Search
Like Tree50Likes

Regarding losing Race Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by AHR43
What I find curious is that in 1:1 compared to RC, tracks don't have the luxury of changing layouts at will or to accommodate the whining's of the few. And yet, racers and major sanctioning organizations return year after year to the same layout.
Not sure I would agree entirely with this claim.

I've rarely seen any layout changes to oval racing in RC and those guys seem to be fairly content with that.

I am not into Autocross but I know of some locals who run both Autocross and RC, what they've told me is that they change the layout every time for an Autocross event.

Same is the case for Motocross racing which I believe is the main inspiration for many of the jump features as well as how RC events are operated and scored.

AHR43 likes this.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Not sure I would agree entirely with this claim.

I've rarely seen any layout changes to oval racing in RC and those guys seem to be fairly content with that.

I am not into Autocross but I know of some locals who run both Autocross and RC, what they've told me is that they change the layout every time for an Autocross event.

Same is the case for Motocross racing which I believe is the main inspiration for many of the jump features as well as how RC events are operated and scored.
Forgive my ignorance, but what kind of layout changes should oval guys be making while still being oval?
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Forgive my ignorance, but what kind of layout changes should oval guys be making while still being oval?
run it the opposite direction?
Old 03-24-2024, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
There are some tracks which share a 1/8 track with an oval track as part of the 1/8 track layout, quite often the oval is reconfigured every time they rebuild the 1/8 track and the oval isn't quite the exact same layout as it was before based on various 1/8 jump features, etc.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Most racers I know will get bored with a track if the layout stays too long. Traction Action will change the track every 2 months, and always before a trophy race.

Keep in mind off road track changes are huge undertakings
Thats a long time for a carpet track to keep one layout. I’ve raced at a few carpet track that are off road only. They will keep a layout around a month. The ones running dual, or triple programs. It’s usually 2 layouts a month. Might be similar, with jumps in different locations.

Clay I understand is going to keep a layout for 3-4 months. That’s a big job. Changing a carpet layout is 3-4hrs. Probably less if have a plan and multiple people
Old 03-26-2024, 07:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Track by me just changed the layout, and it took 2 days. But they build some really strong tracks
Old 03-26-2024, 07:44 AM
Tech Lord

What I find curious is that in 1:1 compared to RC, tracks don't have the luxury of changing layouts at will or to accommodate the whining's of the few. And yet, racers and major sanctioning organizations return year after year to the same layout.

Again, Regarding losing Race Tracks, I look to the Magarigawa Club Racing track in Japan and the Thermal Club here in the U.S. Both examples of privately owned tracks. Perhaps tracks like these as a harbinger of the future? Tracks laid out on private land owned by probably a consortium of multi-millionaires. At least they offer some semblance of stability to racers and organizations.
Race car clubs are huge in the US. There's one here on Long Island. Many provide extras like on site car storage, repair shops, and such. I read somewhere that the initiation fee for most of these places is $200K. Keep in mind your average millionaire that owns an exotic car usually owns more than one.

1:1 tracks do make minor changes to try and make the racing better. But drastic changes are far too expensive. Plus 1:1 racers understand they have to travel to enjoy their hobby. As far as changing oval tracks, consider Homestead Miami speedway, which is on it's third configuration.

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
I can't believe this has to be said, but RC car racing isn't the same as NASCAR or F1 racing.
Don't say that to a racer!

Old 03-26-2024, 07:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Track by me just changed the layout, and it took 2 days. But they build some really strong tracks
I waiting to see the new layout on FB
Old 03-26-2024, 01:53 PM
Tech Prophet

825 miles. New layout looks good.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Interesting read that has crossover to what we've all experienced in RC. So we be not the only ones. Seen this come up as a topic on here before. Not sure whether to post it here or in Chat. So, Mod, move it if you have too.

Losing Race Tracks

Out here, in Cali, It's not just tracks that are going away. Riding areas, in general, are going away. Many state run OHV parks are getting shut down or getting smaller in size. This is being done for environmental reasons. Glamis and Pismo beach keep taking huge hits. The environmentalists have been trying to shut down Pismo for quite some time, and almost succeeded.

As for RC tracks, acreage is just too expensive to rent or buy. I'm betting that parking lot on road tracks are going to start popping up all over. I wouldn't doubt if they start throwing jumps out there and calling it off road racing. Then again, some of these parking lots are in such poor condition that it will actually feel like off roading.

AHR43 and Disgruntled_RC like this.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:05 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
825 miles. New layout looks good.
You coming Friday?
Old 03-27-2024, 07:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

What looks like a success story to me is the Perris, California track. Home of The Dirt 1/8 RC off-road and more recently the 1:1 330ft Street Legal Dragway. A good example of a RC track and full size track co-existing with full support of the community.

It might be useful for all disciplines of motorsport to study how that relationship was developed and how it is maintained now.
nitrous36 and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:29 AM
Tech Prophet

You coming Friday?
No. But I will look into the possibility down the road. I’ve done 600 miles before
jiml likes this.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
No. But I will look into the possibility down the road. I’ve done 600 miles before
let us know when your making the hike.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Kregger
let us know when your making the hike.
I definitely would. I have not looked at a schedule, don’t know if they run over summer. But there’s a few I’m looking into that pass the 10hr drive mark.

It would not surprise me if a guy named Racer Ray showed up there. He’s on 55 tracks, been working his way across Pennsylvania. I find tracks from his posts. I’ve raced with him at few places

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.