• 1 Post By DirkW
  • 2 Post By IndyRC_Racer
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Outcomes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 08:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Outcomes?

Innocent question here. I'm just curious. Are there prizes of any kind for racing? I mean, are you racing for money, or gift certificates, or free parts or anything? Not talking about "pro level" - just about your average guy who does RC car racing.

What is the "standard" for this kind of thing?
Old 02-10-2022, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Pride!
Some have more of it on the line than others.
jiml and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by asr524
Pride
ok, I thought that was the case, I just wasn't really sure. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2022, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Me personally or everywhere.

Mostly just fun and pride. I like to win.

There are money races and those are fun too. A different mindset for a money race.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:24 AM
Tech Lord

There are some races with a price money but it is sad to see the people who do get payed and sponsored are always taking it.

All other races are more about the pride and honor, to me it is more to have a fun weekend putting all bad thoughts aside.
DadRacer likes this.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Most everyday/regular races, that I have seen, are just for bragging rights. You usually get a certificate stating what place you were in. Bigger races offer prizes such as parts, equipment, gift certificates, and money.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

99% of the time all you can get is bragging rights and some sort of trophy and/or certificate. I've personally never been to or even seen a race with a cash price attached to it, except something within a Reedy event, IIRC, but nothing else. Even parts/kits, are often given away in a raffle for all participants instead of for actual race results. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen any different here and there, though, and professional drivers (who are actually employed by manufacturers) probably also get some bonus payments for winning a big title, like the worlds.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

The only racing I've seen with a typical cash payout is drag racing. And like somebody else said, you generally know who is going to win before the race anyway.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asr524
Pride!
Some have more of it on the line than others.

Most of the time, it's WAY more than others. And you can spot them out as soon as you walk in the.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

For club racing, the prize is typically your photo on the podium shared on social media.

For series events, they often include some hardware ranging from a plaque, or some form of trophy, I recently got a Championship Ring for 1st which has been my personal favorite award to date.

Occasionally you'll see a "Cash" race where proceeds are split to the winners and depending on turnout I've seen a cash prize as high as $100... it's a tough balance to keep race entry fees low enough to draw enough interest.

Big race events often have raffle prizes which range from accessories up to new kits, you don't have to have any skill to win these prizes which is what makes a big race VERY popular.

The most important thing I've learned is that you don't want to focus on "winning" because that can set you up for disappointment... I keep a race log on a "Google Sheets" to track the following stats:

Hot Lap, Hot Qual, Hot Main, Hot Consistency, Stack Rank... these are my PR's (Personal Records) and my goal is to only beat one of my PR's... I could come in last place every time, but if I beat a PR, then I'm going home with a smile on my face that day. I reset my stats every time they do a layout change on the track.

Along with my stats, I also track my rebuild log, tuning changes as well what parts broke, etc...

I focus more on my personal growth rather than who I beat... you could be the fastest guy at any local track, but I promise there's always gonna be someone faster in the next town over
Old 02-14-2022, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

A track I've raced at had some small plaques made (around 1 inch x 1 inch) for 1st thru 3rd in the A or B main. They also has similar stickers made that were similar. The track offered these "trophies" for club racing every week. You didn't have to take them, but most people that raced enjoyed their little plaque or sticker. The younger racers always really enjoyed their "trophy"

To echo what a few others have said, sometimes all we want is a little recognition of our successes.

----------

I have also raced at another track that offered 'track bucks" to the a-main podium(s). 1st basically got their entry money back, 2nd got half, and 3rd got a few bucks. In theory this was a good idea, but in practice the same few people were always winning. It ended up creating a little animosity from the people who didn't have a chance of winning. I think a better idea to reward people for showing up to race is through random free race entries through a raffle/drawing or something of equivalent value. Limit how often an individual is eligible for such prizes. Roll over the amount if no one is eligible that week. In my experience never reward money during rc club racing based soley on podium position or it will bring out the worst in some people. It can also have the adverse affect of driving away the people who are just there for fun.

----------

As far as free parts, that is always the best when I've been to various trophy/special races when the organizer is prepared to give away those items to all registered entries. It was always best when the free item was something useful to the class I was registered in. It also helped in those situations when the sponsored driver''s either opt out of the free item or were generous and offered those items to racers who could actually benefit from them.

----------

One last reward that I've seen that does work is a track record board that is maintained. This worked particularly well if the layout stayed the same for a long period of time (such as in oval racing). It is always fun to see your name "up in lights". Things such as fastest lap, most laps, xx number of laps, most consistent lap times could be tracked (you can still be slow but have near identical lap times). These type of record boards work best if they are periodically reset so it gives everyone a chance to get their name posted. They also work best when you can find fun ways to recognize the novice or average racers with meaningful records. One last thing on this type of recognition, always ask the racer if it is okay to put their name up. Some racers aren't always comfortable having this information posted (or would rather give other people a chance to be on boards).
alphacat and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Ringers

Seems like the easy solution for "ringers" is that you can only be awarded a particular prize once every X days. If you win again during that time period, the prize goes to the next closest competitor, however far down the standings that ends up, and "rolls over" as needed if no qualifying people win it. Note: ringers could still race and win every week, but the prize would be going to new people all the time.

For example...suppose the "weekly Saturday SCT race" has a $25 prize and prize limit of 1 every 90 days (I am totally making this up, so don't jump on me for the numbers). Now suppose you have the same 5 guys winning all the time. Well, one of those 5 guys will get the prize for the first 35 days, but after that, it's going to go to new people every week, provided there are some. If only "previous winners" race, that prize will carry over until a new person wins it. It could end up being a substantial prize at some point too.

It could create some interesting drama too. For example, someone may decide it isn't in their best interest to finish well until the prize is jacked up for lack of winners. That gets balanced out by new people winning and resetting the prize down to the base amount.

it would make things interesting (:

Old 02-17-2022, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

If you start excluding racers based on skill or any other imaginable exclusion, they will start racing elsewhere.

The track in my area handles "sandbaggers" differently by eliminating the Sportsman class for club races. Everyone is mixed together and turnout+skill determines which main you are sorted in with no bumps. Each main is awarded top 3 down to however many mains there are. One time we had a Pro level driver who broke in every qual and didn't make the A Main and would settle for a B Main win... talk about the ultimate sandbagger because he would go on to break every track record during the B Main, ha!

Just imagine the delight of the Sportsman level drivers getting to share the podium with a legit Pro!
gigaplex likes this.