Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I remember your VTA car especially at the Southern NATS because you took the time to light it. I think you were the only one. That was cool! You should post a photo of that car again Snoop.
Thanks. I enjoyed campaigning the car like that. I was especially proud of the light buckets that I made to go in that shell, and the mercury switch that I used to simulate brake lights. It looked good but the car was well over 1700 grams and you could feel it. The material that I used to make the buckets was very heavy. It did take a beating and still held my LED's in place, but it is more show than go.

Don't get me wrong. I am not blaming my performance on my fat car. If anything, my poor track performance gave me the freedom to use a heavy light kit.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ASM
Just finished my Mustang Coupe today.
Sorry the Mustang isn't too fancy...
Looks like the real deal to me. The "speed shop" lettering really makes it look authentic.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

Has anyone tried the liquitex on lexan? At 11.99 a rattle can for most colors I thought I would ask first. Granted it is available in many subtle shades and its a tall can, near the size of a can of Krylon or Rustoleum. But if it doesn't work???

http://www.liquitex.com/spraypaint/

Last edited by snoopyrc; 01-05-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: add url for paint
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Has anyone tried the liquitex on lexan? At 11.99 a rattle can for most colors I thought I would ask first. Granted it is available in many subtle shades and its a tall can, near the size of a can of Krylon or Rustoleum. But if it doesn't work???
IndyRC uses laquer on all of his bodies and has no flaking issues. I don't know how he preps, but it works.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My Buddy Michael Sheehan's "McAllister Firebird"

Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

I like the Firebird, but then again, I like anything ORANGE!

Being stuck at home these last couple of days is allowing me time to get some airbrushing done. Enjoying shop time indoors while its 14 below zero outdoors!

This is Parma 70 Cuda body that I just finished. The Parma body is a little squared off on the nose. I don't like that, but the good part is that its nice thick lexan. Same stuff they use on their SCT bodies. So, it should be durable. This one will be for sale at Indy RC on Friday night when we go VTA racing!

Faskolor Key Lime backed with yellow to warm it up a little. Everything is paint except the front and rear lights/grill decal. I'll get some better photos in the future. A little cold outside to do that today!

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-parma70cuda01r.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey fellas, I'm painting up a new body....the HPI '70 Boss 302. Has anyone else noticed this body to be particularly thin? Specifically, the front is really thin....especially the spoiler! I'm planning on adding some Lexan after I'm done painting it so it'll be stronger.

Another thing I noticed is that the front end tapers back so far that after trimming I'll end up with very little bumper foam left. Pretty crazy....
Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I run the boss 302 and its an extreamly durable body. Only reason to get a new one is to get a new paint job. The front spoiler is thin and I ended up cuttingnit off my first one. After that I just use some shoe goo and drywall tape to re-inforce it. No problems since. You'll probably end up cutting the front spoiler higher than the lines. It sits a good deal lower than the rest of the body. Here are a couple of mine. On the blue and silver I cut thr spoiler about 4mm higher than it sits in the pics. It was rubbing the track in the turns.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

I really like the blue one
Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

parma does make some durable bodies. really beat the crap out of the ones I had and they were still kicking, no damages. Having a car done up as a cop car with working lights and siren, you get to be a target on the field lol.

In a way, I wish I went with those bodies again but my daughter liked the look of the HPI challenger better than Parmas look alike.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Ran a Parma Camaro on my figure 8 car at the last snowbirds, after 100 laps and god knows how many hits it still looked great.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Ran a Parma Camaro on my figure 8 car at the last snowbirds, after 100 laps and god knows how many hits it still looked great.
That's about the only race they're appropriate!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For those who worry about a particular body being too heavy to run, but you really like the looks of it - maybe you need one of these...

It's a PRP Body Scraper

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Body weight, really... I can think of a couple dozen other things to save weight on or will cause me to go faster long before I worry about body weight
Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by theproffesor
The front spoiler is thin and I ended up cuttingnit off my first one. After that I just use some shoe goo and drywall tape to re-inforce it. No problems since. You'll probably end up cutting the front spoiler higher than the lines. It sits a good deal lower than the rest of the body. Here are a couple of mine. On the blue and silver I cut thr spoiler about 4mm higher than it sits in the pics. It was rubbing the track in the turns.
I use scrap lexan as reinforcement and to make gussets that I sho goo in. I will sometimes ask the offroad guys for scraps from the monster truck and 1/8 buggy shells for the thickness. I will even go so far as to save old shells and use them for material to reinforce.

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Body weight, really... I can think of a couple dozen other things to save weight on or will cause me to go faster long before I worry about body weight
Plus you have to make weight in VTA anyway so scraping the shell at best just gives you some room to mount weight lower. A few Grams. No thanks. I will take what durability I can get instead.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.