Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Originally Posted by raffaelli
great looking body! Who makes it!

Check about 1:50 of this video for a real one I was following http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-4KhmOULJQ
HPI #17502 De Tomaso Pantera

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17502/

Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
the bad then is your going at it the wrong way. it's not the people at HPI it's the people at GM and Ford and Crysler in the licensing divisions. It's all about getting there product out and showing it in the proper light and quality. the other thing to think about is talking to mccalister or even Cyrul about making body based off a nova or whatever on a short run and calling it a snova or something like that. something as long as you don't do a direct copy they probably won't hassle them much. Dahms use to do it all the time.
RE: licensing

We (hpiracing) usually work with a licensing agency that is hired by the manufacturers, so there is actually very little contact with the actual manufacturers. So they are looking at it purely from a numbers/revenue point of view. Unfortunately this usually also means that regardless of how enthused someone at say GM or Ford is (ie. maybe the design, motorsports guys etc.) it's up to the licensing agencies.

On the subject of of making "similar" models.....they will come after you . There had been cases where an agency representing Ford for example, has contacted a certain manufacturer because the "generic" headlights on they're "generic" body looks like a Ford headlight. The same has happened with several other manufacturers. So, ... shouldn't go there unless you're prepared to deal with the consequences.

Cheers,

AH

Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Screw the "biggies" as they are. They should be more worried about going bankrupt! If anyone can come up with a good enough mold that can pull a sheet of lexan just keep it on the "DL" and bring more diversity and interest in this class
Old 08-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by andyh
HPI #17502 De Tomaso Pantera

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17502/

Sweet!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

great looking body! Who makes it!

Check about 1:50 of this video for a real one I was following http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-4KhmOULJQ
Thanks

My friend in Holland has one ... had a chance to drive it when I visited

The Pantera is not legal under the Trans-Am rules, but down here in FL we can run it Its got the same V8 as the Mustang
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rojna
Thanks

My friend in Holland has one ... had a chance to drive it when I visited

The Pantera is not legal under the Trans-Am rules, but down here in FL we can run it Its got the same V8 as the Mustang
Very good! It's got the 351 Cleveland, which was available in Mustangs from 1970-1973.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sweet!
Originally Posted by andyh
RE: licensing

We (hpiracing) usually work with a licensing agency that is hired by the manufacturers, so there is actually very little contact with the actual manufacturers. So they are looking at it purely from a numbers/revenue point of view. Unfortunately this usually also means that regardless of how enthused someone at say GM or Ford is (ie. maybe the design, motorsports guys etc.) it's up to the licensing agencies.

On the subject of of making "similar" models.....they will come after you . There had been cases where an agency representing Ford for example, has contacted a certain manufacturer because the "generic" headlights on they're "generic" body looks like a Ford headlight. The same has happened with several other manufacturers. So, ... shouldn't go there unless you're prepared to deal with the consequences.

Cheers,

AH

thanks for the insight on the similar models. I had a feeling you might run into that but it was worth a pitch. licensing is where it's at. just figured the bigs ones might do that inhouse. well there is always hoping. just glad you got the deal with porsche. I'm thinking about running a GT1 in our TA class. we sort of have open non TC non truck body rule
Old 08-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sources for HPI V T/A bodies...

I've been looking for someone who carries the Mustang, Camaro and Cuda body for a decent price...(Don't know what most are paying, but I've seen them for $30.00 in the hobbyshops)

gohobbies.com has the cuda and mustang for under $20.00 and the camaro is $21.00 - they also have a "FLAT FEE" for shipping of I believe $7.95...

(only problem I saw was they are in CA. so I'd still have to pay the 8% sales tax) but I wanted to pass the info along incase someone was paying way more for these...
Old 08-23-2008, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
Sources for HPI V T/A bodies...

I've been looking for someone who carries the Mustang, Camaro and Cuda body for a decent price...(Don't know what most are paying, but I've seen them for $30.00 in the hobbyshops)

gohobbies.com has the cuda and mustang for under $20.00 and the camaro is $21.00 - they also have a "FLAT FEE" for shipping of I believe $7.95...

(only problem I saw was they are in CA. so I'd still have to pay the 8% sales tax) but I wanted to pass the info along incase someone was paying way more for these...
nice find...I was at a LHS and saw $30 for the camaro body and was shocked!
Old 08-23-2008, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

I guess I should feel lucky that Hobbytown North in Indy stocks all the HPI bodies at a decent price. They also have/had the Parma and Pegusus bodies. Well on second thought, they are enabling my need to paint more bodies
Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Indy,

if I can get this class off the ground here locally - you want to paint a couple bodies? ( I hate painting, and yours look sweet. )

I'm putting on a charity/benefit race the end of Sept. and I'm hoping we can kick this class off for that. The race is part of a car show that's raising money for local cancer survivors, and the nostagilc theme of these cars works really well with the car show. ( www.cruzinforlife.net )

Last year we did the McAllister Mustangs, but they are really too wide for the TC's, but these cars were loaned to cancer survivors who wanted to race - the throttles were turned WAY DOWN, and they got to learn how to drive R/C cars.

Last edited by SWTour; 08-24-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

I think there was a typo to the link - this one worked for me (http://www.cruzinforlife.net/)
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-07-19-08_2127.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-07-19-08_2128.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-07-20-08_1645.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-07-20-08_1658.jpg  

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 08-24-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

got it

Last edited by KE4PJO; 08-24-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

trying to post pics...I think I got it....here are some random pics of races and rides....
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-07-20-08_1354.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-07-20-08_1358.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-07-20-08_1646.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-07-20-08_1647.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-07-20-08_1710.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.