Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Here is on I did and sold to a local guy. I sandblasted the hood and rear tailight section to make them flat black. The stripes are painted and so are the wheels. I ended up letting it go for barely above the cost of the parts and paint. Made nothing off of my time it took to do it. I know there are alot of guys out there who appriciate what it takes and pay a fair price, but there are alot more who are cheapskates. If it was that easy you wouldnt be asking someone else to paint for you.

On this one the flat black look took me masking the entire exterior after it was all painted, then you have to do decals. Its work, but it looks good and is def worth it.

this one looks real sharp might change my minde and do a 1965 GT 500
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I would gladly paint you one up. Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor
If it was that easy you wouldnt be asking someone else to paint for you.
Very true. For me, painting the bumper so you don't have to use stickers is the hardest part. You don't notice what a difference that makes until you run the body a while.

As for working on bodies, you have to enjoy doing it too. If you are just painting for $$, then you can probably make a lot more per hour at McDonald's flipping burgers.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Very true. I do enjoy painting them. Always have since I was a kid. I really think that its a big part of the hobby, having a unique car. I get erked when I see a single color car with no stickers on it at all. No lights, grill, or manufacture decals, and especially when they dont even tak the time to put the window mask in. Dont get me wrong, single color paint can look good, but you can tell the difference between single color paint job, and a damnit I have to paint this to run it one color paint mess. I usually only paint bodies for others when asked. Only a couple times did I do it before. And both times pretty much gave the bodies away.

I also can agree that that bumper is a huge pain. Or masking around the rear quater panels. Complex curves take some time and patience.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Here's a couple I've done. The green one I ran for quite a while (Faskolor Key Lime). What I liked about the body was that it fit the TC3 chassis just perfect. What I didn't like about it was those sharp front fender corners at the headlights catch easy on anything on the track and crush pretty quickly. Make sure and put some shoe goo in them ahead of time. That helps them look nice longer.

What about the Big Ed's Pizza scheme? That looked good at the nats
Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here is a body I just finished up yesterday for the grand slam race this weekend in Ft Wayne, IN.

I'm a fan of the "just found out back behind a barn" look
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-image.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
Here is a body I just finished up yesterday for the grand slam race this weekend in Ft Wayne, IN.

love the weathered look & the camel is a racing classic
Old 01-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Here's a couple I've done. The green one I ran for quite a while (Faskolor Key Lime).
Really like the Key Lime Green, here it is on my Pantara ... I know I know, not usvta legal, but a really cool body from that era, and having spent some time behind the wheel of a real one ... couldnt resist.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0173.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Dang double post.

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 01-04-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Another exceptional one! And, from the days when advertisers and car owners could do what they wanted to.

Hope you guys have fun this weekend. We had a good turnout at Indy RC even without you guys.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I guess the reason I like to use my best bodies at the biggest races is that all the people who would appreciate it the most will see it and even in the aftermath there is a ton of pictures.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I guess the reason I like to use my best bodies at the biggest races is that all the people who would appreciate it the most will see it and even in the aftermath there is a ton of pictures.
I remember your VTA car especially at the Southern NATS because you took the time to light it. I think you were the only one. That was cool! You should post a photo of that car again Snoop.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ASM
What about the Big Ed's Pizza scheme? That looked good at the nats
Here it is Scott. I've only run it a couple of times. I made it specifically for the concourse competition. Everything is paint except the little decals and grill. Jonesy helped me with masks. Too much work to tear up.

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 01-04-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Here it is Scott. I've only run it a couple of times. I made it specifically for the concourse competition. Everything is paint except the little decals and grill. Jonesy helped me with masks. Too much work to tear up.

Thanks for posting it, it looks real good. I talked to Myron after the race about the concourse judging. Hopefully this year's judging will be handled just a bit different.

Again, that paint job looks classic!!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:33 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Just finished my Mustang Coupe today. I have always run a 68 Camaro painted just black with white decals and a little chrome. I try to keep things rather simple and I feel it looks pretty good going around the track. I made the Mustang almost identical.

Sorry the Mustang isn't too fancy....LOL. The Camaro in the pic is new and is actually sprayed with a lot of green flake backed by black. However, with minimal sunlight, you can't tell....at all.

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-mustang-coupe.jpg

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaro-mustang.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.