is doing his own Tamtech body now !
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So, here I sit at Dulles...flight almost two hours late....will be something like midnight before we land in Long beach....THIS SUCKS!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Lord

Default Ideas for next year....

novak just introduced a "17.5" motor.... i wonder.... imagine this...

GT1 = 10.5
GT2 = 13.5
GT3 = 17.5

hmmmmm. as for batteries.

Orion (since we're using their stick packs now) 3200lipos for everyone
Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

that would be dialed
Old 08-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rtypec
Thanks everybody for the kind words. And thanks for all of the support from everyone. It's kind of a lot to take in when your standing on the driverstand and everybody is cheering you on. It is an underscribable feeling. Thanks!

Right now, I'm sitting at my office with a perma-grin while I catch up on email and requests....

Once again, thanks to EVERYONE!
Originally Posted by minidriver
For those who were interested in the mini setup that won:

M-03L
A compound tires front and rear
Front inserts: tamiya Blue 24 mm sedan shaped insert, cut to size, surrounded by Tamiya black foam sedan insert, cut to size, all stuffed in the tire (thanks to last year's champ Dan Garber for the tip of stuffing the front tires for roll speed.)
Rear inserts: Tamiya hard shaped inserts
(This insert combination gave great roll speed through the corners)

Shocks: Mini CVA shocks, one o-ring internal front and rear.
Front: 100 weight, 3 hole
Rear: 70 weight, 1 hole
Springs: short hard on road springs (not the original softer set) For Sunday, went from hard blue (which worked great in the heat of practice, but created too much traction roll in the cool damp conditions on Sunday) to hard yellow front and rear. I had tried as hard as the white front and rear in practice, but that setup was a bit too stiff in the heat of the day and caused a bit of rear wheel hop around the sweeper. White's on Sunday would have been a roll over disaster. (All week practice was cool am, but with warm and sunny afternoons with track temp around 115. Sunday was very cool and damp throughout the day, no sun to heat up the track.)

Ride height: 4 mm front, 7 mm rear

TA-02 ball diff (Manta ray), but with lightweight diff plates hop up option (lightest diff to use in a mini)

Dual rate 50%

I started out the practice week using S-grips with hard inserts up front and thought it was a pretty good stable set up, but Dan Garber suggested that the set up, while hooked, was scrubbing off speed in the corners. The switch to the the a compounds up front stuffed full increased that roll speed. The change allowed me to decrease dual rate from about 80% to 50%.

My motor peaked in the 2nd round of qualifying, which was the only round to see sub 19 second laps (18.7).

Many thanks to Tamiya for the great series. Too bad it is not a Japan trip this year, but it was still great fun and had some great prizes (Surikarn Evo 3, set up board, GT7) and the same trophy the other class winners received. Actually, my wife is happy it was not a Japan eligible class!

Note to Tamiya: even though this was not a Japan eligible class, it is a class to keep in the North American Finals. Great turnout (40), great competition, and big smiles from all who turned out to compete. Mini is always the most "laid back" class, with great competition and fun. At my local track (S&N Trackside, Brookfield WI) the mini class is always good laid back fun. Just because you won't be sending the winner to Japan does not mean you should eliminate the class for the North American finals, or from the TCS Series. The re-release of the Alfa body (now on the m-04 chassis with the chassis extender removed) should mean that the rear drive small tire mini should return to TCS legal competition.

David Weir
a blast from the past.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Desperately seeking recognition?

Can Timmy and me get one this time?
After all I did reserve several tables for S.I.R. since Tuesday,that way we can keep the group together and right in front of Timmy and me, so we can keep an eye on all of you!! Maybe see some Northwestern RC SECRETS!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.