Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Tamiya PS Paint - Making a Metallic Black Effect >

Tamiya PS Paint - Making a Metallic Black Effect

Tamiya PS Paint - Making a Metallic Black Effect

Old 05-04-2021, 08:19 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)
Default Tamiya PS Paint - Making a Metallic Black Effect

I am looking to paint some bodies here using Tamiya PS spray paints. In general, when I use there black or white paints I end up with kind of flat color, not metallic. I don't see a metallic option for black or white.

What do you do to get a metallic effect for black or white tamiya paints? Looking to get that real car look to it. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Haven't done it myself but you have the option of applying PS58 Pearl Clear as the first coat and then applying your PS5 black afterwards.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can try putting down a light coat of Tamiya PS-36 Translucent Silver before spraying any other color. Here is a link on TamiyaUSA for this paint...

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray...lucent-silver/

I have used this paint on several bodies and it give a very fine metallic look to the overall paint job. I think it also creates a bit of depth to the paint scheme. The only issue that you can have is if you put down too much of the translucent silver it can make the finish look too silver depending on the angle you are looking at the body.

You can also use Tamiya PS-58 Pearl Clear as a base coat to create some interesting affects before you put down a color. Using Pearl Clear before painting white will give a good affect. It can work with other colors as well.

You can also use Tamiya PS translucent paints to create interesting affects with different colors. Here is a link showing how someone applied paints in multiple layers including good photos...
https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/ind...with-pictures/

If you are looking for an interesting effect there is Tamiya PS-53 Lame Flake which apparently is a clear paint with multicolored flakes. Here is a link where someone backed it with Tamiya PS-46 Iridescent Purple/Green then backed it with black...
https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/6870242-post10.html

----------

I only paint with rattle cans and I really enjoy using the Tamiya PS paints. The cans spray in a fine mist so you might need an extra layer to get the thickness required depending on how see-thru you want the paint to be. If your local hobby store or paint supplier doesn't carry all of the paints, here is a link to TamiyaUSA's website...
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/paint...bonate/?page=1

Hope this information helps.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 05-04-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is an HPI 7412 Ford Focus WRC body that I painted using Tamiya Translucent Silver backed by Tamiya Translucent Green (IIRC). I don't remember if I used the translucent silver before I painted the blue. If you zoom in on the green you can see that it has a bit of a metallic look to it. Not the same as actually metallic flake paints, but it does give a good depth to the paint in person.

I hope this information helps.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:33 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)

thanks guys that look sreally good on the silver backed with green, very metallic. I got the flake here, but I am thinking I may want more of a just a metallic black versus "sparkles" lol if that makes sense. Thanks again.