Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
"I'm the only REAL Batman!!" "Well, er, that and the only real BeetleJuice."
I always had a hard time thinking of Mr. Mom as being a believable Batman
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

Good point.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've been working on this body for myself for the last couple of weeks when I had time. Ya, I like ORANGE... a lot!

Its the "Genesee Beer Wagon" which ran in T/A, but the real one was actually a '69. I will paint a true to scale '69 eventually, but for me, the 68 bodies seem to hold up a little better.

Its just going to be a shelf queen for a while until I beat the CR*P out of my current body some more.

Metallic orange Faskolor paint with faux orange carbon fiber on the hood. I know that the carbon fiber hood is not period correct, but it does look cool. Additional sponsor decals will be added to make it more vintage looking, but it is all paint now. I cut the numbers from the inside using Fasmask. I taped reverse images on the outside and cut carefully. Don't have to worry about them peeling off now.

NICE!! How are you guys doing the silver around the windows?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxThrottle
I can't speak for anyone else, but I just used the chrome stickers that came with the body. However, next time I plan to try paint the chrome areas with Spaz Stix chrome instead. The tape on the windows has held up fine, but the tape on the bumpers has taken a beating.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MaxThrottle
After you've painted the body, but before you pull your window masks, use a new X-acto blade/knife and carefully follow the outline of the window. You need bright light and clear eyes.

Carefully remove the thin strips that you've cut. Then, you can spray them with chrome, silver or whatever. Back it with white or black depending and you are done. THEN, peel the masks.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

After you've painted the body, but before you pull your window masks, use a new X-acto blade/knife and carefully follow the outline of the window. You need bright light and clear eyes.

Carefully remove the thin strips that you've cut. Then, you can spray them with chrome, silver or whatever. Back it with white or black depending and you are done. THEN, peel the masks.
If you're like me, you ask IndyHobbies for THINNER window trim to be more true to scale.

He then rolls his eyes at you and then does it anyway!

In my defense, when I ask him to paint a body for me, I don't even ask for a price ahead of time.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Aaaahhhhh i see thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is my latest body - a truly rare fish.....

Pegasus Big Fish - (early 70's Barracuda)

PAINT (Scheme based on the French Racing - Monte Carlo Radio - http://www.transamcuda.com/gallery/index.php?cat=7)
- #28117 Model Masters Sublime Green
- RC251 Pactra Sprint White
- RC250 Pactra Outlaw Black (scoop/grill/rear)
- Rustoleum Painters Touch - Matte Clear (dull finish on outside of scoop/grill/rear)

Decals
- Spare decals from an HPI 'Cuda (Plymouth & tail lights)
- Great Planes chrome striping tape (window trim)

Notes
- This is a 2-piece body so you have to attach the rear.
- This body is made from thin lexan. As pictured (with masking tape holding in the rear) it only weighs 118 grams. I would recommend reinforcing the front for racing.
- This body is a bit over-sized compared to most VTA bodies. Front/rear width at the wheel wells is 215mm. Height of the body is 120mm (HPI Camaro is 100mm).

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-pegasus-big-fish-sublime-front.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-pegasus-big-fish-sublime-lf.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-pegasus-big-fish-sublime-rear.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-pegasus-big-fish-sublime-rr.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-pegasus-big-fish-sublime-top.jpg  

Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

That looks nice. As you know, I like that you stuck with your scheme.

I was afraid they would be as ugly as the Parma bodies, but not the case.

It will be interesting to see how it holds up. Do you reinforce it like I do?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My VTA ride. TC4
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-photovta2.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vta-photo.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like McAllister's VTA 69 Mustang, but I was never able to find anyone making grill/tail light decals...so I've bee working on my own for the upcoming "Outlaw VTA Enduro 1,000 Laps / 5 hrs" race in So Cal.

I'll send them to the print shop on Monday to see how they look in "Real Life" and how close they are to fitting.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My lil entry into VTA....
Old 04-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Here is my latest body - a truly rare fish.....

Pegasus Big Fish - (early 70's Barracuda)

PAINT (Scheme based on the French Racing - Monte Carlo Radio - http://www.transamcuda.com/gallery/index.php?cat=7)
- #28117 Model Masters Sublime Green
- RC251 Pactra Sprint White
- RC250 Pactra Outlaw Black (scoop/grill/rear)
- Rustoleum Painters Touch - Matte Clear (dull finish on outside of scoop/grill/rear)

Decals
- Spare decals from an HPI 'Cuda (Plymouth & tail lights)
- Great Planes chrome striping tape (window trim)

Notes
- This is a 2-piece body so you have to attach the rear.
- This body is made from thin lexan. As pictured (with masking tape holding in the rear) it only weighs 118 grams. I would recommend reinforcing the front for racing.
- This body is a bit over-sized compared to most VTA bodies. Front/rear width at the wheel wells is 215mm. Height of the body is 120mm (HPI Camaro is 100mm).

Nice looks good . I did one simmilar to that a while back but red and white.
I like the link too gives me more ideas for paint jobs on the cuda.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Great looking shell Pit-Racer and I like the driver too. What is that from? He looks like the right scale too.

Another great night of Vintage Trans Am racing last night at Indy RC on the south side of Indianapolis! The A Main was great to watch. I got a shot of many of the VTA cars that ran last night but I missed a few. Great looking cars. They also run USGT, TT-01 and Formula 1 on Friday nights.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-002r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-001r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-003r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-004r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-006r.jpg  

Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

A few more...

Same cars racing if you are interested in watching the video.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-008r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-009r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-010r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-011r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtaindyrc041213-012r.jpg  

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 04-13-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.