Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Issues with Flo Yellow/Flo Green Flaking >

Issues with Flo Yellow/Flo Green Flaking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By buggybug
  • 1 Post By IndyRC_Racer

Issues with Flo Yellow/Flo Green Flaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Issues with Flo Yellow/Flo Green Flaking

Hello,

My friend who paints locally is having issues with flo yellow and flo green flaking real easy on bodies. Sprays on thin coats no heat lamp tried several different brands anyone have any tips or tricks with flo colors??
Old 05-03-2021, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I never had issues with fluorescent colors flaking. I always back them with white. I degrease the body with dish soap before painting.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Body prep before painting can make a big difference with "stickage" of paint to a polycarbonate body. Like buggybug above already stated, at a minimum clean out the body with a degreasing dish soap which will help clean out any mold release that may be on the polycarbonate body. Unless you are painting chrome paints, you can also scuff up the inside of the body with a green dish sponge (or fine steel wool) to help create scratches in the surface of the polycarbonate body. This gives the paint more surface area to stick to. This might make the body look a bit "foggy" before painting but will look fine after the paint is applied.

You can also try applying a good polycarbonate clear coat to the body before applying any colors that you may be giving you issues. This will also give any problematic paint a better chance to stick to something. However make sure if you are using different brands of paintt and clear coats to test to make sure there are no adverse reactions.

You also want to make sure you are working with paints designed to flex. Polycarbonate paints designed for R/C bodies are designed to be able to flex and are less likely to chip or scratch off. However no paint is 100% perfect. It is always a good idea to use a final 'cover coat" over the paint job as protection. But always be mindful to use light coats as each additional paint coat will add weight to the body.

One final thing is to make sure you are painting in a climate controlled environment. Make sure the body is at room temperature before painting it. If your only choice is painting outside on a cold day, make sure the body and the paint are warm before going outside to paint. Cold paint on a cold body can cause issues. Let the body/paint come back up to room temp before applying any addition layers of paint.
Flipside6900 likes this.