Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Thunder Jam V (Grand Slam Series)

I wont be there this weekend, due to Thunder Jam V (Grand Slam Series) , which happens to be another great event from Darkside and Thunder RC

here is some info and flyer

Thunder Jam V (Grand Slam Series)
Jan 19-20th
Thunder RC Raceway
Nashville,TN

This is the 5th year for the Thunder Jam On-road Championships. We have been invited to join the Midwest Grand Slam Series this year. The Thunder Jam has always been Southeast premier on-road event. Now with the history of the MWGS, the event will continue to grow and be better than ever.

USVTA Classes:
VTA and GT

ROAR Classes:
12th scale pancar and Touring Car(TC)
mod

Top 3 and TQ payback

Entry:
$35
$25

Limited to 80 bodies

5pm to 10pm Friday practice by classes

5-15 minute blocks of similar cars

Saturday

Class practice 8am till 10:30am practice

11am 3 rounds resort after 2

Sunday

practice 8am till 9:30am

resort for LCQ 10am

mains 30 minutes after last heat.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-thunderjam5b-1.png  
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Have fun and good luck bro. See ya at the shoot out then.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default mustang

66 mustang gt
Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
Which of these VTA bodies do you like the best?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Addict

Has anyone ever bought a pre-painted body from HPI? How do they look?

Most of the ones they have for touring cars have a bunch of goofy graphics all over them for the drifting crowd. I was just curious about the two they have listed for VTA?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
Has anyone ever bought a pre-painted body from HPI? How do they look?
I have bought 2 of the pre-painted bodies; the orange '70 AAR Cuda (#7717) and the red '66 Mustang GT (#100472). They look exactly like the pictures you see below. They don't have any goofy graphics all over them. However the pre-painted '70 AAR Cuda (#7717) does have ventilation holes cut out of the windshield and rear window for use on nitro cars. Even with the holes I still use that body in VTA racing since there is no explicit rules against having holes in the windshield and rear window.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
Which of these VTA bodies do you like the best?
Out of all the HPI bodies, I like the Boss 302 Mustang the best (#17546).

If any of the R/c body manufacturers came out with one of these ....
it would instantly be my favorite body.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Out of the HPI bodies, I like the 1970 Boss 302 Mustang the best (#17546). It is the only USVTA legal body that is allowed to have a wing on the back (scale wing only).

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-boss_302_body.png
Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Out of the HPI bodies, I like the 1970 Boss 302 Mustang the best (#17546). It is the only USVTA legal body that is allowed to have a wing on the back (scale wing only).
Since you went there...

What does everyone think about spoilers? With the size being what they are, do they do anything?

And... is that wing on the Boss better or worse than say the spoiler on the 68 Camaro?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
Out of all the HPI bodies, I like the Boss 302 Mustang the best (#17546).
I did too and bought one as soon as they came out. I painted it kind of a burnt orange and I was going to run it, but the nose on the one I had was really thin. Anybody have the same problem? Has HPI adjusted things so the lexan is thicker there? That's why I still think the 68 Camaro is the best racing choice, it's got a narrower nose that gets caught on less and the lexan seems thicker throughout.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Since you went there...

What does everyone think about spoilers? With the size being what they are, do they do anything?

And... is that wing on the Boss better or worse than say the spoiler on the 68 Camaro?
Mathematically speaking, the wings and spoilers on these VTA cars do nothing to help with downforce on the rear end. But when you ask most VTA drivers, they will say that it makes a world of difference. I believe that the wings and spoilers makes the car "feel" better, or at least it looks much cooler on the track.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if you put enough Shoe Goo in the nose of the car, it doesn't really matter how thin the lexan is. Plus if you do wreck, the boddy looks even more realistic because the lexan bends up like sheet metal does in a wreck.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Since you went there...

Honestly I feel that from a aerodynamics standpoint, The Protoform J71 and the 68 Camaro have a small advantage due to the more curvaceous and bulky fenders. Of coarse this is just an opinion and not factual since there is no real data to support this that I have seen. Though the spoiler on the Boss is more realistic, I doubt that there is any real benefit over it since there is no real true scale 3 dementional bottom to it, and could possibly have a negative effect and creat small amount of lift. When Spoilers like that are designed from the factory, they usually spend a lot of hours in wind tunnel testing to make sure it works, however since you can not built this same shape for the top and the bottom into a cut piece of Lexan it will not give the same effects. Of course we are talking about very small effects here in this scale and weight.

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I did too and bought one as soon as they came out. I painted it kind of a burnt orange and I was going to run it, but the nose on the one I had was really thin. Anybody have the same problem? Has HPI adjusted things so the lexan is thicker there? That's why I still think the 68 Camaro is the best racing choice, it's got a narrower nose that gets caught on less and the lexan seems thicker throughout.
I have noticed this on the Shelby body as well. One thing you can do is to add some epoxy to the nose to build it up a little to make it a little more tough. I have even done this on my J71
Old 01-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

Here's my factory painted HPI 1970 AAR Cuda body ...
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-green_cuda_body.jpg
Old 01-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Looks nice. Is that for a nitro car?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Yes. The body came from a HPI Nitro RS4 RTR 3 EVO+ [HPI105938]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.