Search
Like Tree50Likes

Regarding losing Race Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AHR43
What looks like a success story to me is the Perris, California track. Home of The Dirt 1/8 RC off-road and more recently the 1:1 330ft Street Legal Dragway. A good example of a RC track and full size track co-existing with full support of the community.

It might be useful for all disciplines of motorsport to study how that relationship was developed and how it is maintained now.

This has happened with all tracks. The community supports it, but after a while, the property becomes more valuable, more houses are built around the tracks, then the new community petitions to have the track shut down because of the noise. The track owner will now how to make one of two choices. Either sell the property for a huge amount of money or spend a huge amount of money in attorney fees to keep the track open.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The RC tracks in Perris are at the County Fair Grounds, there is also an onroad track there called BWS Raceway (The Street). Perris is not a densely populated area, so the fairgrounds allow a drag strip, auto speedway, go karting track, rodeo type events...etc. Its a pretty huge plot of land. For more densely populated areas i think it would be difficult to make this work or find something suitable for an RC track.

I think a great example of the 'club' type events held in a parking lot is The Lap Factory in San Diego. The events are held at the Hobby Town Santee parking lot on sundays, typically once a month. A huge amount of work has gone into it by the organizers and there is a devote group of volunteers that show up as early as 5am to get the track ready and leave as late as 6-7pm to pack the track up.
The track is laid out, drivers stand setup, track sauced and ready to go by 7-7:30am. The average amount of drivers is 70-80 with 150+ entries over 18-20 heats. This attracts regulars from the LA area (2 hour+ drive) and has also had people from Arizona and Northern Cal make the trip down. It can be a long day, but completely worth it.

I just bring it up because its possible to get some pretty epic on road clubs going even with parking lot tracks. The mostly predictable weather here plays some factor in the ability to do this though.
With that said, I've really enjoyed watching whats going on with the 702 RC On Road Club in Las Vegas. It was a huge bummer when 702 Raceway (indoor carpet) closed. I've been following the club on Facebook and its great to see how their program has continued to grow over the last 2 years.

https://youtu.be/9gDzt7KnF9E?si=A_ZqtvhECNjMqQfa

Last edited by Techno Duck; 03-28-2024 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This was the way RC racing started for most of us old folk
nitrous36 likes this.